Full Version: It's Baaaaaaack ... again
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
SLITS
It's real, it hasn't gone away ......

Linky Poo (and it is Poo)
dr914@autoatlanta.com
But much better than: http://autoatlanta.com/carsales/914/proj/index.php
QUOTE(SLITS @ Jul 21 2008, 04:49 PM) *

With the two of them we can have a whole pile of it! let's not beat a dead horse (so to speak) Or maybe we are beating the Poo out of it with these two beauties!

SLITS
No problem Jorge .... keep running it, you'll hook someone sooner or later.
PeeGreen 914
So it has a VIN listed. Does that mean it comes with a VIN or or not? ANd if not does that mean it really shouldn't have a VIN? I'm confussed.
SirAndy
QUOTE(Phoenix 914-6GT @ Jul 21 2008, 04:04 PM) *

So it has a VIN listed. Does that mean it comes with a VIN or or not? ANd if not does that mean it really shouldn't have a VIN? I'm confussed.

it doesn't have a VIN listed. the ad says 9140430000, which is not a valid 914-6 VIN ...
shades.gif Andy
PeeGreen 914
Oh.... I don't get it. So how does one make this a six then?
Mike D.
QUOTE(Phoenix 914-6GT @ Jul 21 2008, 05:30 PM) *

Oh.... I don't get it. So how does one make this a six then?

with about $40,000. - happy11.gif
PeeGreen 914
Well you could do a resto on the car but it will never be an original six. It needs the VIN and that is gone.
championgt1
To vin or not to vin?

popcorn[1].gif
ericread
You all have to admit, it provides a perfect example of a problematic "Hell Hole". Next time someone asks what the Hell Hole is, just give them this picture.

Click to view attachment

Thanks!

Eric Read

PeeGreen 914
What hole biggrin.gif
dr914@autoatlanta.com
QUOTE(SirAndy @ Jul 21 2008, 05:21 PM) *

QUOTE(Phoenix 914-6GT @ Jul 21 2008, 04:04 PM) *

it doesn't have a VIN listed. the ad says 9140430000, which is not a valid 914-6 VIN ...
shades.gif Andy

I had to put some kind of vin number in the category to list the body shell. It is a genuine six just one used for parts long ago but now not that bad if someone has a worse one (like the one on our website!!!!!!) These days the worst sixes are being restored just like old 356 models. Cars we would not have ever thought of fixing are being repaired. More power to the strength of the 914!!!!!!!!!!!!
roadster fan
QUOTE(dr914@autoatlanta.com @ Jul 21 2008, 07:26 PM) *

These days the worst sixes are being restored just like old 356 models.

Even the one's where the VIN was removed for another restoration? Better to buy the best 914/4 you can find and buy the VIN from another hulk like this one shades.gif

Add a few of the proper bits and sell to some sucker for $$$$$$$$$. Or maybe the right sucker will come along and buy this shell. sheeplove.gif

Jim bye1.gif
Eric_Shea
headbang.gif He can't help himself. Some things will never change. headbang.gif
rhodyguy
gotta ask...how is "George Hussey Automobile Atlanta." a sentence? wtf does that mean? "Stripped of the goodness". ouch.
So.Cal.914

Features

Body type: Convertible

Engine: 6 Cylinder

Exterior color: Orange

Transmission: Manual

Fuel type: Gasoline Interior color: --

Aaaah...George? sad.gif
ruddyboys
Fuel Type: Gasoline, theres no motor or gas tank
Rand
It is a genuine six just one used for parts long ago but now not that bad if someone has a worse one (like the one on our website!!!!!!) These days the worst sixes are being restored just like old 356 models. Cars we would not have ever thought of fixing are being repaired. More power to the strength of the 914!!!!!!!!!!!!

Whether someone would want to restore this heap or not isn't the real issue. That part is just funny. The part that isn't funny is it doesn't have the VIN number it shipped with, and some other car out there has it's VIN number on it.
stromberg.gif
736conver
This car could easily be a four cyl. as far as anyone knows. Slap a six sub dash in it add some decals under the lid .........etc etc.

