Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Where to buy 8x9 step studs
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
rjames
Anyone know a good source for a correctly cut 8x9 exhaust step stud? My local VW shop doesn't have them, the local type IV rebuilder that I tried to buy one from last year sold me one, but it wasn't cut correctly to spec and didn't fit.
Jake's shop was the only place I could find a correctly machined step stud (and even they got a bad batch the first time around) but he no longer carries them, which seems a little odd to me, but what do I know.
VaccaRabite
www.mcmaster.com?

McMaster Carr has everything ever devised by man.

Zach
Jake Raby
Mcmaster won't have these... They are a special stud that is VERY difficult to find.

I had 1,000 of them made up long ago and when they were gone the price to replenish stock was going to be 12 bucks each!!! Thats why we no longer carry them.
orange914
QUOTE(rjames @ Jul 22 2008, 10:11 AM) *

Anyone know a good source for a correctly cut 8x9 exhaust step stud? My local VW shop doesn't have them, the local type IV rebuilder that I tried to buy one from last year sold me one, but it wasn't cut correctly to spec and didn't fit.
Jake's shop was the only place I could find a correctly machined step stud (and even they got a bad batch the first time around) but he no longer carries them, which seems a little odd to me, but what do I know.

i looked EVERYWHERE locally for my 10x8mm studs with no luck. i ordered them from jake. the 9x8 is probably harder to find, i hate to be johnny downner but you may have to tap it to 10mm which may be more common. i didnt heli coil because it seems to be general thought here that it is a bad idea to do. confused24.gif . i guess because of the heat. confused24.gif
r_towle
Its one MM.
Couldnt you just get 9mm studs and ream out the exhaust flange by one MM to compensate???

Rich
Rand
Buttera Motors had 8x10s locally. They are a little shorter than I like, but I searched the universe for longer ones and came up dry. I went ahead and used them and it turned out ok... Just long enough to get all the threads fully engaged and it's a solid repair.
driving.gif
orange914
QUOTE(r_towle @ Jul 22 2008, 10:44 AM) *

Its one MM.
Couldnt you just get 9mm studs and ream out the exhaust flange by one MM to compensate???

Rich

on my 10x8mm i tried 10mm studs but that size w/ nuts were way to big for the (s/s h.e.). maybe the 9mm is a different fit...

mike
dr914@autoatlanta.com
we have at least 100 8/9 on the shelf at least 75 8/10 on the shelf and 250 plus 8/8 on the shelf. All are 56 in length
orange914
QUOTE(Rand @ Jul 22 2008, 10:48 AM) *

Buttera Motors had 8x10s locally. They are a little shorter than I like, but I searched the universe for longer ones and came up dry. I went ahead and used them and it turned out ok... Just long enough to get all the threads fully engaged and it's a solid repair.
driving.gif

if they aren't stainless make sure you anti-seize them

mike
r_towle
QUOTE(orange914 @ Jul 22 2008, 01:54 PM) *

QUOTE(Rand @ Jul 22 2008, 10:48 AM) *

driving.gif

if they aren't stainless make sure you anti-seize them

mike

Exhaust studs should never be stainless.
Any bolt that is screwed into cast aluminum should never be stainless.
Stainless and aluminum dont do well together and if you add in any salt (ocean air, or road salt) the metal reaction between the two can be stronger than welding...

Stainless and aluminum dont mix.

sounds Like AA has what you need.

RIch
rjames
Wow, I didn't realize that this would be that tough. huh.gif sad.gif

Jake, at 12 bucks a piece I still would have bought a couple of them from you, and I bet others would as well- there seems to be no shortage of folks who are willing to throw money away on these cars, myself included.

we have at least 100 9/9 on the shelf at least 75 8/10 on the shelf and 250 plus 8/8 on the shelf. All are 56 in length

sounds Like AA has what you need.

I didn't see 8x9 listed there... I wanted to use a TimeSert that would allow me to use a 9 mm step stud- same way I repaired the last stud that stripped out on me. I see AA has a 9x9, but are there ovalized nuts to fit 9mm for this application? Additionaly, I do not want to bore out my SS exchangers- are the 9x9 studs to large to fit through the SS flanges?
andys
From my two-stroke racing days, there were plenty of 8x10 studs used on various cylinder head applications. I used to use one from a Suzuki dirt bike of some kind (sorry, I just don't recall) for repairs to cylinder barrels. Go to your local dirt bike shop with a friendly parts guy and you should be able to find something that works for cheap.

Andys
rjames
Ok, I think I was slightly confused. I realized that the reason I used a timesert and an 8x9 step stud the last time this happened is because there was a helicoil that failed, and I wanted to be sure that the whatever I did to repair it would have enough bite to hold well. The 9mm timesert kit actually taps the threads to just slightly larger than 10mm, which I figured would ensure a good strong repair.

THIS time I only stripped existing 8mm threads and therefore there probably isn't any reason to use a timsert this time. Although I did find a place in Canada that has some NOS 8x9 step studs. I ordered a couple of them just in case I ever have to replace the one I have installed. They were fairly cheap, but the shipping was brutal.
Jake Raby
Jake, at 12 bucks a piece I still would have bought a couple of them from you, and I bet others would as well- there seems to be no shortage of folks who are willing to throw money away on these cars, myself included.

Yeah, bt spending 12K in capital for a such a slow moving part isn't very wise... That 12 bucks a piece was MY cost!

George,
I'll buy some of these from you for my store, email me with details...
rjames
QUOTE(Jake Raby @ Jul 22 2008, 01:36 PM) *

Yeah, bt spending 12K in capital for a such a slow moving part isn't very wise... That 12 bucks a piece was MY cost!

George,
I'll buy some of these from you for my store, email me with details...

Don't buy all of George's stash, save a couple of the 8x10 for me biggrin.gif
bondo
Last time I had to do this I cut down an 8x10 wasserboxer rocker stud. I think it was from a 2.1. Easy fix if you have access to any old wasserboxer heads.
rhodyguy
buy 8 of them from AA. they'll keep just fine on the shelve. shipping will prob be the same for 1 or 8. you can always sell them for $11 each. wink.gif have you called to see if john walker has any laying around?

k
rjames
QUOTE(rhodyguy @ Jul 23 2008, 07:37 AM) *

buy 8 of them from AA. they'll keep just fine on the shelve. shipping will prob be the same for 1 or 8. you can always sell them for $11 each. wink.gif have you called to see if john walker has any laying around?

k

Unless George's mistyped his post, he doesn't have any 8x9 studs:
we have at least 100 9/9 on the shelf at least 75 8/10 on the shelf and 250 plus 8/8 on the shelf. All are 56 in length

Maybe his post was supposed to read that he had 100 8/9 instead of 9/9? confused24.gif If so, I just spent too much to have a couple shipped from Canada. dry.gif

I didn't call up Walker's shop because the last time I talked to him he said he quit working on 914s a while ago. Plus the last time I tried to find a 8x9 step stud locally, the only one could find was at NW Connecting Rod, and it was way out of spec. Supposedly the ones I ordered are NOS, we'll see.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.