Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Fun While it Lasted, Teener Sidelined Tonight
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
rebelmdot
Well, after having sat for 6 years in the guys yard that I bought it from, I got Tisch running in 5 days. On her maiden voyage all of the shift bushings that were brittle apparently shattered. No gears at all. So last Saturday I spent 3 hours changing all of them out and adjusting and fine tuning the shift linkage. R-1-2-3-4-5 all worked like a charm. I put 200 miles on her this week, and all of a sudden on the way home from work this evening on the highway NO GEARS. I even tried pulling off of the road, turning the car off and putting the car in gear while off, but when I turned key, car lunged forward and I had clutch pedal to the floor. I do not know at this point if it is the cable or in the clutch itself, I will have to get under tomorrow to see. Those were the best 200 miles I have driven in 10 years!!! Any thoughts on potential areas for troubleshooting let me know. headbang.gif
LowGT
Maybe the clutch tube in the center tunnel let go.
rebelmdot
Thank you. I will check that out.

QUOTE(LowGT @ Jul 18 2008, 11:31 PM) *

JRust
QUOTE(LowGT @ Jul 18 2008, 09:31 PM) *

Ditto! Pretty common. Start at the firewall & see if it broke loose there. More typical for it to break in the middle. About 6" back of the shiter in the center tunnel I think. Been a while since I did mine. You can get at it but be careful welding it back into place. Old plastic fuel lines & Torch= Bad day dry.gif
TheCabinetmaker
If the cable lets go, the pedal falls to the floor. If the pedal has resistance( lifts itself off the floor ), and it lurches forward anyway when you start it in gear, Then it is a problem with the clutch itself. As for the shifting, If you tried to shift it with no clutch, it would most likely grind and make lots of noise. 200 miles after you replaced the bushings? I would also check that the cone screws have not loosened up.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.