Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Griot's Garage buffer-who uses one
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
retrofit
Need some feedback re the Griot's Garage buffer.
I know it's a repackaged B&D that has been tweeked to make it a better buffer than a random orbital sander-so what. Does it perform better than other polishers?
Need opinions re their products. Curious about Griots paint sealant vs wax.
I have been using Meguires most of the time. Too bad they discontinued the tire gell product. It lasted and gave the tires a clean rubber look, unlike the others that leave the tire looking like wet plastic.
TIA
Allen
r_towle
I am still an old school guy with this.
I only use Caranuba wax and I only do it by hand.
I hate swirl marks on cars...

Rich
NoEcm
Take a look at the Porter Cable 7424:
http://www.coastaltool.com/cgi-bin/SoftCar...d1ef+1216776639
(this one includes the Velco backing pad).

UPS Ground shipping to the West Coast was only $8.50

No affiliation with the above but I did buy my 7424 polisher from them.

Leaves no swirl marks and is highly regarded by the pros
KELTY360
agree.gif

I've used that item for years. I bought it as a sander and then attended a Meguiar's seminar and saw them selling the same item with their own label. Easy to handle, works very well.
turboman808
I've used the griots polisher and liked it very much. Most of the guys who don't like it are guys in the buisness who find it takes to long to use. When it comes to my car and my cars paint I don't mind it taking 1.5 hours instead of 1. If it was a buisness then it's a bit different I guess.

Sealents provide better protection but not as much shine compared to a wax. I would say the difference is hard to detect. But a sealant last much longer then wax and does a better job at protecting it. If you watch the Griots videos he says that his wax is better for the trailer queen and sealants are better for every day.

I really don't see how you can polish a car without a polisher of some sort. By hand you will be working for days to get out the scratches in the clear coat that come on any new car.

By the way I live right next to this detail shop that cannot detail cars. They ruin paint job after paint job but they only charge $100 to do it. I should take pictures of the cars that come out of there. They put swirls in the entire paint surface of the whole car.
biosurfer1
+1 Porter Cable...makes waxing fun!
r_towle
QUOTE(turboman808 @ Jul 22 2008, 07:52 PM) *

I really don't see how you can polish a car without a polisher of some sort. By hand you will be working for days to get out the scratches in the clear coat that come on any new car.

I use a full size professional makita buffer to go from wet sanding up to polishing.
Its one of the long two handed versions...
I still hand glaze and hand wax....old school though.
Wax has never failed me.

I agree, polishing would suck without some sort of tool. I just happen to like makita tools, so that was natural for me.

I use the 3m product line for all the polishing goop...its available at the local paint store and was recommended to me by several high end paint shops as "the" only way to go...so I listened.

Rich
zymurgist
Anybody using an air powered polisher? What are you using? I'd love to have an excuse to buy another air tool.
tdgray
Another one for the Porter Cable.... does a very good job.
dbu356
I bought this "clone" of the 7424....but I can't remember the reason why....and it did a great job. I used to use the 7" grinder/polishers by Makita and PC. The 7424 clone was much faster and safer with a better shine when done.

linky: http://www.autopia-carcare.com/inf-pc7424.html

David
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.