Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: SSI heat exchangers
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
watsonrx13
I've noticed that the SS heat exchangers for the 2.0l engine are getting harder and/or more expensive. I have a couple of questions about SSI:

1. Is there an original owner of SSI heat exchanger on this board? Is so, when did you purchase them?

2. When did SSI start offering the 2.0l version?

3. What was the price of a new set of SSI heat exchangers back in the day?

4. Has anyone contacted SSI and asked if they'd consider creating new HEs? If so, what would they cost now?

5. Did any other company ever offer the HEs in SS?

-- Rob
davep
I bought my first, of many, set back about 1976 or so. Don't recall the price off hand. The owner of SSI apparently does not want the 914 business and basically refuses to make more. No one else made them AFAIK.
SGB
I bought mine off ebay about 5 years ago, unused and sealed in the SSI boxes (yeah, I was amazed, too. They were clearly about 20 years old). I paid $500.00.
SirAndy
QUOTE(watsonrx13 @ Jul 22 2008, 05:26 PM) *

4. Has anyone contacted SSI and asked if they'd consider creating new HEs? If so, what would they cost now?

Yes, i have talked to John many times. He's up in Novato, CA and he's a 914 guy!

To paraphrase his words:
"There will never ever be another run of SSI 914 heat exchangers ..."

So, no, there won't be any more. Ever.
bye1.gif Andy
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.