Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Tranny Leaks..
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Hey All,

I have two tranny leaks that I am planning on cleaning up.
The speedo leak is well documented and I think I am ready to go.

My problem is the shift console leak. I have performed several searches with lot's of talk about this leak BUT I can't seem find any threads detailing this fix. It looks like there are two seals on the console from the exploded view. It looks like the whole ear comes off if you change both.

I am wondering am if I am going to run into any trouble(getting gears back!!) if attempted

Thanks in advance for replies

JKP
Dr Evil
No problem, but there is 1 seal, an O-ring. The paper gasket does not go on the side shifters.

Drain the tranny, put a bucket under the console, remove the shifter, place tranny in neutral, remove 2 13mm nuts, remove console.

Reverse is easy. You will also need 2 new cone screws for the shift rod install.
Cap'n Krusty
One o-ring, one conventional radial seal. Drain the tranny, remove the shift rod and cup (probably have to remove the coupler, too). With the tranny in neutral, remove the 2 nuts and washers holding the console to the case. Lift the console out and up/down. (Wiggle the sucker!) Support the rod on a vise and knock out the roll pin. PAY ATTENTION to the way the part you remove is installed! Remove the rod, carefully remove the seal from the housing, clean it up, and install the new seal. Oil it well, insert the rod and the selector piece, then tap in the roll pin. Add the o-ring to the console, wipe the case opening clean and dry, and install the console EXACTLY as it was before you removed it. Install the nuts and washers, the rod and the cup, and the coupler. Note: I have found it wise to replace the plastic ball cup, the shift rod bushing (I like the bronze ones, installed in the proper orientation) and ALWAYS the cone screws. Refill the transaxle with the proper GL-5 hypoid gear oil of your choice, and have a tasty beverage of your preference! Oh, maybe you should replace the o-ring and the radial seal in the speedo drive before you do that last step ............

The Cap'n
Dr Evil
Ah ya, the shaft seal too. Make sure you remove the inner comb to remove the shaft. It is best to do the inner because when you reinstall the shaft you will not risk buggering up the seal by shoving the shaft into the seal the wrong way.
roadster fan
looks like it is a 72, would it have a tailshift? Different procedure would be needed me thinks.

Jim
QUOTE(roadster fan @ Jul 23 2008, 03:10 AM) *

looks like it is a 72, would it have a tailshift? Different procedure would be needed me thinks.

Jim

72 boby...75 1.8 w/ side shifter.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.