Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: HELP! '76 Running too hot
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Rauscher
I have a '76 that is running way too hot - it doesn't hit the red, but very close. Other than a warped case, does anyone have any suggestions?
BMartin914
That is not extremely hot on a stock gauge. About 225'. Not deadly temps, but getting there. An actual degrees fahrenheit reading would be more useful though, to find out how hot the engine is actually running.

In phoenix, in July, I'd expect somewhere near there with a stock cooler. If it is in the red, and not coming down after you ease up on it, then I'd start to look into possible issues/obstructions in the "cooling system."
LvSteveH
The first thing to do is verify that it is indeed running too hot. Ideally you'd like to know your head temps and oil temp.

An IR thermometer on the oil filter should give you an idea of your oil temps. If you are running over 220 then it would be nice to lower them. Don't freak out if it's running 250 or so, the engine won't turn to dust. It's just not good for it and will shorten the engine's life span.

Living in Phoenix adding an oil cooler isn't a bad idea regardless of the oil temps you are experiencing. You can add one in the rear with a fan or you can do a front mounted cooler for more efficiency. The front mount installation is much more invasive and would push the limits of the stock oil pump.

Hope that helps.
type47fan
First of all . . . welcome.png Looks like you've been lurking about for awhile . . . .

Could be many things. Here's a few to consider: improper timing/valve adjustment, lean fuel mixture, bad fuel, blocked or low air flow (rat's nest in oil cooler ducting/running in too high a gear at low ground speeds), stop and go traffic in the desert in July!, worn main bearings, etc.

You definitely want to make sure the engine is tuned properly and verify the oil pressure and oil temperature numbers . . . .

Many more should be chiming in shortly with possible directions for you to consider.

Good luck,
hcdmueller
My 76 2.0 is always that hot on the temp gauge after only 30 minutes or so. I don't live in phoenix either. The stock temp gauge is for oil temp. If you don't have a head temp gauge get one. That will tell you the real engine temp. I feel a lot better after getting one.
TheCabinetmaker
75/76 susposedly run hotter because of the restrictive exhaust. My 75 also ran at the red till I backdated the exhaust. Now it runs never above the p
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.