Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: VW Bug guy thinking about a 914 - Should I? Please help!
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
nichelob
Hey Folks,

First off, I apologize if I am posting this in the wrong forum. This is my first post and first time on here.

I have the opportunity to pick up a '74 914 Targa from a friend of mine who just wants to get rid of it.

Thing is - I am a Bug guy and a VW enthusiast and have never owned a Porsche. Now I know that it is a VW engine in it, but are Porsche 914's much more difficult to work on than Bugs? Are they more expensive to have repaired, etc.? I can do the basics on my Bug - adjusting valves, oil change, timing, brakes, etc. Body work and things of that nature are beyond my skill level.

With this particualar 914, the body is in great shape. I think the wiring harness needs to be reworked to get it running. How complicated is that to fix? It has been sitting for about 4 or 5 years in a garage. As far as I know, that's it. I guess what I am asking is can a VW enthusiast handle a 914? Or is it completely different?

Cheers!
beerchug.gif
PeeGreen 914
QUOTE(nichelob @ Jul 18 2008, 02:23 PM) *

Hey Folks,

First off, I apologize if I am posting this in the wrong forum. This is my first post and first time on here.

I have the opportunity to pick up a '74 914 Targa from a friend of mine who just wants to get rid of it.

Thing is - I am a Bug guy and a VW enthusiast and have never owned a Porsche. Now I know that it is a VW engine in it, but are Porsche 914's much more difficult to work on than Bugs? Are they more expensive to have repaired, etc.? I can do the basics on my Bug - adjusting valves, oil change, timing, brakes, etc. Body work and things of that nature are beyond my skill level.

With this particualar 914, the body is in great shape. I think the wiring harness needs to be reworked to get it running. How complicated is that to fix? It has been sitting for about 4 or 5 years in a garage. As far as I know, that's it. I guess what I am asking is can a VW enthusiast handle a 914? Or is it completely different?

Cheers!
beerchug.gif

Shoot... you're already a pro happy11.gif welcome.png

There is a member here that makes wiring harnesses that you can just swap out.
70Sixter
Absence of rust is key. Wrenching is mostly VW in the 4 cylinders. Phoenix is right! Dive in and get that baby on jack stands and start bustin' knuckles.

welcome.png
6freak
QUOTE(Phoenix 914-6GT @ Jul 18 2008, 02:36 PM) *

QUOTE(nichelob @ Jul 18 2008, 02:23 PM) *

Hey Folks,

Cheers!
beerchug.gif

Shoot... you're already a pro happy11.gif welcome.png

There is a member here that makes wiring harnesses that you can just swap out.

YA GET MORE CHICKS WITH A PORSCHE AND THERE FUNNER TO DRIVE ! NEXT ? slap.gif welcome.png
nichelob
HAAHA!!

Thanks all!

Keep em' coming please. I am in the air about it, but it sounds to be easier than I am making it out to be.

Cheers!
TheCabinetmaker
If you can adjust valves on a bug, your already half way there. I'd bet 1/4 of the membership here can't do their own! Seriously, they aren't that much different. I've worked on a couple of bugs and find the 914 easier.

Now, get that 914 and start wrenching and driving. The smile factor of
driving a 914 is 100 times better than you'll experience in a bug!

Find someone local for a test drive or just a ride, and you'll be hooked!
SirAndy
there's a lot of VW guys on here, myself included ...

i had more bugs than i care to remember. rolleyes.gif

if you can do the basics on your bug, you won't have any trouble getting to know your 914 ...
bye1.gif Andy

PS: welcome.png
james2
Body and trim parts are a lot more expensive. sad.gif

I don't think they are harder to work on, but things are a little different. This forum is great for answers.

They are neat little cars I sold my 58 ragtop to get my 914's piratenanner.gif ,

and ya get to tell people ya got a Porsche aktion035.gif

nichelob
Thanks again!

You guy's/gal's are a great help! pray.gif

I am going to go take a look at it on Monday. I know it does not run.

What are some things I need to look for before I make the purchase? I just don't want to go and buy this puppy if she is beyond comprehension.

Obviously VINs and titles are all good.

Cheers!
SirAndy
QUOTE(nichelob @ Jul 18 2008, 02:51 PM) *

What are some things I need to look for before I make the purchase?

there's three things to look out for:

1. rust
2. Rust
3. RUST

biggrin.gif Andy
Eric_Ciampa
And you need to take LOTS of pictures and post them here. biggrin.gif Particularly the engine bay, hell hole (under the battery in bottom right corner of engine bay), the longs, floorpans, etc. That way we can help you know what you are getting into... and by we I mean other people on the board who know more than I do.
davesclassicvws
I bought my first VW beetle in 1977 and have owned more than 20 over the years. Back in the day I had a nice side business buying non running beetles (usually for $50 or less)and getting them running and selling for a nice profit($500 or more). I grew up in Orange County Calif and the VW scene was very strong. My first bug was a slammed 64 in bright California yellow with Chromies and Porsche 356 hubcaps. I thought I was the S**T!!
In 1978 the owner of the company I worked for had a 914. One day after doing him a favor he tossed me the keys and told me to take it to get it washed. He knew I was big into Bugs and said, "check out what a real car is like."
From the moment I started the car I knew I had to have one. This was everything I wanted in my beetle and more. Well life got in the way, getting married, having kids and the like. I purchased my first 914 about 4 years ago.
My advice to you is, if it looks like a solid car, buy it! If you have been around bugs for any length of time you know where all of the weak spots are. Battery trays, heater channels etc.. The 914 is no different. All of the cars imported from Germany of this era are prone to the elements. The places you want to look for rust are really not very different. The battery trays are the primary weak spot. The passenger rocker area is as well. Primarily because a bad tray tends to grow down that side of the car.

