Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Brake Pedal of No Return
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
edrotol
What does it mean when I push the brake pedal, the car stops, but the pedal does not go back to its original up position, and I have to kinda bring it back up with my foot. If I do not do anything the pedal goes back up very very slowly.
Opinions anyone? Thanks.
TravisNeff
sticking calipers or bad bushings in the pedal assembly.
Cap'n Krusty
Sticky calipers or plugged hoses won't make the pedal stay down. Bad bushings will, and they're bad as a result of a master cylinder leak, which may be past or current. Rebuild the pedal cluster and replace the offending master cylinder. The Cap'n
Eric_Shea
agree.gif wholeheartedly. You have bad pedal bushings. wink.gif
edrotol
QUOTE(Eric_Shea @ Jul 16 2008, 06:47 PM) *

agree.gif wholeheartedly. You have bad pedal bushings. wink.gif

Thanks to all which begs the next question ?

Is it better to do the whole pedal assembly or just the bushings - isn't the same time to do both - remove, do and reinstall ???/ BTW it is a alsmost concours 76 2.0 white/tan Thanks again.
Eric_Shea
One "is" the other unless you can find a new pedal assembly. If you're willing to pay for a new assembly, go that route.

What I mean is; as stated, if you're going to remove the assembly, do it all (proper prep, paint/powdercoat) before you install new bushings and put it back.

The hardest part can be getting the clutch arm off. Some can get stuck and stuck good.
davep
What Eric did not mention is that he can also supply beautifully refinished pedal assemblies. There are a few others that can rebuild them also.
There was a good deal on master cylinders on eBay recently. Chinese made I believe, but might be good value.
Generally, you need to replace the MC, the rubber lines, and rebuild the pedal assembly about once every 10 to 12 years. That is also pretty true for caliper rebuilds also. Not too bad if you maintain them on a regular basis.
swl
QUOTE(davep @ Jul 16 2008, 06:41 PM) *

Chinese made I believe, but might be good value.

At the risk of getting political... The stories of Chinese lousy QA are legion. I would not trust anything as important as my brakes to a Chinese bargain.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.