Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: My First 914
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
turnaround89
This friday i will be buying my first 914, it has flares and a 916 front end on it. I can't wait to get it, however the guy is giving me a ton a parts with the car. Do you guys think i should sell the parts and put the money towards the porsche or just keep the parts? The guy parted out a 75 914 and that is where all the parts are coming from. The car is complete from what it looks like from the pictures he sent me so i don't think i will need the parts.

Here are some pictures of the car i am buying
http://s268.photobucket.com/albums/jj2/ahe...t=IMGP02991.jpg
http://s268.photobucket.com/albums/jj2/ahe...t=IMGP03001.jpg
http://s268.photobucket.com/albums/jj2/ahe...t=IMGP03011.jpg
http://s268.photobucket.com/albums/jj2/ahe...t=IMGP03021.jpg

Here is a list of what he is giving me

A set of doors with glass and panels from a 75
Four stock fenders
Two extra Targa Tops
A side shifter trans with starter, linkage, and all mounts
Engine Lid
Rear Deck Lid
Two sets of rims
Both Headlight assemblies
Most of the interior swtiches and console with gauges from a 75
SirAndy
QUOTE(turnaround89 @ Jul 16 2008, 12:02 PM) *

Do you guys think i should sell the parts and put the money towards the porsche

yes. sell the '75 stuff and put it towards the new car ...
bye1.gif Andy

PS: welcome.png
Rusty
welcome.png

I like the color on your new car. smile.gif
porschecb
Interesting wheels. welcome.png
r_towle
sell everything but the transmission, you will eventually need to rebuild a tranny and its better to have the car driving while you rebuild the spare.

Hey, nice Baja beetle...cool ride, looks like alot of fun.
rich
turnaround89
Thanks, that what i was planning on doing with the parts, but i have no idea what these parts will go for. I think i might keep the transmission and sell the rest of the car, but i have no idea what these parts will sell for. I don't need the fenders because i like the flares. i love the color as well, and i just hope the wheels are on wheel adapters. I do like the wheels and have never seen anything like them before. I can't wait to get the car and start cruising around town.
Eric_Ciampa
The car is complete from what it looks like from the pictures he sent me so i don't think i will need the parts.

av-943.gif How many a new 914 owner has said this. BTW, the car does look great.

i have no idea what these parts will sell for

Neither do I most of the time. Just search the classifieds forums here and maybe some of the other boards to find out a fair price for your parts. That should give you all the info you need (hint, restrict your search to the specific classified forum.)

syes. sell the '75 stuff and put it towards the new car ... Andy

agree.gif You will certainly have to start purchasing things soon (either by choice or necessity) but the part that fails is never the same part that is lying around the garage. Sell everything but the transmission and put that money toward your future projects. I would also start rebuilding the spare transmission now, then put it in your car and sell your old transmission that is known to be good. IMHO

Congrats on the new ride beerchug.gif

turnaround89
I will post some pictures Friday of the parts and some more pictures of the car itself. The owner says the only issue with the car is the brakes need to be bled and the jack plates may need to be replaced. It does drive and stop but rebleeding the brakes will help. I have bled the brakes on my VW Baja Bug, is a 914 any different? It was pretty simple with the vw. I am so excited to get the car because my collection of two cars will be awesome, both are german, flat four engine, and built in the same year. Thanks again everybody!

r_towle
the Baja bug is a father and son project. My dad and I have a lot of fun working on the car together and keep making it better, however it is nowhere near done. The pictures on photobucket don't show what the car looks like right now, the whole roll cage is in the car and it is in primer.
So.Cal.914
QUOTE(r_towle @ Jul 16 2008, 02:05 PM) *

sell everything but the transmission, you will eventually need to rebuild a tranny and its better to have the car driving while you rebuild the spare.

agree.gif

It looks very nice, I would do as Rich sudjested. Never hurts to have another side

shifter around. These cars are way to fun, got mine in 82 and everytime I get in

It is like the first time. smile.gif Welcome to the Jungle...Click to view attachment
Leo Imperial
Jack plates may need to be replaced? That could be serious. Post some pictures of the longs and inside the engine compartment.
turnaround89
Ill post some pictures when i get the car on friday. What needs to be done if the jack plates need to be replaced? Is this a diy project or professional job? My dad and i are mechanically inclined and both of us can weld, so could i do it myself?
Leo Imperial
If the jack points have failed then the longs under the rockers a probably rotted. Do a search for long replacement or look at any number of the resoration threads and you will get an idea of what is involved. Based on some of the Baha pictures you posted it looks like you can handle the work.

The other area you will need to focus on is the area under the battery tray inside the engine compartment on the passenger side. This is the area know as the "Hell Hole" for it's abilty to rust through from years of rain water washing over the battery down into this hard to reach corner.

I am in no way looking to discourage you. Many here have spent the time to correct rust issues and are glad to have done it. Your car may not have this problem, but it sounds like the car was purchased via the photos you have shared and if that is the case the seller has failed to show you the areas we all look for... inside the trunks, under the rockers, floors and hell hole.

