Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Replacing Engine Mounts on my 75 914
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
dale 914
Hey,
I am getting ready to replace my 2 engine mounts on my 75 teener and am in need of some assistance. Does anyone have some pictures and / or steps necessary to remove and reinstall th enew engine mounts?
Thanks.
Dale
SLITS
No pics until maybe Sunday ....

Support engine case with a jack (after jacking up car and putting it on jackstands)

Remove engine bar end mounts and the two nuts in the recesses on engine mounts .. drop engine bar

This exposes the mounts and the engine mounts. 4 bolts to remove mounts from engine or 2 nuts on top of the mounts to remove mounts. All about 13 mm as I remember. 1/4" rachet & socket works as I remember (tight space)

Installation is the reverse of the above
G e o r g e
agree.gif

but in

Support engine case with a jack (after jacking up car and putting it on jackstands)

Remove engine bar end mounts and the two nuts in the recesses on engine mounts .. drop engine bar

This exposes the mounts and the engine mounts. 4 bolts to remove mounts from engine or 2 nuts on top of the mounts to remove mounts. All about 13 mm as I remember. 1/4" rachet & socket works as I remember (tight space)

Eggplant laugh.gif
SLITS
QUOTE(George H. @ Jul 16 2008, 04:13 PM) *

agree.gif

but in

Eggplant laugh.gif

That's freakin' purple ....don't try to pass off this "eggplant or aubergine" bullshit. This isn't the CW foreskin.
dale 914
QUOTE(SLITS @ Jul 16 2008, 04:10 PM) *

No pics until maybe Sunday ....

Ron,
thanks alot. Sounds reasonably straight forward.

Dale
SirAndy
and while you're in there, check the transmission mounts for cracks in the rubber part ...
bye1.gif Andy
Dave_Darling
Access to the nuts on top of the rubber mounts is a pain. I recall removing my oil filter and getting access to the area that way. I couldn't fit my arm and the ratchet in there any other way. The whole "1/25th of a turn at a time" thing got old quickly too...

--DD
rhodyguy
ron and dave have sumed it up. not hard, but not a whole lot of fun either. if the fasteners on the end of the bar haven't been loosened in some time squirt them down with penetrant and let it work before you get started. hopefully the solid outboard mounts are not all bent up. if they are, replace them.

k
TheCabinetmaker
I did this just a few months ago. I did not remove the engine bar. With the oil filter out, its tight but doable.
MartyYeoman
QUOTE(vsg914 @ Jul 17 2008, 11:41 AM) *

I did this just a few months ago. I did not remove the engine bar. With the oil filter out, its tight but doable.

agree.gif
I did mine the same way.
ericread
QUOTE(Marty Yeoman @ Jul 17 2008, 12:59 PM) *

QUOTE(vsg914 @ Jul 17 2008, 11:41 AM) *

agree.gif
I did mine the same way.

"Tight but doable" Describes some of the best times I've had in my life... lol3.gif

dale 914
Okay, well last night didn't make it in my top 10! I attempted to replace the engine mounts with no luck - I could NOT get a socket on the upper mount nut. therefore unable to remove it! First off, I am quite sure you cannot replace the mounts without removing the engine support bar nuts, you have no way to remove or install the engine mount if you don't perform this step. So I did remove the support nuts and was able to move it out of the way. Both engine mounts were (are) broken and I was able to wrestle the old lower halves out, but could not get a 1/4" racket on the upper nut to remove the upper piece - I am frustrated. I ended up spending about 4 hours only to reinstall the old broken mounts.

Thoughts besides questioning my automotive skills?

Thanks.

Dale

WTF.gif
rhodyguy
just to be sure. you're not trying to remove the bracket portion (3 bolts that go into the case) right? iirc when i intalled the rubber mounts (without removing the fan shroud) i used a box wrench. move the nut securing the mount to the bracket a fraction, repeat, repeat, repeat. get the damn bar out of the way! TOTALLY!

k
dale 914
QUOTE(rhodyguy @ Jul 18 2008, 09:55 AM) *

just to be sure. you're not trying to remove the bracket portion (3 bolts that go into the case) right? iirc when i intalled the rubber mounts (without removing the fan shroud) i used a box wrench. move the nut securing the mount to the bracket a fraction, repeat, repeat, repeat. get the damn bar out of the way! TOTALLY!

k

Correct, I was not trying to remove the mounting bracket - tring to remove the one 13 mm nut on the top of the engine rubber mount. Well you can only move the engine support bar so much since the spedometer cable(?) and tranny shifter (?) run through the bar. Also, yes the fan housing is a major contributor to the lack of access. It did not look like it would be an easy move.
You actually got a wrench on the nut??

What's the next step, remove the engine / tranny?
Thanks
Dale
headbang.gif
rhodyguy
with the engine removed you'll find it'll be harder yet with the engine laying on the floor unless you take the fan shroud off. pita. one of those ratcheting box end wrenches might be handy. but i did it without one.

k
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.