Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: First Oil Change any tips, which oil?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
klikkid3
Well I just purchased the car a couple of weeks ago and its time to get a little more familiar with it starting with the basics, oil change time. Anyone have any tips for a first timer. I have changed the oil in my 65 el camino for over a decade but never had a chance to on my 65 ghia (before I wrecked it). I read the post on oil suggestions and it was kind of all over the place. I have a 1.7 FI that, I do not know mileage ofcourse and its a daily driver (mostly freeway) in super hot southern california . Any info would help thankyou.
YksKrad
Mostly from being a forum troll I've learned that the best is apparently Brad Penn 20w50...

I can't say from experience, since mine has been on stand for 2 years though. I used Mobil1 10w30 before that, since the Haynes Manual I had said 30 weight.
Cap'n Krusty
Actually, we've been using 20w50 since I worked at a dealership in 1973/74. 10w30 is WAAAAAY too thin, especially for San Berdoo. The Cap'n
6freak
QUOTE(Cap'n Krusty @ Jul 17 2008, 02:35 PM) *

Actually, we've been using 20w50 since I worked at a dealership in 1973/74. 10w30 is WAAAAAY too thin, especially for San Berdoo. The Cap'n

Mobile 1 ...you get your money back in the long run
yeahmag
Mobile 1 no longer has the concentrations of ZDDP that our engines need. Brad Penn is the way to go.
TravisNeff
Use Mahle or Mann filters!
yeahmag
That or in my opinion the (rather expensive) K&N.
StratPlayer
Running Brad Penn in mine...
Pat Garvey
Been running Castrol GT 10W30 for years, but it can cold here in the winter - which doesn't matter, since the 914 is smothered in blankets & covers during that time.

I say no to synthetics, because it creates oil leaks. Engine wasn't designed for them either.
Rand
Brad Penn is supposed to be the best for these engines.

I run Castrol 20w50. Easy to find locally and has served my engine well for almost 140,000 miles.
Cap'n Krusty
Let's treat the newbie to a little technique ................

Use ONLY a German filter, Mann, Mahle, Knecht, Hengst. I can't comment on the K&N, as I don't use them. Their air filters are crap, but the oil filters are supposed to be pretty good, and pricey. Make sure the old o-ring comes off with the filter.

Use a good quality oil. Brad Penn oil has the right additives, others seem not to have them. That's up to you. Where you live, 20w50 is a MUST. Takes 4 quarts, more or less.

When you get your filter, get a sump gasket kit. 2 gaskets and one crush washer.

When you remove the screen and cover, clean them well and remove the old crush washer from the nut. You may have to use a knife to pry it off. Clean the area where the gaskets go, as well.

When you install the screen, cover, and gaskets, install the nut and washer with your fingers, rotating the cover to assure the gasket seats properly. The split side of the crush washer goes toward the nut, away from the cover. This is VERY important.

NO GLUE! No sealant, no glop, no RTV. Nothing. Ever.

Once it's seated, the nut gets 11 ft. lbs of torque, No more, no less. If you overtighten it, you run the risk of breaking the center cam journal, thereby ruining your day, week, month, and probably your year.

Have a good time! The Cap'n

BTW, there are good 914 people near you, most of whom will be glad to guide you along ..................................

klikkid3
Wow thank you all, that was an awesome response. The previous owner had a box full of extras that I had to pry from his hands right before I drove off in his little black beauty and those oil filters were in it. I will need that kit you were talking about though, there is a mechanic shop just down the street called the German Auto Haus, any one hear of it, good or bad reviews? But I feel much more comfortable changing the oil now.

THANKYOU ALL,
Phill
swl
Damn Krusty! That has classic thread written all over it. Something so basic with an absolutely complete response. BZ
6freak
QUOTE(6freak @ Jul 17 2008, 02:41 PM) *

QUOTE(Cap'n Krusty @ Jul 17 2008, 02:35 PM) *

Mobile 1 ...you get your money back in the long run

I thought he was talk`n about a fresh rebuild...old motor old car !brad pen i do agree with and the mahle filters....good luck
So.Cal.914
First Oil Change any tips

Put the drain plug back in before adding new oil. sad.gif
jetboy
Good to see another newbie just around the corner from me. i only recently picked up a black '73 1.7l and am still trying to get used to it (i am admittedly NOT a mechanic, heh). Oh, and as your even newer than I, then, I only feel it proper to point out that all newbies are welcome.png but thisthreadisworthlesswithoutpics.gif .
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.