Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Alternator w/ internal regulator
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
davesprinkle
Is it possible to upgrade the stock 914/4 alternator for a unit with a built-in regulator?
ArtechnikA
QUOTE(davesprinkle @ Jul 20 2008, 05:07 PM) *

Is it possible to upgrade the stock 914/4 alternator for a unit with a built-in regulator?

Anything is possible with enough time, effort and money.

The regulator is not your issue. The issue is there's not much space for anything putting out many more amps. (There are some uprated alternators, but it's not a huge increase, and they still use external regulators.)

Regulators are typically pretty trouble-free, so - what problem are you trying to solve - really ?
ericread
Last summer I finally replaced the internal-VR generator that had been installed by the PO with an original setup (stock generator and external VR). It solved a number of problems I had been having with my voltage/recharging system. The internal device had been causing over-voltage and non-charging problems.

Sure, if you really analyze the electrical system you can probably swap out the stock system with a modern system. It will involve some wiring changes, but why? My 35 year old generator and external VR works for me every day. I use my car as a daily driver and put over 15,000 miles a year on it, and I haven't had an electrical problem since I returned it to the stock system.

Eric Read
McMark
There is a solid state regulator that will attach in the stock location and hook directly to the relay board without mods, out of the box. Alternator technology has not changed AFAIK, only the regulator technology. This solid state unit will bring you up to date.
914Sixer
The NEW Bosch ones are solid state and has new suspressors in them the old ones do not. They are about 1" shorter. About $45 depending on where you get it.
hcdmueller
I have been trying to find a bosch alternator from another vehicle with a higher output to fit in the stock location. The problem is the physical dimensions of the alternator itself. The stock alternator does not sit as deep as newer bosch alternators from other vehicles.

The wiring for an internally regulated alternator is supposed to be easy. I have been told from another board member that the reference wire from the alternator plugs into the D+ on the relay board and just remove the external regulator.
ArtechnikA
QUOTE(hcdmueller @ Jul 20 2008, 07:59 PM) *

I have been trying to find a bosch alternator from another vehicle with a higher output to fit in the stock location. The problem is the physical dimensions of the alternator itself. The stock alternator does not sit as deep as newer bosch alternators from other vehicles.

And you hope to make more room in the alternator mounting location by putting -more- parts in there ? not gonna happen...
davesprinkle
QUOTE(ArtechnikA @ Jul 20 2008, 02:45 PM) *

QUOTE(davesprinkle @ Jul 20 2008, 05:07 PM) *

Anything is possible with enough time, effort and money.

The regulator is not your issue. The issue is there's not much space for anything putting out many more amps. (There are some uprated alternators, but it's not a huge increase, and they still use external regulators.)

Regulators are typically pretty trouble-free, so - what problem are you trying to solve - really ?

I'm not attempting to solve a problem; I'm just curious.

The only issue I've got with the stock charging system is that the charging voltage drops from ~14V to ~12.5V as engine bay temps climb. (The battery has never gone flat, but 12.5V is marginal.) I suspect that a new reg would fix the problem. Hence my inquiry.

I'll get a new reg.
SirAndy
QUOTE(davesprinkle @ Jul 20 2008, 01:07 PM) *

just get a 3.6L /6 engine ...
rolleyes.gif Andy
markb
I have a local guy who rebuilds alts working on an 85 - 95 amp alt for me. Once it's in the car, I'll see how it does, & see if more can be made & how much $$.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.