Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: 1971 has no High beams
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
914fun
I just purchased a 1971 and the p.o. said they did not come with high beams. But when I look at the wiring in the haynes it shows it with two eliments like a high and low beam but I cant fined any switches for it in the car. How can this pass inspection. I have no horn and the wiring in the hayns dosnt show one, whats up with that?
Zundfolge
QUOTE(914fun @ Jul 16 2008, 09:43 PM) *

I just purchased a 1971 and the p.o. said they did not come with high beams. But when I look at the wiring in the haynes it shows it with two eliments like a high and low beam but I cant fined any switches for it in the car. How can this pass inspection. I have no horn and the wiring in the hayns dosnt show one, whats up with that?

The switch is on the turn signal switch (just pull it toward you). Its just two wires, a brown one with a blue stripe and a brown one (but double check that against one of the wiring diagrams on Pelican Parts site)

They break easy ... mine doesn't work either.

Oh and expect a dozen posts telling you to burn the Haynes manual as the one for the 914 is so wrong on so many things that its actually dangerous.
LowGT
Oh they have them, pull the turn signal lever towards you to turn them on. If they still don't come on, check your fuses and relays. under the dash.

You should also have a horn. Check fuses for that, then the wiring under the center of the steering wheel (push horn in, turn counter clockwise), if it still down't work check the wiring and if the horns are even there. The should be behind the front bumper. One on each side near the bumper grilles.

Good luck! Electrical issues are fun.
SirAndy
QUOTE(914fun @ Jul 16 2008, 07:43 PM) *

I have no horn and the wiring in the hayns dosnt show one

sure it does ... rolleyes.gif

item 64, showing a black/yellow and brown/white wire.

black/yellow is 12V from fuse 9 going to the horn, brown/white is ground going to the steering column horn button.

as for the highbeams, your PO is wrong. they are run through a relay which you activate by moving the turn signal lever towards you. you should hear the relay click ...
bye1.gif Andy
Smitty911
QUOTE(SirAndy @ Jul 16 2008, 11:40 PM) *

QUOTE(914fun @ Jul 16 2008, 07:43 PM) *

I have no horn and the wiring in the hayns dosnt show one

sure it does ... rolleyes.gif

item 64, showing a black/yellow and brown/white wire.

black/yellow is 12V from fuse 9 going to the horn, brown/white is ground going to the steering column horn button.

as for the highbeams, your PO is wrong. they are run through a relay which you activate by moving the turn signal lever towards you. you should hear the relay click ...
bye1.gif Andy

Hate to jump in but I have the opposite. I now have two working High Beams and no low beams. I cleaned the Grounds and got both Highs working. But the lows are still out.

I ordered a new self canceling turn ring, so when it get here I have to pull the wheel so If I need something I'd like to do it once. (if at all possible)

Thanks

Smitty
914fun
Thanks for the info. Found alot of wires under dash not hooker to anything, dang what a mess! Ill get to go into it more on Friday. Thanks again.
blitZ
The headlight relay is mounted on top of the fuse panel. The panel has to be removed to access it. I would definitely check it, replacing it solved my headlight issues.
914fun
puled the lever and there is no click sound. must be bad right? Anybody know where the relay that makes the turn signals blink is at?
Bleyseng
on the fuse panel.
rhodyguy
the relay is located on top of the interior fuse panel. you have to remove the fastenters and lower the panel to access the relay. with the lights in the on postion, activate the turn signal stalk (pull it back) and you may hear the clicking and/or feel the relay trying to work.
SirAndy
QUOTE(914fun @ Jul 17 2008, 06:22 AM) *

Anybody know where the relay that makes the turn signals blink is at?

and that is also in the haynes manual. with a picture and descriptions of each item on the fuse panel, no less ...

biggrin.gif Andy
rhodyguy
page #?
SirAndy
QUOTE(rhodyguy @ Jul 17 2008, 11:06 AM) *

page #?

my manual is in the car, where it belongs ... rolleyes.gif

don't remember the page #, but i do remember the picture of the fuse panel with the relays etc. ...
bye1.gif Andy
914fun
page 128
914fun
I see the back of the panel on page 128 and the light dimmer relay but not the one for the turn signals. sorry, I not trying to be domb. all alittle new for me.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.