Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Bummed out tonight
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
carr914
My house got hit by Lightning Tuesday night and took out my Central A/C. I live in Florida and A/C is something you cannot live without. In fact I'm sweating my arse off writing this.

My choices are to turn in a claim to my insurance company, pay a $2,500 deductable and pay higher premiums forever, or sell one of my Real Six's. I made 1 call about the Six and probably have it sold, but it is a Sad Day that I have to do it.

Maybe if it happens fast enough, I can buy Root Works conversion with left over money.

I don't what to think, I'm just pissed. mad.gif

T.C.
914Sixer
Good ole Mother Nature. What a pisser!!!In 2003 my wife had cancer for the 2nd time and my 6 went down the road to pay the 20% insurance did not cover. I know the feeling all to well.
PeeGreen 914
Sorry to hear that T.C. You'll pull through it though wink.gif Hope you get a ton for the 6 if you really have to sell.
Pat Garvey
QUOTE(carr914 @ Jul 17 2008, 07:48 PM) *

My house got hit by Lightning Tuesday night and took out my Central A/C. I live in Florida and A/C is something you cannot live without. In fact I'm sweating my arse off writing this.

My choices are to turn in a claim to my insurance company, pay a $2,500 deductable and pay higher premiums forever, or sell one of my Real Six's. I made 1 call about the Six and probably have it sold, but it is a Sad Day that I have to do it.

Maybe if it happens fast enough, I can buy Root Works conversion with left over money.

T.C.

Umm, in your misery, tell us more about the six that has to go.
Pat
Wanna9146
QUOTE(carr914 @ Jul 17 2008, 05:48 PM) *

How big of a unit? I've been shopping for 4-ton units and found a guy selling a new Rheem for $1800. I'll install myself and have an AC tech test/pressurize.

Are you sure the whole system is toast? The motor(s) can be replaced without swapping out the entire unit.
carr914
Existing unit is a 1993 unit that came with house. Total Toast. And with the home Freon rules changing in a year & 1/2, I getting something that should last. Getting at cost and labor from a friend.

But my business sucks, I've bought too many cars (the other Six is in a restoration shop) in the last year, a kid in college, Insurance due next month, taxes right after that.

Here's the car that has to go. sad.gif I will put the GT seats in my other Six.

T.C.

Click to view attachment

orange914
don't ya love insurance... they pocket your bloated premiums for years. then in the case your one of the small percentage that has to use it, they jack the rates to be payed back as if it was just a loan.

best luck to you which ever direction you go with the 6

mike
dempwolf@pctribe.com
TC: I know the call you made did not come to me but I wish it had. I've been looking for a nice origianl for 8month now and just love what you've got. If it has not already sold tell me more show me pictures, send me an e-mail or call me at 818-788-0173 or e-mail at dempwolf@pacbell.net Thanks Karl
smg914
T.C.

I'm leaving my house around 8:30am on Friday. I'm driving to Sanford, FL to deliver a 914 driver's door and pick up a sculpture at the American Bronze Foundry. Call me on my cell phone.

Steve
LarryR
QUOTE(carr914 @ Jul 17 2008, 06:48 PM) *

T.C.

My wife did underwriting for 10 years. Your rates wont get jacked from a lightning strike. If anything statistically speaking you are now far less likely to ever get hit again. The Mrs says turn it in and pay the deductable.

Now if your claim is something like a burglary, vandalism etc then yea you can expect to get sheeplove.gif forever but not for something like this just my 2 cents good luck and hope you dont have to sell your car.
LarryR
Oh and A/C should not be to much ... .if it is toast from lightning then I suspect its just the electric motor that turns the compressor. That might be worth paying out of pocket b/c your only looking at about 500 (I replaced that in our old house)

Shoot we had A/C put in our current house that did not have air and with the duct work, complete outside unit everything it was only 5K!

Just saying to have a quote or 2 before making any decisions.
dempwolf@pctribe.com
TC

How much are you asking? Call me 818-788-0173
watsonrx13
TC, that sucks.... sad.gif

-- Rob
blitZ
Bummer, it's a shame to let go of such a nice car. I concur with the above, you're premiums may not go up. I filed a claim for hail damage and had our entire roof replaced for $5k. Our insurance stayed the same.
carr914
The problem with Insurance in Florida is that most companies pulled out of the State after the rash of Hurricanes in 04. My company at the time cancelled me due to the age of my house and I had never filed a claim. I then had to go to the State backed Insurance and only last year was able to get with a regular Ins. Co.

I have a friend that will be doing the A/C work.

T.C.
Cevan
QUOTE(LarryR @ Jul 18 2008, 01:12 AM) *

My wife did underwriting for 10 years. Your rates wont get jacked from a lightning strike. If anything statistically speaking you are now far less likely to ever get hit again. The Mrs says turn it in and pay the deductable.

