Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: CV tool
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
malaga_red75
Went to Kragen, Ace and Sears, and they didnt have the 8mm 12point tool for removing the cv bolts.

Where can i find one...?

Thanks

-Peter
PeeGreen 914
Pelican sells them. I bought mine from Snap-on to go with the rest of my tools but I believe Automotion, Paragon-Products and Pelican all sell them.
jmill
Got mine at NAPA. Try the local VW shops. There's Donsco, Tassi's and Kohlweis. They're all within 30 minutes of you. At least they were around 5 years ago when I lived in Daly City. Donsco is right off 101 in San Mateo, Tassi's is in Daly City off of Mission St. and Kohlweiss is in your neck of the woods in Redwood City.
Chuck
I picked mine up from a seller of VW tools and parts on ebay. It was like $12 w/shipping.
BMXerror
NAPA
Mark D.
Cevan
I bought mine at AutoZone.
VaccaRabite
QUOTE(Cevan @ Jul 18 2008, 11:12 AM) *

I bought mine at AutoZone.

I have bought two sets at Autozone. Each star point tool will extract 8 bolts before either the tool strips or the bolt head strips. Then you have to weld the tool into the bolt to get out the last one.

It happens every freak'n time.

Then I replaced all the star point bolts with standard hex allen bolts. Who needs that frusteration?

Zach
Cevan
I'll check mine when I get home but I've removed 24 CV bolts and installed 8 with mine and there is no noticable wear on the tool. I think I paid $12 for the set. They don't seem cheap in any way. Are you sure you have the tool fully seated in the CV bolt??
VaccaRabite
I am sure that it is simply that the bolts were over torqued, were impacted with grease and tar and road crap, and probably had semi stripped heads before I bought the car.

But i got tired of dealing with it, and moved over to allen bolts. Not had a problem since.

Zach
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.