Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Exhaust Head Studs
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
sgetsiv
This is an awesome forum. Thanks so much to all who contribute.

When I pulled off the 1.7 HE's from the current 2.0 engine, 4 came off nut only, leaving the stud in the head - this I assume is what one would like to have happen, right?

3 of the studs came out without stripping the head. They seem to go back in nice and tight. Is there any sort of thread prep required (grease, loctite, thread sealant) when re-installing the studs? Should the studs that came out be replaced?

Should I attempt to pull out the 4 studs still in the head and replace with new studs?

1 of the studs that came out was actually a bolt with a hex head - pretty sure it is 8mm but I will check carefully. It was stacked with about a 1/2" of washers because it was too long.

Now, I have read most of the posts regarding exhaust head stud issues. But here's a repair technique done by the PO or more likely the previous PO that has not been mentioned (and doubtfully a good idea): the threads must have been stripped in the head and rather than drilling and tapping for 10mm, the hole was filled and a 5mm bolt was used. It was also stacked with washers to get it to the right length.

I am planning to complete the project in about a week, so any guidance would be appreciated. Thanks.

Steve
orange914
QUOTE(sgetsiv @ Jul 18 2008, 08:41 AM) *

This is an awesome forum. Thanks so much to all who contribute.

When I pulled off the 1.7 HE's from the current 2.0 engine, 4 came off nut only, leaving the stud in the head - this I assume is what one would like to have happen, right?

3 of the studs came out without stripping the head. They seem to go back in nice and tight. Is there any sort of thread prep required (grease, loctite, thread sealant) when re-installing the studs? Should the studs that came out be replaced?

Should I attempt to pull out the 4 studs still in the head and replace with new studs?

1 of the studs that came out was actually a bolt with a hex head - pretty sure it is 8mm but I will check carefully. It was stacked with about a 1/2" of washers because it was too long.

Now, I have read most of the posts regarding exhaust head stud issues. But here's a repair technique done by the PO or more likely the previous PO that has not been mentioned (and doubtfully a good idea): the threads must have been stripped in the head and rather than drilling and tapping for 10mm, the hole was filled and a 5mm bolt was used. It was also stacked with washers to get it to the right length.

I am planning to complete the project in about a week, so any guidance would be appreciated. Thanks.

Steve

run dont walk away from that 914... sad.gif but seriously, i hope that is the extent of repairs the p.o. was let do on your 914. barf.gif

you need to drill/tap for oversize stepped ex. studs
r_towle
So, you have a bolt that is the correct thread size, but so long it needed washers? Replace that with the correct stud.

You have another one that is using a much smaller bolt....drill that and tap it for the correct stud... I say that ONLY if the original hole was welded to close it up.
If the original hole was made smaller with anything but welded aluminum...i.e. jb weld, epoxy, some funky helacoil, then you probably want to drill it out for an oversized stepped stud...
these studs have a larger section that goes into the head, but step down to the original size so you can still bolt on the HE's

RIch
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.