Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: 250# rear springs
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
914helo
I am coming close to finishing my Subaru SVX 3.3L engine swap into my '73. The 3.3L is heavier than the other Suby motors. I currently have front and rear sway bars and stock torsion bars (am looking into different front 911 suspensions). This car is for fun weekend trips through the mountains where I live. I would rather have the better handling over the comfy ride. I saw Pelican had 180# rear springs and renegade is selling 200#. Where are people buying 250# springs? Is this going to be overkill for my car? Thanks
smontanaro
250lb springs? Why not just weld up the rear suspension into a "hard tail"? smile.gif

Skip
r_towle
look at Coleman Racing for adjustable spring perches for the rear.
This brings you down to the smaller diameter coil springs.
Once you are setup for the smaller diameter springs, you can get any rate you want.
The smaller diameter springs are the same thing used in nascar, dirt track etc...so there is a huge aftermarket for them.

The adjustable perches will fit on koni or bilstein shocks in the rear.
Its a threaded collar with a different retainer for the smaller springs.
Look at any 914/911 race car and you will see this setup.
Its not custom.

Rich
ArtechnikA
Many places from which to choose:

Google Search for spring makers

You will need to know a few basic parameters in addition to your desired rate:
coil OD and free height among them, as well as total suspension travel (because high rates typically require big wire and coil bind is bad...).

You will definitely want them normalised and shot-peened. If you use anything like the stock spring supports (although I wouldn't think so...) you will not need them closed-wound and ground flat, but those are things to consider.

You start heading outside the 'normal' envelope and you're in CustomLand pretty quickly.

With that much spring you're going to need "above average" damping too. Bilstein Rallye valving is probably close.
SirAndy
i bought mine from Rich Bontempi at Highperformance House.

They're Eibach's, so you should be able to buy them at all the usual race outlets ...
bye1.gif Andy

PS: 250lbs springs and roller bearings are a great combination!
Elliot Cannon
250 lb. springs. Ask Andys girlfriend what she thinks of them. laugh.gif
6freak
QUOTE(Elliot Cannon @ Jul 21 2008, 08:08 PM) *

And you can buy kidney belts at the local Moto`x shop ..you will be piss`n blood after 50 miles laugh.gif
ArtechnikA
QUOTE(6freak @ Jul 22 2008, 10:27 AM) *

And you can buy kidney belts at the local Moto`x shop ..you will be piss`n blood after 50 miles laugh.gif

If the vehicle weight goes up but the available suspension travel doesn't, a wheel rate increase is going to be needed to keep things from bottoming, at which point the rate goes infinite, which is bad (like coil bind).

250 lbs/in is jarring on a light car but it's not on a heavy car. I don't know that a 3,3 Subie is 400 lbs heavier than a 2,0 T-IV but I have a 3,0 Subie engine (still happily in service in the Ourback, thank you...) and I can see it being a bunch heavier.
r_towle
What does an aircooled 3.6 weigh in at? SirAndy is a good example once you figure out the weight of his motor.

Also, the V8 guys all run heavier springs.

Rich
SirAndy
QUOTE(6freak @ Jul 22 2008, 06:27 AM) *

QUOTE(Elliot Cannon @ Jul 21 2008, 08:08 PM) *

you guys seem to know my car a lot better than i do ...

rolleyes.gif Andy (who doesn't piss blood and still has the same happy GF)
914helo
IIRC my 3.3L Suby weighed in around 400#.
r_towle
QUOTE(SirAndy @ Jul 22 2008, 02:10 PM) *

rolleyes.gif Andy (who doesn't piss blood and still has the same happy GF)

Based upon your "romantic getaway video" I would argue that you need to work a bit harder to keep her happy and STEP AWAY FROM THE KEYBOARD.....lol

I think her comment was priceless..."here is Andy on a romantic getaway with the 914World..." (something like that....she did not seem amused)
Rich
SirAndy
QUOTE(r_towle @ Jul 22 2008, 02:56 PM) *

did not seem amused

that was over a week ago ... rolleyes.gif

thank god for short-term-memory!
cheer.gif Andy
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.