Trust me when I say this. Once you have experienced the thrill of the road literally inches below you, you will be hooked. These cars did not have much power from the factory but if you spend any time here you will quickly learn that the 914 motor is very tunable. In fact the type 4 motor has become a very saught after motor in type 1 circles.

What other cars do you know of where you can build a nice high performance original motor or step up to a 6- 911 motor without real major mods or you can go the direction some have chosen and go to a Subaru motor or V8. IMHO the 914 is by far the most flexible prodution car platform every designed.

Go for it and let us know how your experience has changed you!!!
Ian Stott
My first car was a 69 VW Fastback, and my best friend and I had lots of miles in his parents Bug and a their VW stationwagon, he now has a 2005 996 and I have a 73 914. Long story short, in my opinion you will love the 914 if you are a Bug guy, buy one if you have the chance. This club and site is a great place for great advice and info, believe me the members have always been very generous to me.

Ian Stott
Moncton
Canada
EyeTrip
I'm a long time t3 owner as well, I still have my 1st car 65 notch sunroof that I bought in 83. The 914 is a good move for someone that is not afraid of the aircooled.

The way these things are appreciating you can't go wrong unless you go crazy with it.
sww914
A 914-4 is about 50% VW, IMO. The body is similar, the engine is VW, The suspension and brakes are some of one, some of the other and some of it's own. The tranny is all Porsche, and the electrical is VWish enough that if you can get around one you can get around the other. Normal maintenance is no harder than a bug overall, some parts are easier and some are harder.
I've had a bunch of bugs, I turned Porsche because you'll probably never get a bug that feels good going 100 MPH, and the wind and road noise is always terrible.
Welcome to the world!
rebelmdot
http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?sho...mp;hl=checklist

this link is actually to a 914 assessment sheet from this board. You can use it as your guide. There is nothing in this world like a Porsche 914. The difference between a VW and a Porsche 914 is kinda like the difference between eating Pizza, and eating Pizza naked with Jessica Alba.
TheCabinetmaker
If I was naked with Jessica Alba, why in the hell would I be eating pizza?
PeeGreen 914
QUOTE(vsg914 @ Jul 19 2008, 02:01 PM) *

agree.gif confused24.gif
sww914
She probably doesn't eat pizza, too many carbs.
Now if you were eating Jessica Alba, would the pizza need to be naked?
So.Cal.914
QUOTE(Phoenix 914-6GT @ Jul 19 2008, 02:23 PM) *

QUOTE(vsg914 @ Jul 19 2008, 02:01 PM) *

agree.gif confused24.gif

biggrin.gif

I built , what at the time was called calook bugs. This was 1974. I lived close to

GMR (nice canyon rd) so we tried to make our bugs handle as well as possable.

1982 I got my teener. My driving skills had not changed...But my times did. smile.gif

"Use the fourth Luke...Then put it in fifth" smoke.gif

Oh and Welcome to the Jungle... aktion035.gif
So.Cal.914
QUOTE(sww914 @ Jul 19 2008, 02:50 PM) *

She probably doesn't eat pizza, too many carbs.
Now if you were eating Jessica Alba, would the pizza need to be naked?

Of course...How do you do it? huh.gif

av-943.gif
rebelmdot
Gentlemen, you have to make an analogy somehow, so for those of you that were confused by the Pizza, here goes:

Owning a VW is to being naked as to owning a 914 is to being naked with Jessica Alba. Now I hope none of you gained any weight from the carb talk, or got an aneurysm from the metaphor.

Bottom line, buy a 914 or you will miss out on all of this stimulating intellectual banter! piratenanner.gif

nichelob
Hey...what could be better than being naked with Jessica Alba? Being naked with Jessica Alba and eating pizza too I presume!!!

drooley.gif

I am going to take a look at the 914 this week and it has been sitting for about 4 - 5 years.

I'll keep you guys updated. All this passion from you 914'ers is steering me in the buying direction.

piratenanner.gif
helios
I've been a dub guy for 10 years or so, though all watercooled. I purchased an '87 RX-7 Turbo II last year and got it running. It was a fast car, easily faster than any of my past or current dubs. But this spring I started getting the hankering for a classic/vintage/just plain old car. Sold off the RX-7 and started looking for pre 67 bugs and 914s. The day after a big old school vw meet I stumbled across a 914 on Craigslist in Seattle. Drove down there that afternoon (Mother's day) test drove it, and purchased it w/o even having a way to get it back home. Conned a buddy into giving me a ride down to Seattle the next day to pick it up. Haven't regretted it since. It's a lot slower than the RX-7, but in soul....it holds the trump card.

Long story short, if it's not rotted away....do it. Your heart will thank you for it.

welcome.png
Dave_Darling
Remember that the VW engine in our cars is the late Bus engine, which is rather more expensive than the Bug motor. It's not nearly as expensive as the 911 motor, but it's not that cheap.

The 914 is absurdly fun to drive. Absurdly.

--DD
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.