Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Need new tires-- Kumhos, Yokos, or what?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
PinetreePorsche
My old Yokohamas are about worn out, and getting hard,too-- ugh; I need a new set of 4. Rims are Fuchs copies, slightly wider; I've been running 205 60 R15 Yokos since getting the car 3 years ago. Car's a '73 2.0- used mostly for street driving, but a little a-x, and I may do a PCA drivers ed in it. I've heard good things about Kumhos. Anyone out there had experience with both--I want to know which sticks better on turns, and which lasts longer. Usually one brand won't win in both categories, but I'd love to hear from someone who's had both on the same car. Or is there another brand I should be checking out, too?
ClayPerrine
Falken Azenis RT615 in 205/50-15. Best tire we ever put on Betty's stock 914. Sticks like it is glued to the road.

Falken Azenis RT615

TheCabinetmaker
I ran Kumho exctas mx in 205/50 for a couple of years. they will cause the speedo to be way off and raise rpms by as much as 600 at 75mph. Lowered my top speed by 15 mph, and cost me 5mpg, but man did they stick.
PeeGreen 914
I run Toyo RA1s and they are great. Very sticky and last well. I have about 3000 miles on mine so far and they still look great. They work well in the rain too as long as it isn't a flash flood.
PinetreePorsche
QUOTE(vsg914 @ Jul 18 2008, 11:01 AM) *

I ran Kumho exctas mx in 205/50 for a couple of years. they will cause the speedo to be way off and raise rpms by as much as 600 at 75mph. Lowered my top speed by 15 mph, and cost me 5mpg, but man did they stick.

My speedo already reads about 10% high, like says 77 when I'm only doing 70. Will the change to the -50 from the -60 I have now make that worse? PUT ANOTHER WAY: is there a 'modern' wide tire for my newer Fuchs-copy rims that will get me back to original tire circumference, to make the speedo read right -- and stick well, have fair life expectancy, and not cost too much? Wow-- what a set of constraints.
PeeGreen 914
Well, yes and no. Really you are either going to have it one way or the other. Better grip and more aggresive or more accurate speedo. The bigger the sidewall the more flex you will have.
rfuerst911sc
How about Fuzion ZR1's? I have a set on my 911 and like them alot. It's a division of Bridgestone.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.