The parts you are getting with your purchase will go a long way toward getting the car to where you want it to be. The site is a great resource and you will find it is very addictive. sawzall-smiley.gif drunk.gif welcome.png
seanery
why is the front end so high?

i'd keep the tranny, too.
turnaround89
I plan to fix any rust issues with the car to get it where i want it, it will be a summer only car. The floors and trunk areas have no rust and battery tray is still in the car. Are there possible ways to fix the car with my own braces as well as stock replacement parts for the car? I guess what i am trying to say is, does anyone add extra braces somewhere in the car or on the chassis to stiffen it up more and have a little more insurance from the car sagging? thanks everybody

Don't worry Leo i don't think you will discourage me, give me the straight truth about whatever i need to worry about. Working on the baja i learned that fixing rusted areas aren't too bad if you take your time. Trust me, i dealt with a ton of rust on the vw. I think i got as much as humanly possible off the car, only thing better would be an acid dip and i don't have that kind of money and in reality its just a VW built for fun and not a show car.
turnaround89
I promised more pictures, well here is my 1972 914. i drove the car for the first time today and it went well driving.gif , but i need to get more gas before i drive it again tomorrow. A lot of the electrical parts on the car work as to my amazement. The only thing that doesn't work are the turn signals don't light up in the tach. The body is a little rough, definitely fixable. The battery tray is in good condition, but i plan on replacing it. Also, the jack plates need to be replaced but the longs don't. Haven't found any rust that goes through, pretty solid car, just needs some body work and some more blue paint.

Just if anyone was wondering, the rims are off of a chevy truck with wheel adaptors. Not the biggest fan of wheel adaptors but they will do for now until i can buy some fuchs for the car.

Hope you guys like it, cause i am in love with it!!!
IPB Image
IPB Image
IPB Image
IPB Image
IPB Image
IPB Image
IPB Image
markb
I really like the looks of your car. It looks like they did a good job on the 916 front end. You might decide whether or not you want to hang on to the center console. It's nice to have the extra gauges. It may be sitting high in the front because of the wide rims & adapters. I'd get those off ASAP, before you do any hard cornering.

welcome.png
LowGT
QUOTE(turnaround89 @ Jul 20 2008, 09:26 PM) *

IPB Image

The rear wheel looks weird in that photo, it doesn't seem bad in the other photos though. Maybe it's just the angle or something, but it just looks weird.
SirAndy
QUOTE(markb @ Jul 20 2008, 06:40 PM) *

It may be sitting high in the front because of the wide rims & adapters. I'd get those off ASAP, before you do any hard cornering.

agree.gif

the front is waaaay too high, or the rear waaaay too low, depending on how you look at it ...

nice score otherwise!
smilie_pokal.gif Andy

PS: can you get a better shot of those custom rear flares? they don't look like your standard GT flares ... idea.gif
rebelmdot
welcome.png

Nice car, congratulations and welcome!
dakotaewing
Turnaround -
Welcome to the madness -
There are quite few local guys that are very knowledgable with these cars -
Just let us know if you meed anything, and we will do what we can to help out -
turnaround89
Thanks everybody, I will probably need some help sooner or later. I will try to get some pictures of the flares when i go over tonight and drive the car again. I don't have the money right now for new rims so i'll have to keep the adaptors on sad.gif , i should be fine since i don't plan on taking it to a track anytime, just normal driving through town and to class next semester. Anyone have any ideas on how to fix the suspension, is the car supposed to sit level or have a little rake to it. Could it be the shocks on the car or mainly the adaptors like markb said? thanks again.
Sleepin
Welcome!!!

Car looks good! I had those same wheels on my old 95 S-10!
SGB
It is VERY easy to lower the front. There is a screw at the torsion bar at each front wheel that needs to be backed off a turn or two. It is possible that there is no more adjustment in that direction. Then you have to remove the screw entirely, pull the cap off the torsion bar, and slip it a couple of splines in the desired direction, then put caop back on and adjust hight with the aforementioned adjusting screw.
turnaround89
Thanks for the help with the height problem, when i move to my new house in 2 weeks i will take a look at it. right now, i might have a bigger problem. I drove the car tonight and so did my dad. When i drove it i could not get the car into fourth gear, so i would skip it and go to fifth. It shifts to every gear except fourth. However, when my dad drove it, he was able to get it into fourth once and that was it. I never really got the car up to speed until tonight and man is it a fun car and takes corners like no other, but what would cause me not getting into fourth gear? Once i move there will be some major progress going on with the car but that won't happen for two weeks. thanks everybody!!
turnaround89
Well, I finally got the car out onto the road and not just in my neighborhood. It did great until i stopped at the bank. I made a deposit at the bank and when i came out and got in the car, it would not start. Evertime i tried to start it, it seemed like the starter was losing energy. I would let it sit for awhile and try again, the starter would give one good go, but after that just kept losing power. I couldn't even jump the car, so i had to have to it towed home. Wasn't a big deal but what would cause this? I drove the car for probably 20 minutes before stopping at the bank. However, today the car started right up again like nothing happened.
LowGT
QUOTE(turnaround89 @ Jul 30 2008, 08:37 PM) *

Well, I finally got the car out onto the road and not just in my neighborhood. It did great until i stopped at the bank. I made a deposit at the bank and when i came out and got in the car, it would not start. Evertime i tried to start it, it seemed like the starter was losing energy. I would let it sit for awhile and try again, the starter would give one good go, but after that just kept losing power. I couldn't even jump the car, so i had to have to it towed home. Wasn't a big deal but what would cause this? I drove the car for probably 20 minutes before stopping at the bank. However, today the car started right up again like nothing happened.

Sounds like the all too common starter solenoid issue. Suffers from old age and heat soak. Just need to grab a 911 starter or a hi torque mini starter to avoid the problem. You could try a "hot start" kit, which is just a remotely mounted solenoid, but if you are super special smart like some of the installs I've seen it will be mounted near the original starter and suffer from heat soak too. smile.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.