Without the vin numbers this car is nothing but early 914 4 cyl.
KELTY360
Wow! Are those original -6 jack stands? Wonder if they come with the car.....or is that extra? stirthepot.gif
PeeGreen 914
QUOTE(Rand @ Jul 22 2008, 03:22 PM) *

It is a genuine six just one used for parts long ago but now not that bad if someone has a worse one (like the one on our website!!!!!!) These days the worst sixes are being restored just like old 356 models. Cars we would not have ever thought of fixing are being repaired. More power to the strength of the 914!!!!!!!!!!!!

Whether someone would want to restore this heap or not isn't the real issue. That part is just funny. The part that isn't funny is it doesn't have the VIN number it shipped with, and some other car out there has it's VIN number on it.
stromberg.gif

agree.gif confused24.gif chair.gif
TROJANMAN
Apparently Mr. and Mrs. Sucker were not having sex the last time this was listed, because a new sucker hasn't been born yet. Either that, or Mr. Sucker is sterile.
McMark
This car could easily be a four cyl. as far as anyone knows. Slap a six sub dash in it add some decals under the lid .........etc etc.

Without the vin numbers this car is nothing but early 914 4 cyl.

To a trained eye there are definite tell-tale signs. I can see two and with another picture request, three things that are 914-6 only. Yes, all things can be duplicated, but it would take a very experienced person to fake one completely accurately.
Eric_Shea
Why were the VIN numbers cut from this car and where did they go?
PeeGreen 914
I think the point of it though is that there is no VIN. The value in is the VIN not the body.
736conver
To a trained eye there are definite tell-tale signs. I can see two and with another picture request, three things that are 914-6 only. Yes, all things can be duplicated, but it would take a very experienced person to fake one completely accurately.

You missed my point.

QUOTE(Phoenix 914-6GT @ Jul 23 2008, 12:10 AM) *

I think the point of it though is that there is no VIN. The value in is the VIN not the body.

Precisely

So.Cal.914
IMHO it is worth less then a 914-4 with a VIN.

At least I can build a running and registerable car out of the -4.

Gaads this is a moral Q. Well that disqualifies me. happy11.gif
roadster fan
QUOTE(TROJANMAN @ Jul 22 2008, 08:50 PM) *

Apparently Mr. and Mrs. Sucker were not having sex the last time this was listed, because a new sucker hasn't been born yet. Either that, or Mr. Sucker is sterile.

Now that is funny! laugh.gif
Lavanaut
QUOTE(McMark @ Jul 22 2008, 09:59 PM) *

To a trained eye there are definite tell-tale signs. I can see two and with another picture request, three things that are 914-6 only.

popcorn[1].gif
Slider
Man im experiencing DejaVu.. didnt we have this same discussion couple months ago with George selling that hulk of metal ?

or was that hulk of metal in my nightmare.. ?!?

mine isnt a six..but i will stick with it..thanks..

championgt1
QUOTE(Eric_Shea @ Jul 22 2008, 11:10 PM) *

agree.gif Question of the day. So somewhere out there lives a six that may not be a real six?? headbang.gif
Joe Bob
IPB Image

There will be a stamping on the floor of the trunk in front of the lock....

I don't see a pic of the engine nose mount....
horizontally-opposed
QUOTE(championgt1 @ Jul 23 2008, 05:17 PM) *

QUOTE(Eric_Shea @ Jul 22 2008, 11:10 PM) *

agree.gif Question of the day. So somewhere out there lives a six that may not be a real six?? headbang.gif

My guess is that, somewhere, out there, live several sixes that aren't real sixes anymore -- cut up and transferred into four shells when the $$ didn't justify the restorations it *almost* does now. Kinda reminds me of people who made money cutting cars in half and making one good one out of two bad ones and then selling them as normal cars. idea.gif

There's at least one real six in the Bay Area with the back end of a four grafted in...idiots even left the engine mounts in place. slap.gif

I would say this car should be crushed, but I actually think the car that got its parts should be. But then, that's just my view. And the FBI's...

pete
stepuptotheMike
dead horse.gif
carr914
QUOTE(mikez @ Jul 23 2008, 08:30 PM) *

IPB Image

The stamping is NOT always in the center in front of the lock. It is sometimes on the passenger side of the trunk floor. I know of at least 3 examples.

