Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Adhesive for front hood seal?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Bartlett 914
I am about to replace my front hood seal. Any recommendations on the correct glue?

Also my targa top seal is broken. I would like to make a temporary repair. Is there a glue that would best repair this. I have a new one but I am waiting to put it in a car I am restoring. This car will get a repaint after the other car is finished. I don't want to put one on only to remove it later.
Rusty
My recommendation on glue: None.

I wouldn't want anything in that channel that could trap water. blink.gif
type47
i seem to remember reading not to use glue/adhesive on the seal because it leads to trapped water and ...... rust.
Wanna9146
I tried it without glue. My seal won't stay in place. It rolls in the corners, etc.
SLITS
For the hood seal ... minimal amount of Weatherstrip Adhesive in the trouble areas only.

For repair of the windshield seal .... wet suit glue
markb
QUOTE(SLITS @ Jul 18 2008, 03:57 PM) *

For the hood seal ... minimal amount of Weatherstrip Adhesive in the trouble areas only.

For repair of the windshield seal .... wet suit glue

agree.gif
jmmotorsports
QUOTE(Bartlett 914 @ Jul 18 2008, 01:51 PM) *

I am about to replace my front hood seal. Any recommendations on the correct glue?

Also my targa top seal is broken. I would like to make a temporary repair. Is there a glue that would best repair this. I have a new one but I am waiting to put it in a car I am restoring. This car will get a repaint after the other car is finished. I don't want to put one on only to remove it later.

If it is an OEM seal you should not need any glue. The aftermarket seals are total junk and will never fit right. I bought one from AA and another from the guy that has them on ebay all the time, both dog shit.

Jerry
Bartlett 914
QUOTE(jmmotorsports @ Jul 18 2008, 06:00 PM) *

QUOTE(Bartlett 914 @ Jul 18 2008, 01:51 PM) *

If it is an OEM seal you should not need any glue. The aftermarket seals are total junk and will never fit right. I bought one from AA and another from the guy that has them on ebay all the time, both dog shit.

Jerry

Thanks for the input guys. Right now the aftermarket junky seal is installed without glue. I am not happy with it. The corners pull away and the hood is very tight to close and open. The seal was rolled up in a box for a year. I am hoping it will relax a bit. I may either glue it or trash it. The channel was really rusted. I cleaned it up and used "Black Chassis Saver" paint. The channel came out nice.
Wanna9146
Where do you find an OEM seal? I'm sure mine is aftermarket and it doesn't fit well...
Bartlett 914
QUOTE(Wanna9146 @ Jul 19 2008, 08:28 PM) *

Where do you find an OEM seal? I'm sure mine is aftermarket and it doesn't fit well...

I think they are still available. I bought my after market seal quite awhile ago and the OEM one was available then. It wasn't all that much more (Had I known...). I would check the usual sources maybe even the dealer.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.