Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: positive is ground?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
scourge
So I just took delivery of a 1974 914 that was converted some time ago to a twin carb set up .The gas tank had been removed and cleaned when i bought the car. Im going thru the car replacing fuel lines changing the oil , filters etc etc in the process of getting it running again .While changing a fuel line I noticed that the red(+) lead is conected to ground (the body) .Is this normal on a 914 ? I thought the black was to ground and the red was the hot lead ?The black lead I noticed does have several red wires attached to it and is inturn connected to the harness .
Should I ignore the colors on the leads and hook the battery negative to ground or what do you think ? Thers no batery in the car so i have no idea how it was set up before .

Thanks for any advice .
Oh BTW this is my first post , my first 914 and my second project car .My first was a 61 international scout .I only mention this because Im going to have a lot of stupid questions for you guys and I wanted warn you in advance .
ejm
QUOTE(scourge @ Jul 18 2008, 08:36 PM) *

Should I ignore the colors on the leads and hook the battery negative to ground

Yes, ignore the colors and hook the battery negitive post to the cable that goes to the body.

welcome.png
Elliot Cannon
agree.gif agree.gif welcome.png welcome.png
scourge
QUOTE(ejm @ Jul 18 2008, 05:41 PM) *

QUOTE(scourge @ Jul 18 2008, 08:36 PM) *

Should I ignore the colors on the leads and hook the battery negative to ground

Yes, ignore the colors and hook the battery negitive post to the cable that goes to the body.

welcome.png

great , thanks for the speedy reply and for the welcome
SirAndy
QUOTE(scourge @ Jul 18 2008, 04:36 PM) *

While changing a fuel line I noticed that the red(+) lead is conected to ground (the body).

where is this wire? got a picture?

brown is the ground wire color of choice.

black can be a hot wire, as can be white. and red is usually hot as well ...
bye1.gif Andy
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.