Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Wierd Electrical Issues...could use some ideas
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
computers4kids
75 914 V-8 Project

I don't know if these problems existed before I took the car apart to restore. After putting it back together, I am having two electrical problems...maybe related???

Headlight and Headlight Doors are confused
With the ignition switch on, pull the head light switch to the first position and the dash lights come on. Pull it all the way and the headlight doors open all the way up and then automatically close with the head lights on. If you turn the switch off, the headlights turn off and the headlight doors open backup and stop in the fully open position. It's like it's doing the oposite of what it should be doing.??? I've tried replacing the relays both in the the headlight motors and fuse panel. The wiring all looks correct on the motors.

Brake Light Keeps Flashing on Gauge

Brake light stays flashing with ignition on. The switch under the emergency brake seems to be functioning properly. You have to pull the square relay under the fuse panel to get it to stop flashing. I did replace the brakes (not MC) and there is no reset switch on the MC.

Odd wiring by PO
The emergency stop switch looks like a bus not a 914. Pulling the switch you can see the PO cut a light blue wire at the base of the square relay and ran the wire with a diode directly to the emergency stop switch. No clue what the PO tried or did achieve with this hack.

Looking for help and ideas...
904svo
QUOTE(computers4kids @ Jul 19 2008, 09:29 PM) *

75 914 V-8 Project

I don't know if these problems existed before I took the car apart to restore. After putting it back together, I am having two electrical problems...maybe related???

Headlight and Headlight Doors are confused
With the ignition switch on, pull the head light switch to the first position and the dash lights come on. Pull it all the way and the headlight doors open all the way up and then automatically close with the head lights on. If you turn the switch off, the headlights turn off and the headlight doors open backup and stop in the fully open position. It's like it's doing the oposite of what it should be doing.??? I've tried replacing the relays both in the the headlight motors and fuse panel. The wiring all looks correct on the motors.

Check your ground wires (brown wires) that are bolted to the fender wells.

Brake Light Keeps Flashing on Gauge

Brake light stays flashing with ignition on. The switch under the emergency brake seems to be functioning properly. You have to pull the square relay under the fuse panel to get it to stop flashing. I did replace the brakes (not MC) and there is no reset switch on the MC.

Check the brown/white wire going to the EM brake handle.

Odd wiring by PO
The emergency stop switch looks like a bus not a 914. Pulling the switch you can see the PO cut a light blue wire at the base of the square relay and ran the wire with a diode directly to the emergency stop switch. No clue what the PO tried or did achieve with this hack.

Looking for help and ideas...

computers4kids
Well, I figured out the the head light doors/headlights mystery.

All the electrical is working, tailights, signals, front signals, headlights etc, but I still have the flashing brake light. Anyone want to take a guess? If I take out the relay that this light is going to (square one), the signals no longer work. Taking the bulb out probably won't solve anything since the relay will still be tripping on and off.

PS I tried swapping the offensive relay with a known good one...same thing.???

markb
IIRC, the early cars had the E brake light flash when the E brake was on. Um, this is probably way too obvious, but does it blink when the E brake is off? If so, is the brake fluid topped off?
Spoke
When you pull the wire off the MC switch, does the light go out? If either the MC switch or e-brake switch closes, the light will light. How did you check the e-brake switch? Did you try disconnecting the wire from the e-brake switch?
SirAndy
QUOTE(Spoke @ Jul 20 2008, 07:57 PM) *

When you pull the wire off the MC switch, does the light go out? If either the MC switch or e-brake switch closes, the light will light. How did you check the e-brake switch? Did you try disconnecting the wire from the e-brake switch?

agree.gif
computers4kids
Thanks for the ideas...
Yes, the fluid is full and the ebrake does not effect the light, regardless of the hand brakes position.

If you pull the wire to the MC the light still flashes.

If I take my hand and push the handbrake button in and out, light still flashes.

idea.gif So, if either the handbrake switch or MC pressure switch closes the light should flash. Since the light still flashes with the MC switch disconnected, then that must mean the problem is with the handbrake switch?? It must be closing the circuit at all times. The hb switch closes one of the brown ground wires if I remember correctly.

If I take the brown wire off the hb switch the circuit should then for sure be open and the light should stop flashing? If not that circuit is finding ground somehow.
I'll try a couple things today...
SirAndy
QUOTE(computers4kids @ Jul 21 2008, 08:18 AM) *

The hb switch closes one of the brown ground wires if I remember correctly.

brown/white IIRC ...
idea.gif Andy
computers4kids
Thanks all...last electrical issue solved. I had disconnected all the seat belt buzzer crap under the passenger seat and I had left one of the wires connected...enough to set off the light. piratenanner.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.