Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Amber fan shroud for 6 cyl
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
JackB
Does anyone have a good source for an amber (some say honey colored or clear) fan shroud for my 914/6. I've heard there's a big range of fit and quality out there. Anyone have first hand experience to share?

Thanks!

Jack
Cap'n Krusty
"Amber"? Like the 906? Rare, and the originals wouldn't fit a regular 911 engine because of the oil cooler configuration, I think. I suppose, like a lot of other exotic stuff, someone's making them for the poseurs ..................... The Cap'n
JackB
There are several sources. They're available for just about any configuration of the air-cooled six. I'm just checking to see if anybody's had experience with any of them. They're essentially just plain fiberglass without any color. They take on a nice color after several heat cycles.
Richard Casto
I don't have any direct experience but #1 on my list would probably be the FG set from Getty Design http://www.gettydesign.com/ They can provide the FG in Amber (I assume natural color) or Black.
JackB
Also available from GT Racing, Series900 and some other vendors, but for all I know they're all made by the same manufacturer. Based on what I've read on Pelican and Early911S Registry forum, Series900 might have the best product, or at least one that's made in-house by the vendor.
PeeGreen 914
GT racing and Ghetty make their own stuff. Both very good products with high quality.
Eric_Shea
Series900 is the best I've seen.
PeeGreen 914
What is their web address?
SLITS
You will suffer a great loss of face with the pinky lifter crowd if your shroud color is not correct for your six cylinder engine. av-943.gif

Red is the color of choice as it was supposedly fitted to the "S" engines. Using the red shroud allows you to buy more gold chains and have a manicure without being called a "Girly Boy".
Richard Casto
I think the amber/natural FG is one up on the Red/S cover. It is going for the RSR look!
ArtechnikA
QUOTE(SLITS @ Jul 23 2008, 10:08 AM) *

Red is the color of choice as it was supposedly fitted to the "S" engines.

Red is the 911 crowd's "Type R" sticker.

Many 911's have been made faster by the judicious application of rattle-can red...
ClayPerrine
QUOTE(ArtechnikA @ Jul 23 2008, 12:18 PM) *

Many 911's have been made faster by the judicious application of rattle-can red...

The shroud on my 914/6 engine is red... dry.gif But it was painted to match the car, not to fool people into thinking it is an S motor.

turboman808
How hard is it to paint the engine shroud. Or I should say take it off to powder coat.

Mine is yellow and I don't like it. So it my gas tank.
seanery
it's fiberglass.

I've painted them before. First you have to degrease it, then sand as needed, then prime it, lightly sand it again, then paint it, then clear it, then more sanding, then more clear, then a little more sanding, then polish, then wax, then sit back and say how great it looks and realize how quickly it's gonna get covered with crap again.
PeeGreen 914
QUOTE(SLITS @ Jul 23 2008, 07:08 AM) *

You will suffer a great loss of face with the pinky lifter crowd if your shroud color is not correct for your six cylinder engine. av-943.gif

Red is the color of choice as it was supposedly fitted to the "S" engines. Using the red shroud allows you to buy more gold chains and have a manicure without being called a "Girly Boy".

You have a lot of gold chains s then? av-943.gif
Eric_Shea
Mine's red but it should be Amber. tongue.gif
effutuo101
Mine is Pheonix Red, does that make it faster? I wonder if I painted it yellow.... biggrin.gif
JackB

Well, the existing shroud is red, because in fact it is a 911S engine. But I've always liked the amber shrouds so now that the engine's out it's a good time to make the change. I don't mind making changes to my /6 as long as they aren't permanent and can be converted back to original spec.

Jack
SLITS
QUOTE(Eric_Shea @ Jul 23 2008, 11:28 AM) *

Mine's red but it should be Amber. tongue.gif

BULLSHIT

It's pink Salmon!
SLITS
QUOTE(Phoenix 914-6GT @ Jul 23 2008, 11:24 AM) *

QUOTE(SLITS @ Jul 23 2008, 07:08 AM) *

You have a lot of gold chains s then? av-943.gif

I have to have help to walk upright! bootyshake.gif
Eric_Shea
I have to have help to walk upright!

