Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Manifold Pressure Sensor - no vacuum
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Cevan
I decided to test the MPS on the '74 2.0 I picked up the car a couple of months ago. I got it to run pretty good and have driven it around my compound in 1st and 2nd gear. My plan is to transplant the motor into my DD that has the stock 1.8L.

Well, my MPS didn't hold a vacuum at all. What should I do? Look for a used MPS or look for carbs? The reason I'd look for Webers is at some point I want to build a 2056 and would use the carbs. So I may only drive the 2.0 in stock form for a year or two. I would also imagine that if I bought a used MPS that it could fail at anytime, given that it would be 34-35 years old. What is the going rate for a properly functioning MPS?

BTW, I don't want to debate the merits of stock FI vs. carbs.

JC 914
Parts Heaven in Hayworth,CA. Rebuilt MPS for $175 + core charge.
roadster fan
I think he meant Hayward, CA. You can find used ones in the $50 to $150 range that hold vacuum if you are not in a hurry.

Check with Bleyseng on this board I think he recalibrates them and may have a source.

Jim
Cevan
I'd need it by April so I'm not in a rush. Given that the car runs as I described above, I was surprised that the MPS held no vacuum at all. Is this right? The car seemed to accelerate in 1st and 2nd gear, but I was on grass and dirt roads, not the street. I would assume the car would run lean in this state?
r_towle
If its not holding a vacuum when you hit WOT or higher RPMs...a large black cloud will follow you around and it will buck and skip alot.

It can be driven...its just gonna run super rich..
Mine died on a trip...drove it home...its just a super rich condition.

MPS's are out there, look around, call the local P-car shops...they all have a stash.

BTW, I just dont trust using a mitivac or hand held pump to verify these.
The hoses have a leak so when you place it on the MPS it does leak out...
Use your tongue just suck a little bit and see if you can hold your tongue on it...just clean it first...its not fuel...its just dirty.

Rich
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.