Ahhh, I gotta call you out here. Just because a house got hit by lightning in the past doesn't make the house any more or less likely to get hit in the future.
Wanna9146
QUOTE(Cevan @ Jul 18 2008, 06:56 AM) *

Ahhh, I gotta call you out here. Just because a house got hit by lightning in the past doesn't make the house any more or less likely to get hit in the future.

Wrong! Lightning never strikes in the same place twice...everyone knows that. biggrin.gif
carr914
Tampa is the Lightning Capital of the Western Hemisphere. I have been personally hit by Lightning, my Honda Civic has been hit in my driveway and now my house-A/C unit.

T.C.
Bartlett 914
Sorry about your loss.

There must be a dozen guys here very interested in the 6.
andys
If you have an AC tech available to do the install, you can buy complete new systems from Budget AC near you in Florida. New Trane system to my specs delivered to my door in SoCal by truck with lift gate was $2900. If your tech has a contractors license, then there's Johnstone Suppy (Nationwide); they are primarily a Goodman dealer.

Andys
carr914
OK, back to the car. My friend passed on the car, so there is an ad in our classifieds. World members get 1st shot, before I go Pelican or eBay route.

It is a 1970, a Real SIX.

T.C.
ArtechnikA
QUOTE(carr914 @ Jul 18 2008, 12:40 PM) *

...there is an ad in our classifieds.

Link? Looked for the ad but couldn't find it. Is it under 'Cars & Rollers' ?
Lavanaut
Sorry you've got to sell the silver car T.C., that sucks. sad.gif
TC 914-8
Hi T.C.

I am in the HVAC biz and happen to be in Fla waiting for a plane to take me back to the cool PNW ( pacific North West).

Before you do anything rash like sell your baby, Check with some local contractors to see if they offer financing. Most HVAC guys are gear heads and would understand your delema. beerchug.gif

If I was staying I would buy the unit and install it ( free labor) and let you pay me back for the unit.

any good 914 brother should do the same.

Tony
carr914
Thanks for the replies, you guys are keeping my spirits up.

I'm comfortable with my HVAC guy, I know him and have raced go-carts against him. I am getting a good deal, but funds are low. I will still have a Real Six when this one is gone. Maybe it was a sign that I shouldn't hoard 914-6s

Reid, wasn't avoiding you. Been busy, had some computer problems, then this. Congrats on your purchase from John.

T.C.

ps the ad in the classifieds in the car & rollers section. I don't know how to do the linky thing. maybe someone can do that for me
ArtechnikA
QUOTE(carr914 @ Jul 18 2008, 01:36 PM) *

ps the ad in the classifieds in the car & rollers section. I don't know how to do the linky thing. maybe someone can do that for me

Found it.

Link To The Ad In Question

Nicer than I can afford just now, good luck with it.
dempwolf@pctribe.com
I'm one of the dozens who is interested in your car. Karl
URY914
T.C.
I got a big fan you can borrow.
Gustl
T.C. - sorry to read about your problems ...

if I would be in the market for a /6 I would be absolutely interested in the silver one driving.gif

all the best,
Gustl

carr914
Well I have Good News and Bad News:

Good News is I have A/C (New Everything except Ducts (they weren't very old)) , and I have 2 Vents going into my Garage (I've got insulating to do).

Bad News is the 914-6 is definately For Sale. Sometimes a Man needs to know His Limitations (or addictions). At least my Limitation (or addiction) has gotten me two nice and significant cars. I don't need 2, No. Do I Want 2, yes obviously, but I don't need 2 especially when so many of my Friends (You Guys) would sacrifice a Left Nut for one.

Anyway, I think I have described the Six Honestly in the classifieds and there are Trusted Fellow Members in my area that attest to me and my cars. They have seen my car and could probably give you a description of my car from memory.

I hope it finds a good home and new owner.

all the best, T.C.

Get Off Your Cheap Ass Chair and Buy this Real Six with 2 Motors Right Now....... Have a Nice Night
Bartlett 914
Lots of luck with your sale. I sure wish the situation for me was different. I would be in the front of the line. I am sure your car will move.
Katmanken
Whadda ya mean ya gotta have AC????? Are you a WUSS?

I lived in Florida for YEARS without AC.

Just open the windows.....

Hell, we didn't install AC until right before we left. When I opened the old AC box, there wasn't anything inside of it except for rust particles, spider webs, bug carcasses, a small chunk of the rotor of the motor (copperwiring) and a bob of rust for the compresser.

Yup. living near the beach in FLA will do that to anything made of corrosionable metal

Ken
carr914
My 914-6 is now on eBay. Item # 120285490998 NO RESERVE

T.C.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.