Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Auto insurance for non-dailiy driver 914
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
rjames
I just found out that the classic auto insurance that I currently have does not cover me when I'm driving to/from work. It will only cover the car when driven to car shows (doesn't apply biggrin.gif ) or 'pleasure drives' and the occaisional errand.

Other than that little caviat, I like the policy. There are no deductibles and it's cheap (~$150 per year). I can't put more than 3k miles per year on it, but that's ok becuase it's usually in the garage being worked on. dry.gif av-943.gif

I didn't want to go with a 'regular' insurance company because I really don't drive it that much, I didn't want to pay the high premiums, plus I'd like to think that a classic car insurer would be more accommodating in the need I ever need to invoke the policy. However, I would like to be able to take it to work on a sunny day once in a while. driving.gif

So what are you non-daily 914 drivers using for auto insurance?
KELTY360
Why can't a drive to work be a 'pleasure drive'? How is that definition spelled out in the policy? If you're not using it on a daily basis and racking up miles, you shouldn't have a problem, unless it gets vandalized in the parking lot at your office.
rjames
QUOTE(KELTY360 @ Jul 22 2008, 03:55 PM) *

Why can't a drive to work be a 'pleasure drive'? How is that definition spelled out in the policy? If you're not using it on a daily basis and racking up miles, you shouldn't have a problem, unless it gets vandalized in the parking lot at your office.

It's pretty specfic, quoting here:

"Occasional pleasure use means the vehicle is not used or driven to or from work or school"

I guess if there was an accident I could say I was just out driving for fun at 7am? confused24.gif rolleyes.gif
Racer
Therein lies the rub. You don't get to pay a low rate AND get to use your car as you please. The Ins. companies know this. The reason your classic car premium is so low is because they limit how much you can use it. And a normal street policy won't pay you what your car is worth should something happen to it.

I am currently using "conventional" name brand service, but I will be switching to either Hagarty or Grundy since I find myself using the 914 less and less "daily".

I don't think you will find ANY "cheap, good coverage classic car ins" that will allow you to have conventional style use.
rjames
QUOTE(Racer @ Jul 22 2008, 05:09 PM) *

Therein lies the rub. You don't get to pay a low rate AND get to use your car as you please. The Ins. companies know this. The reason your classic car premium is so low is because they limit how much you can use it. And a normal street policy won't pay you what your car is worth should something happen to it.

I am currently using "conventional" name brand service, but I will be switching to either Hagarty or Grundy since I find myself using the 914 less and less "daily".

I don't think you will find ANY "cheap, good coverage classic car ins" that will allow you to have conventional style use.

You may be right. But I was hoping to at least be able to drive to work every once in a while. I'd like to find classic car insurance that just had a mileage limit rather than specific rules on where I could drive the car, but maybe that doesn't exist.
tod914
Why can't a drive to work be a 'pleasure drive'?

If your business is pleasure, then you might be able to get away with
an occasional bang.
Carlitos Way
i just recently switched to... no, not GEICO. They seem to SUCK for our cars. But I did switch to AllState of all places. The guy was phenomenally good for service, came to my house to sign all documents and do the vehicle inspections, and the car is insured with a stated value policy... for somewhere around $500 a year. This being the second car in a two-driver policy, with no mileage restrictions stated.
Gint
First of all, all "stated value" policies are not the same. I heard Ted(?) Grundy himself explain on MCC that you need the right form and they are different (19something vs. 19a or c or some such minutia). I'm not here to argue about whether or not someone here has the right coverage or not. Buyer beware is all I'm sayin...

Be careful about that "pleasure drive at 7 a.m." stuff. If someone plows your car in the parking lot at work (like my DD was a while back) with no note, no nothing you're not going to be happy when they won't cover it. As stated previously, it's cheaper because they don't want to pay for every door ding you might get.
6freak
QUOTE(rjames @ Jul 22 2008, 03:28 PM) *

I just found out that the classic auto insurance that I currently have does not cover me when I'm driving to/from work. It will only cover the car when driven to car shows (doesn't apply biggrin.gif ) or 'pleasure drives' and the occaisional errand.

Other than that little caviat, I like the policy. There are no deductibles and it's cheap (~$150 per year). I can't put more than 3k miles per year on it, but that's ok becuase it's usually in the garage being worked on. dry.gif av-943.gif

I didn't want to go with a 'regular' insurance company because I really don't drive it that much, I didn't want to pay the high premiums, plus I'd like to think that a classic car insurer would be more accommodating in the need I ever need to invoke the policy. However, I would like to be able to take it to work on a sunny day once in a while. driving.gif

So what are you non-daily 914 drivers using for auto insurance?

Try Leland West there pretty good to me! Under $400 a year I get 5k miles a year and the cars covered for 45k...But lots of must be`s ....good luck
JRust
I use Hagerty & am very happy. Under $200 a year with a stated value of 14k. May be bumping that up more as I do some more upgrades. I honestly don't know the specifics on if I can drive it to work occasionally. I could certainly drive it to work on my day off(wink wink nudg nudge) just to pick up my check confused24.gif
ericread
I have a little different situation. Daily Driver and about 15,000 miles a year in SoCal. Any ideas on a more economical insurance carrier. I'm paying about $100.00 per month right now.

Thanks,

Eric Read

DarrenG
State Farm has an option of 7500 miles per year.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.