Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Wheel Alignment
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
warrenoliver
I would like to get my 73 914 aligned. I am assuming that I should get a "4 wheel alignment" done. My question is: Where to get the alignment done? Should I go to the local Porsche dealer? I am a little reluctant to do that since they readily admit that "those 914's weren't very popular", so they are not real interested in my business. bootyshake.gif
Around here, there are no other 914's that I am aware. There are local shops that offer alignment of course, but how do I make sure they know what the heck they are doing?

Thanks.

Warrenoliver
r_towle
any decent alignment shop can do this.
Most will give you a before and after readout.
If you look in the member vendor forum, you will see that Engman sells camber shims for the rear. This is only part that they wont have.
The rest is nuts and bolts that get loosened and aligned.

Bring shims, bring your desired camber settings (look in Haynes for stock settings) and explain what you want.

In the rear, two days prior to going..
Look at the outside suspension ear..there are three bolts.
Go to the top of the bolts and remove the plastic cap.
Fill it with PB blaster...two days in a row.
Then the bolts will come loose for the shop guys...and they wont break one of them.

Aside from that, any shop will do.
Rich
warrenoliver
QUOTE(r_towle @ Jul 22 2008, 05:08 PM) *

any decent alignment shop can do this.
Most will give you a before and after readout.
If you look in the member vendor forum, you will see that Engman sells camber shims for the rear. This is only part that they wont have.
The rest is nuts and bolts that get loosened and aligned.

Bring shims, bring your desired camber settings (look in Haynes for stock settings) and explain what you want.

In the rear, two days prior to going..
Look at the outside suspension ear..there are three bolts.
Go to the top of the bolts and remove the plastic cap.
Fill it with PB blaster...two days in a row.
Then the bolts will come loose for the shop guys...and they wont break one of them.

Aside from that, any shop will do.
Rich

Hey, thanks for the tip on the bolts and the other good info.

Warren
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.