Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Can This Teen be Saved?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Volksvolgen
Pictures of my 914 are at:
http://picasaweb.google.com/Volksvolgen/Porsche914BasketCase

I would like to ask the experts in this forum if this car can be restored, or is it just a parts donor.

The car has obvious rust damage, but is 100% complete and unmodified.

Thanks for looking.
ericread
Wow, the rust on the longs seems pretty significant. However, after some time on the BBS, it is apparent that any teener CAN be saved. The question is does anyone want to take the project on?

I'm sure the welders will chime in here soon. They're the experts in this area.

Eric
6freak
QUOTE(Volksvolgen @ Jul 22 2008, 10:26 AM) *

I would like to ask the experts in this forum if this car can be restored, or is it just a parts donor.

Thanks for looking.

strip it sell all the parts and buy one you can drive while you fix ur up......SCRAP sawzall-smiley.gif..... JMO
carr914
Can it be restored; Sure, how much money do you have?

The rust on the passenger side is severe and will cost a bunch in parts and more in labor if someone else is going to fix it.

The fact that it looks like it's been sitting a long time means all the mechanicals will need to be gone through as well

Sorry, but if you fix this, you will be upside down a long time.

T.C.
Rand
Depends on how much money, time, welding skills, and patience you have. It can definitely be restored, but it will take lots of the above. It wouldn't be practical, especially if you sent it to a shop to have it done. But I enjoy that kind of work, so I would save it.
r_towle
Yes, save it.
figure about $500 in steel parts.
Figure about 100-200 hours to get her ready for paint.
Rich
carr914
Oh and I forgot.. welcome.png

I would estimate steel parts to be at least a Grand

T.C.

dr914@autoatlanta.com
nice original car!!!! Easy restoration! Thank you for saving it. Adriatic blue is a fantastic color!
SirAndy
there's a member here from germany who restored one with the same amount of rust damage as yours and it even was the same color!

his screenname is "michelko" and here's his restoration thread:

http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?showtopic=16748

smash.gif Andy

IPB Image
JoeSharp
Nothing about this restoration will be easy. Look at the picture that Sir posted. The pasenger side of the car is cut in half. You need $1000 worth of sheet metal just to start. You can buy a roller and have it shipped from SloCal for that. Then after you have the metal parts you still have a years work in front of you to get the car ready for paint.

Take a vacation to SloCal and we will help find a roller and have it sent to you at home. That is the easyest way to fix that long.
scotty b
Want the truth ?? Her's what will happen to you.

1: you buy a small yet decent welder = 650.00

2: you buy the sheet metal parts you need to replace. = initially 800.00 then add another 500.00 ++ to that

3: you now realize you will ned an air compressor and some air tools to get the job done = 700.00 +

4: you get frustrated learning how to weld, post pictures here and everyone with a smelly buthole tells you what to correct ( most will be 1/2 right )

5: By now almost a year has gone by, you realize you are in WAAAYYYY over your head, the wife starts moaning and making snide remarks, so out of frustration you put the car up for sale.

6: all the same smelly buttholes post to your ad about how significant the rust is and how you may have distorted the body by cutting out metal and not bracing it properly

7: you get pissed off at the smelly buttholes and list the car on E-bay. NOW YOU"VE DONE IT !! All the jerks on here ( like me ) start e-mailing you REDICULOUS questions, and some genuine idiots ask you really stupid questions like ( does it run ) ( can I drive it home ) etc

8: you've had it, ENOUGH !! you call a local scrapper to haul this POS out of your life, he gives you 50.00 for it, he gets 200.00 for it at the yard and all you have to show for it is a pile of tools you'll never use again, a possible divorce, and some really angry neighbors.

9: Since Mr. Hussey thinks it is such a fine piece sell it to him and save up for a current driver with HALF of the issues this pile has.

10: Take the pile to a restoration shop and start stroking checks. My professional opinion you're looking at 8,000.00 minimun for a decent driver 15,000.00 for a pretty nice ride and close to 23,000.00 for a REALLY nice car

11: good luck and God speed. ( that's how he got all that done in 7 days you know....speed.........GOD speed
Dr Evil
QUOTE(Joe Sharp @ Jul 22 2008, 05:13 PM) *

Nothing about this restoration will be easy. Look at the picture that Sir posted. The pasenger side of the car is cut in half. You need $1000 worth of sheet metal just to start. You can buy a roller and have it shipped from SloCal for that. Then after you have the metal parts you still have a years work in front of you to get the car ready for paint.

Take a vacation to SloCal and we will help find a roller and have it sent to you at home. That is the easyest way to fix that long.

Joe, I have been looking for a roller for a few months now and havent found anything nice in SoCal confused24.gif Do you know of any?
Eric_Shea
Why save it when you can simply glorify the text and sell it on eBay for "Thou$and$" (you don't even need a correct VIN to do that). biggrin.gif
Cap'n Krusty
As my instructor in P-car school once answered the question: "Can I xxxxxxxxxx?" (AKA: "Is it possible to xxxxxxxxxxx?")

"You can do anything, my friend, if you have the money ......"

That just about sums up my philosophy. Brett Johnson restored a rare 356 Cabriolet chassis so rusted away the VIN plate was reportedly only marginally salvageable. Is the car worth it? Maybe. Will yours be? No. Do you have as much money as he does? Maybe not.

The Cap'n
rick 918-S
QUOTE(r_towle @ Jul 22 2008, 09:42 AM) *

Yes, save it.
figure about $500 in steel parts.
Figure about 100-200 hours to get her ready for paint.
Rich

agree.gif All the parts are available. welcome.png
r_towle
Scotty had a bad day at work....and a few beers...laugh.gif

Rich
Volksvolgen
. . . the wife starts moaning and making snide remarks. . .

That part began the minute she pulled into the driveway and saw the gem.

The rest is entirely accurate. I know. This is not my first trip to Niagra Falls.

At any rate, thanks to all for the advice, honest opinions, pictures, and inspiration. I think I'll tinker on the 914 for awhile before I put it on Ebay.

Oh. Yes, it runs perfectly. Drive it anywhere!
GreatPumpkin
QUOTE(Volksvolgen @ Jul 22 2008, 01:26 PM) *

Thanks for looking.

its gunna be a lot of work

welder.gif
james2
It was worth saving from scrape, you will make money on the parts. Look around and find a roller with less rust and use this car for parts.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.