Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Valve Adjuster Screws
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
kconway
I recently had my heads worked and valves replaced because of damaged valve stems-
Click to view attachment

Question is, is it customary to replace the adjusters also?
Kev
roadster fan
I am sure one of the experts will chime in, but I would. Make sure you use reputable manufacture or supplier as if the adjuster screws are too hard they will damage the valve stem again.

IMHO cheap insurance.

Jim
914Sixer
Yes, replace them

OT - but related to this subject. I bought a set of 911 adjusters and a set of 1.7 'arm'a and related parts.. I was also advised this weekend that in order to amke that combo work. I would need to cut /remove 60 thou off the bottom of the arm to make these work- is this true?

Thanks for the education on the type 4's
VaccaRabite
QUOTE(396 @ Jul 21 2008, 10:30 AM) *

OT - but related to this subject. I bought a set of 911 adjusters and a set of 1.7 'arm'a and related parts.. I was also advised this weekend that in order to amke that combo work. I would need to cut /remove 60 thou off the bottom of the arm to make these work- is this true?

Thanks for the education on the type 4's

Yes. The swivel heads need more room. Its not a big deal.

Zach
r_towle
QUOTE(kconway @ Jul 21 2008, 01:03 AM) *

I recently had my heads worked and valves replaced because of damaged valve stems-
Click to view attachment

Kev

Yes, buy a set of 911 adjusters if you can..they are alot nicer to the valve stems.

The old set you have appears to have some hardness issues that may have resulted in the damage to the valve stem...
It could also have been the valve itself that was manufactured poorly.
If you are stuck, show a picture of all of your adjusters with clear focus on the underside that hits the valve stem so we can see if they are the issue.

On the 911 adjusters you need to take a grinder, file, or belt sander and remove about 60 thousanths from the inderside so the adjuster itself can screw up into the rocker arm that 60 thousanths more.
This only pertains to using the 911 swivel foot adjusters and is a simple DIY project.
The need for the clearancing is so that you have enough room to set the rockers correctly.

RIch
Cap'n Krusty
Loose valve adjustments and infrequent oil changes contribute to that kind of stem wear. Old adjusters on new valves, much like old lifters and new cams, can eat up the replacement parts. The Cap'n
kconway
QUOTE(r_towle @ Jul 21 2008, 07:31 AM) *

QUOTE(kconway @ Jul 21 2008, 01:03 AM) *

Kev

Yes, buy a set of 911 adjusters if you can..they are alot nicer to the valve stems.

On the 911 adjusters you need to take a grinder, file, or belt sander and remove about 60 thousanths from the inderside so the adjuster itself can screw up into the rocker arm that 60 thousanths more.
This only pertains to using the 911 swivel foot adjusters and is a simple DIY project.
The need for the clearancing is so that you have enough room to set the rockers correctly.

RIch

Do you have to cut down your pushrods or "change the geometry" for the 911 upgrade? Is this just clearance 1.7 liter arms by .060, reinstall and go or is there more to it?

Here are the two offending adjusters that I believe damaged the stems. I guess its a no brainer on the replacement of these two, but I wonder about the others? I guess I'll just change them all out. Wouldn't mind going with 911 type but don't want to mess with reseting the valvetrain geometry if required.
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment

jk76.914
Let us know where you find good ones. I replaced mine with new ones from VW, but they cost $12 each a little over a year ago. Not far from the 911 adjusters, albeit you don't have to come up with the 1.7 rocker sets too.

Jim
roadster fan
QUOTE(jk76.914 @ Jul 21 2008, 05:57 PM) *

Let us know where you find good ones. I replaced mine with new ones from VW, but they cost $12 each a little over a year ago. Not far from the 911 adjusters, albeit you don't have to come up with the 1.7 rocker sets too.

Jim

Raby Aircooled Technology

Jim
kconway
QUOTE(roadster fan @ Jul 22 2008, 02:14 AM) *

QUOTE(jk76.914 @ Jul 21 2008, 05:57 PM) *

Jim

Raby Aircooled Technology

Jim

Yup, got an order placed for the used OEM 10mm screws, gud price.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.