Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Why the gap?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Wanna9146
For some reason, I have a gap between the rubber bumper & metal washer at the top of my struts. I checked my other 914 and the washers are installed in the other direction (facing down...no gap there). The washers in the below pics were installed this way when I got the car.

Regardless, even if I turn the washers over, the gap will remain...(you can move the rubber bumpers up/down about 1/4").

confused24.gif

IPB Image

IPB Image
sww914
Are those new A/M bushings?
Wanna9146
QUOTE(sww914 @ Jul 19 2008, 10:43 PM) *

Are those new A/M bushings?

No. All stock stuff. I took the struts off, rebuilt, re-installed. I can't remember if the gap was there before I did the rebuild. I was careful re-installing everything as I found it.

Before:

IPB Image

After:

IPB Image
SirAndy
you got the rubber that goes on the other side?

idea.gif Andy
Wanna9146
QUOTE(SirAndy @ Jul 19 2008, 11:50 PM) *

you got the rubber that goes on the other side?

idea.gif Andy

Yeah, there's a rubber cup that sits on top of the strut where it goes up into the body.
stepuptotheMike
Are the bottom side rubber bumpers flipped upside down? The top ones certainly are.

-Mike
Wanna9146
QUOTE(stepuptotheMike @ Jul 20 2008, 08:37 AM) *

Are the bottom side rubber bumpers flipped upside down? The top ones certainly are.

-Mike

Not sure which side is "up". confused24.gif I re-assembled everything how it came apart, so I'm basing my knowledge on the last person who had them apart. I also recall looking at an exploded parts diagram to double-check and everything seemed to match.

I looked at my other 914 and the rubber you see in the pic is in the same position, except the washers are flipped around the other way, in effect "trapping" the rubber against the body mount (and there's no gap...it's a tight fit).
stepuptotheMike
Sorry... I'm an idiot, your upper ring joint appears to be installed the same way mine are (skinny side up).

On my lower ring joint, the top of it fits right into the body opening.

popcorn[1].gif

Wanna9146
QUOTE(stepuptotheMike @ Jul 20 2008, 11:05 AM) *

Sorry... I'm an idiot, your upper ring joint appears to be installed the same way mine are (skinny side up).

On my lower ring joint, the top of it fits right into the body opening.

popcorn[1].gif

Which way is your washer? Cup up or cup down?
stepuptotheMike
Washer is cup up.

-Mike
Wanna9146
Hmm...right back where I started. I thought about throwing a few washers in there, but I hate to do things half-azzed. It bugs me when I can't figure something out...
Jeff Hail
QUOTE(Wanna9146 @ Jul 19 2008, 10:22 PM) *

For some reason, I have a gap between the rubber bumper & metal washer at the top of my struts. I checked my other 914 and the washers are installed in the other direction (facing down...no gap there). The washers in the below pics were installed this way when I got the car.

Regardless, even if I turn the washers over, the gap will remain...(you can move the rubber bumpers up/down about 1/4").

confused24.gif

IPB Image

IPB Image

Are you missing the step washer on the bottom of the stack?

Wanna9146
QUOTE(Jeff Hail @ Jul 20 2008, 11:50 AM) *
Are you missing the step washer on the bottom of the stack?

Umm...dunno. idea.gif It's been a few months since I had this apart. I'll double-check next time I'm at my shop. The bottom cupped washer looks familiar. The one sitting on top of that is an unknown.
Wanna9146
Here's the diagram I used when putting everything back together. This diagram shows 1 washer at the bottom rubber and your pic above shows two washers...still not sure how one washer is going to close a 1/4" gap.

http://autoatlanta.com/model/porsche-914-parts/502-00.htm
Jeff Hail
QUOTE(Wanna9146 @ Jul 20 2008, 01:05 PM) *

Here's the diagram I used when putting everything back together. This diagram shows 1 washer at the bottom rubber and your pic above shows two washers...still not sure how one washer is going to close a 1/4" gap.

http://autoatlanta.com/model/porsche-914-parts/502-00.htm

Should be 2 washers. A big thin one and the step washer which is critical. It is 3/8 thick. The washer has a step that matches the step in the piston rod show in the photo.
Wanna9146
QUOTE(Jeff Hail @ Jul 20 2008, 01:42 PM) *

Should be 2 washers. A big thin one and the step washer which is critical. It is 3/8 thick. The washer has a step that matches the step in the piston rod show in the photo.

I'll have to look. I don't remember the 2nd washer...thank you.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.