Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: This may be a stupid question but here it goes
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Badass43
Hey Guys,

what are the I.D. measurments of stock cylinders?

I am getting ready to rebuild my 2.0 and the cylinders that are on it measure right under 96mm I.D..
Is this stock cylinders?

The pistons in the engine are dished so I'm almost sure they are stock, but there are no markings on top like type 1 pistons.

My thinking is that for 94mm stock pistons the cylinder would be a little larger right?

I want to go to 96mm P/C for addred performance.

What does it cost to have the stock cylinders bored for 96mm pistons? and who does this?

Randy
VaccaRabite
Stock is 94mm on a 2.0.

if you have 96mm cylinders, then you have a 2056.

That said, it is easier to measure the OD of somehting then the ID of something, and with only 2mm of difference, it could well be measuring error (especially if the cylinders are "right under" 96mm). Measure the OD of your pistons.

I am guessing that you are stock.

if you are rebuilding anyhow, moving up to a 2056 is just as easy as rebuilding a stocker.

Zach
SLITS
Stock on a 2.0 is 94mm ... pistons will measure about 93.8 or around there.

If you have 96 mm ID barrels, you already have the "big bore kit. Your piston will measure out in the 95.8-9 range.

Whether they were made a 96mm or they were 94s bored out to 96mm I can't say.

You will find all this information on page 10 of your Haynes Manual. You do have a manual don't you?
Badass43
The guy I bought the engine from did say that the engine was upgraded to 2.? years ago.

I measured the I.D. right at the top of the cylinder.

Did they make dished 96mm pistons?

The reason I am even looking at a rebuild is because when I turn the flywheel by hand I can feel a little play that feels like maybe a rod bearing and the flywheel also travels out some as I turn it so it makes the little bit of play feel worse.

This is not normal is it?

If it is I may just hone the cylinders, replace the rings and throw this thing back together.
VaccaRabite
Sounds like you have a 2056 then. You are ahead of the game. I'd still measure the pistons OD to be sure. Easy with a set of calipers. If you don't have a set, you are going to need them, and they are cheap. The pistons are probably aftermarket.
Todd Enlund
QUOTE(Badass43 @ Jul 18 2008, 09:35 AM) *

I've seen dished 96mm pistons supposedly for bus use.
Badass43
I Have calipers and I pulled the cylinder out far enough to slip my caliper behind the cylinder and measure the piston and sure enough these must be 96mm.

They are dished pistons but don't look like bus pistons with the small deep dish, they look just like the stock 914 2.0 pistons and who ever put these in used the head rings (Gaskets).

Does someone sell like copper head gaskets to use in place of the metal ones. that may help me to make sure I have a good seal on the heads when I reassemble this engine.

I Guess I will reuse the dished pistons being they are 96mm.
Does someone know who I can send the cylinders off to to be cleaned and honed?
Who sells 96mm ring set for an affordable price?
Wonder if I should go total seal.

The seller also told me the engine has an upgraded cam, but I don't know for sure.

I'm still not sure about the play I feel through the flywheel when I turn it by hand and the float back to front.
I hate to have to split this case if I can get away with not doing it.

Randy
orange914
QUOTE(Todd Enlund @ Jul 18 2008, 01:28 PM) *

QUOTE(Badass43 @ Jul 18 2008, 09:35 AM) *

I've seen dished 96mm pistons supposedly for bus use.

yes and there are varied "dish" sizes also. wath the compression closely if your running stock d-jet

mike
VaccaRabite
QUOTE(Badass43 @ Jul 18 2008, 05:37 PM) *

Does someone sell like copper head gaskets to use in place of the metal ones. that may help me to make sure I have a good seal on the heads when I reassemble this engine.

Does someone know who I can send the cylinders off to to be cleaned and honed?
Who sells 96mm ring set for an affordable price?
Wonder if I should go total seal.

Do you mean the spacer rings between the case and the cylinder, or an actual head gasket between the cylinder and the head?

Common theory these days is that you should not run the copper head gaskets. Space the jugs to the head with the base shims.

Rings and shims can be found at the Type4store.com (jakes shop).

If you split the case, you are going to need a seal kit. Probably the only way to figure out what cam you have is to split the case.

Zach
cooltimes
How about posting a photo of the 914. Maybe someone on here will recognize the 914 and know some of the engine and car history.
Sure worth the small time that would take.
Just my $.02914 opinion.

Mike Cooley
Tennessee
Badass43
Well I bought this engine from the classifieds here so a picture of my car won't do any good as it has the stock 1.8 in it and the engine I bought from here is a 2.0 from a 1976.
But heck here is a picture of my car anyway.

Randy
Badass43
Oop, lets try that again.Click to view attachment
Katmanken
Hows about a picture of the pistons.....

That might help us zero in on what piston/cylinder set you have.

Probably not 96mm NPR's... my spare set have flat tops..

Ken
Badass43
I won't be able to get pictures of the pistons until at least Monday evening.

Randy
Badass43
Ok,

Here is a picture of one of the pistons.

Randy
Click to view attachment
Badass43
Who sells a good set of piston rings to fit these 96mm pistons?

If I were to just remove the head gaskets that were on the heads, would that bring the compression up too high? or should I just check what the head gasket thickness is and order cylinder base shims and put the heads back on without the head gaskets?

If I were to want to cc the heads and check the deck, I guess I would have to check the cc of the dish on the pistons and add that to the cc of the heads to calculate the compression properly right?

Randy
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.