Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Original spare tire?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > Originality and History
championgt1
Just wondering what the original spare tire brand and size would have been for a 74 2.0.

The spare tire in my car appears to be old, yet it is in great shape. The markings on the tire say Dunlop SP 57, and Rayon 165HR15 Radial Tubeless.

Does this sound like it could be the original spare?
dw914er
my spare is a michelin xzx 165HR15. I am pretty sure it is the original spare tyre (my mom doesnt remember ever replacing the spare, though the tire is useless now (wont hold air, but tread is good)

I do think we (mom back in 73) special ordered the car to have michelin tires though
davep
Dunlop SP 57 is most likely the original spare. I also have one of those.
championgt1
Cool! Thanks for the info. I am just surprised how good of shape it is in for a 34 year old tire.
70Sixter
Hang on to it. It'll look good at a show after you get it to hold air. Tire repair goop or maybe a tube.
championgt1
My tire holds air fine. The wheel needs to be refinished. I am thinking about having a tire shop remove the tire so I can refinish the wheel.
Pat Garvey
QUOTE(championgt1 @ Jul 17 2008, 01:49 PM) *

My tire holds air fine. The wheel needs to be refinished. I am thinking about having a tire shop remove the tire so I can refinish the wheel.

Look, that tire is OLD! May hold air in the trunk, but put it on the road and you may get a surprise. If you insist on keeping it as a spare (still have my original spare Continental from 72), you should probablt put a tube in it, and use Nitrogen instead of air. Still wouldn't trust it for very long on the car.
Pat
dw914er
QUOTE(Pat Garvey @ Jul 17 2008, 06:37 PM) *

QUOTE(championgt1 @ Jul 17 2008, 01:49 PM) *

Look, that tire is OLD! May hold air in the trunk, but put it on the road and you may get a surprise. If you insist on keeping it as a spare (still have my original spare Continental from 72), you should probablt put a tube in it, and use Nitrogen instead of air. Still wouldn't trust it for very long on the car.
Pat

good point,
the tire probably isnt safe to use, just cool to have
davep
If we ask around enough we may find enough identical, original spares to make a set? What would that be worth to a CW??
70Sixter
QUOTE(Pat Garvey @ Jul 17 2008, 09:37 PM) *

Pat

Pat's right. I wouldn't recommend driving on tires over 5-6 years old regardless of wear. Shows/concours are a different matter. Just for display and then back on the rack.
Johny Blackstain
QUOTE(davep @ Jul 18 2008, 04:25 PM) *

If we ask around enough we may find enough identical, original spares to make a set? What would that be worth to a CW??

Dave, I hate it when one of my Evil thoughts becomes public... happy11.gif
I have 2 & need 3 more of those Dunlop SPs & I have a complete set of original "tyres"
smg914
QUOTE(davep @ Jul 18 2008, 12:25 PM) *

At one point I was going to try and aquire 4 Dunlop SP 57's that were never on the ground to match the spare in my Sahara Beige car. I found one and purchased it but later gave up on that idea. If anyone is interested in a 165R15 Dunlop SP 57 that has never been on the ground I would be willing to sell it. I paid $50.00 for it back in 2002.
mrgreenjeans

I also have an o.e. tire, never been on the ground, still with the nibs, on an original Fuchs for a 74- 2.0 litre.

I only have it in the trunk for show, and remove it when I drive. Put back a more viable tire and wheel, altho that's a steelie.

Its kinda cool to have around, even tho its nothing more than a wall hanger, to use a phrase from the gun collectors I know.

In looking at the thing, it makes a guy almost grow longer hair and turn the stero to 70's Rock.............
Pat Garvey
QUOTE(mrgreenjeans @ Jul 19 2008, 05:12 PM) *

I also have an o.e. tire, never been on the ground, still with the nibs, on an original Fuchs for a 74- 2.0 litre.

I only have it in the trunk for show, and remove it when I drive. Put back a more viable tire and wheel, altho that's a steelie.

Its kinda cool to have around, even tho its nothing more than a wall hanger, to use a phrase from the gun collectors I know.

In looking at the thing, it makes a guy almost grow longer hair and turn the stero to 70's Rock.............

Don't have the long hair, but rock died after the 70's. Guess what I listen to......
70Sixter
I just got this off my PCA RSS feed. Last digits of that long DOT number sequence is the "born on" date.

Long ABC News story to watch before you learn anything most of us don't already know. "New" tires are being sold that are years old.

http://abcnews.go.com/Video/playerIndex?id=4826897

Pat Garvey
QUOTE(70Sixter @ Jul 30 2008, 02:53 PM) *

I just got this off my PCA RSS feed. Last digits of that long DOT number sequence is the "born on" date.

Long ABC News story to watch before you learn anything most of us don't already know. "New" tires are being sold that are years old.

http://abcnews.go.com/Video/playerIndex?id=4826897

Yeah,

Not that I will buy either, but if you're a "true weenie", which I am apparently not anymore, you'll either buy new "old" tires, or new "old design" tires (Cocker). Either way - you lose (IMO).
Pat
Jasfsmith
QUOTE(Pat Garvey @ Jul 30 2008, 10:41 PM) *

Yeah,

Not that I will buy either, but if you're a "true weenie", which I am apparently not anymore, you'll either buy new "old" tires, or new "old design" tires (Cocker). Either way - you lose (IMO).
Pat

Nice guy. Now your calling me a loser... <grin>
davep
QUOTE(Johny Blackstain @ Jul 18 2008, 01:57 PM) *

Dave, I hate it when one of my Evil thoughts becomes public... happy11.gif
I have 2 & need 3 more of those Dunlop SPs & I have a complete set of original "tyres"

Well, Jack, Steve and myself could each supply one. Possibly for the cost of shipping.
Damn, I forgot, How do we get original air back in there? idea.gif
championgt1
Looks like I should get another wheel with a newer tire to use as an actual spare. With this one I think I will unmount it then refinish the stock wheel. Just because.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.