T.C.
carr914
QUOTE(dr914@autoatlanta.com @ Jul 21 2008, 07:59 PM) *

But much better than: http://autoatlanta.com/carsales/914/proj/index.php
QUOTE(SLITS @ Jul 21 2008, 04:49 PM) *

With the two of them we can have a whole pile of it! let's not beat a dead horse (so to speak) Or maybe we are beating the Poo out of it with these two beauties!

And how can this rusted out POS be better than the other rusted out POS. The 2nd one has a VIN#, matching #s engine and spare pieces and a price of $8,500 screwy.gif

If you sent the first car out for Media-Blasting there would not be much left.

T.C.
Project 6
QUOTE(carr914 @ Jul 23 2008, 06:26 PM) *

IPB Image

The stamping is NOT always in the center in front of the lock. It is sometimes on the passenger side of the trunk floor. I know of at least 3 examples.

T.C.

Probably, but I don't see where the post says it's in the center?

Hand stamping by definition can be arbritrary and is up to the stamping person. One would assume that the same person did most if not all the stamps for the company unless he/she was out sick.

The pictures do not show gaping holes or grind marks where stamps would normally be found. The trunk and the passenger side fender are two examples. One would assume that those areas are avoided on purpose.
SirAndy
QUOTE(horizontally-opposed @ Jul 23 2008, 04:35 PM) *

There's at least one real six in the Bay Area with the back end of a four grafted in...idiots even left the engine mounts in place. slap.gif

make that two ... huh.gif

there's another one with an early /4 front end, the rear is still original /6 ...
cut right before the rear firewall.

barf.gif Andy
PeeGreen 914
QUOTE(Project 6 @ Jul 23 2008, 07:04 PM) *

QUOTE(carr914 @ Jul 23 2008, 06:26 PM) *

IPB Image

T.C.

Probably, but I don't see where the post says it's in the center?

Hand stamping by definition can be arbritrary and is up to the stamping person. One would assume that the same person did most if not all the stamps for the company unless he/she was out sick.

The pictures do not show gaping holes or grind marks where stamps would normally be found. The trunk and the passenger side fender are two examples. One would assume that those areas are avoided on purpose.

Technically if you are rebodying a car you can find the metal stamps and restamp the car to match the one you are replacing. However, these cars are NOT the original to the VIN and should be crushed. This is a load of BS. People who retag cars should all die and go to someplace bad chair.gif There is no excuse for this.
Joe Bob
AFIK, the stamping in the rear trunk is not the same as the VIN...at least not on the one that's in my shop right now.

The 356 and the 912s pretty much were consistent with using the last 3-4 numbers of the VIN on a lot of body parts. They also date stamped damn near everything.

Why they changed on the 914 I can only guess...probably due to the lack of control due to the bodies being made at Karmann.
So.Cal.914
QUOTE(mikez @ Jul 23 2008, 08:14 PM) *

AFIK, the stamping in the rear trunk is not the same as the VIN...at least not on the one that's in my shop right now.

The 356 and the 912s pretty much were consistent with using the last 3-4 numbers of the VIN on a lot of body parts. They also date stamped damn near everything.

Why they changed on the 914 I can only guess...probably due to the lack of control due to the bodies being made at Karmann.

I think I heard that it was a build number. (?)
1970 Neun vierzehn
QUOTE(So.Cal.914 @ Jul 23 2008, 07:17 PM) *

I think I heard that it was a build number. (?)

The number stamped in the trunk is the chassis #. It should match the chassis # on the Karmann plate on the drivers' side.

Paul
seanery
maybe because 356s were made at so many factories it was more important to keep the like manufacturers pieces together confused24.gif

I miss my 356 sad.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.