So THAT's what Clayton was doing when I walked into your hotel room that day... helping you walk upright. Now I get it... sheeplove.gif
zymurgist
QUOTE(ArtechnikA @ Jul 23 2008, 01:18 PM) *

Mine is red.

But the previous owner did use "S" cams when he built the motor (among other improvements).

I saw a carbon fiber one at Hershey a few years back... now there's your bling!
ArtechnikA
QUOTE(zymurgist @ Jul 23 2008, 03:31 PM) *

...the previous owner did use "S" cams when he built the motor (among other improvements).

This is occasionally possible but you do have to be careful, because it's one of the famous benchracer bullshit lines.

It's hard to 'just' put in S cams (unless we are talking CIS-era S, which are pretty soft, S or not...) because in the early cars, S cams will make valves too friendly with pistons. The big valve relief pockets cut onto 911S pistons are not there to lower compression ;-)
PeeGreen 914
QUOTE(Eric_Shea @ Jul 23 2008, 11:53 AM) *

I have to have help to walk upright!

So THAT's what Clayton was doing when I walked into your hotel room that day... helping you walk upright. Now I get it... sheeplove.gif

av-943.gif blink.gif
PeeGreen 914
QUOTE(zymurgist @ Jul 23 2008, 12:31 PM) *

I saw a carbon fiber one at Hershey a few years back... now there's your bling!

I have seen those. A guy told me he'd sell me one for $1,000 blink.gif . I'll pass.
zymurgist
QUOTE(ArtechnikA @ Jul 23 2008, 03:37 PM) *

It's hard to 'just' put in S cams (unless we are talking CIS-era S, which are pretty soft, S or not...) because in the early cars, S cams will make valves too friendly with pistons. The big valve relief pockets cut onto 911S pistons are not there to lower compression ;-)

I tend to believe him. He turned a 2.4 MFI "T" motor into a screamer. It dyno'ed 190 at the wheels.
Joe Bob
Mine's red when it's angry.....
bondo
Why not sand through the gelcoat and partway into the fiberglass of the stock one, and then add a layer of fiberglass and epoxy? It would probably be stronger than stock, all airflow patters (inside) would be stock, and it would be a natural fiberglass color on the outside. It would even have a hand built look, like you might find on a race car or prototype. (hand laid fiberglass is generally considered superior, especially when intended to be left unpainted)
JackB
QUOTE(Eric_Shea @ Jul 23 2008, 02:41 AM) *

Series900 is the best I've seen.

That seems to be the consensus of what I've heard.

Jack
seanery
pics, contact info or link for Series900?
JackB
QUOTE(seanery @ Jul 24 2008, 12:56 AM) *

pics, contact info or link for Series900?

Series900@nhvt.net The contact is Damon. I believe he's the owner.

Jack
brant
QUOTE(ArtechnikA @ Jul 23 2008, 01:37 PM) *

...the previous owner did use "S" cams when he built the motor (among other improvements).

This is occasionally possible but you do have to be careful, because it's one of the famous benchracer bullshit lines.

agreed,

the S cams need S pistons, which need S cylinders...
suddenly its an S motor in total...
Its usually more than just changing the cams

it can absolutely be done
but its more than "just cams"

brant
ArtechnikA
Here's the exception I referenced...

Near as I can tell (for obvious reasons, performance cam houses do not show the CIS 911S among their offerings...) the 1975 911S differed from the "911" cams only in timing.

From '911 Story' ---

CODE

i open/close:       2,7           2,7S
                    22ºbt/58ºab     16ºbt/72ºab
e open/close:       52ºbb/16ºat     47ºbb/21ºat

identical exhaust duration, in fact, but with timing shifted relative to the intake.

I have not been able to find lift specs, and this is not my research project.

But here's a case where there's no real difference between S and non-S in lift. I'd further guess but can't research this morning that a '75 2,7S has less lift than a 2,0S cam.
zymurgist
QUOTE(brant @ Jul 24 2008, 01:54 AM) *

QUOTE(ArtechnikA @ Jul 23 2008, 01:37 PM) *

agreed,

the S cams need S pistons, which need S cylinders...
suddenly its an S motor in total...
Its usually more than just changing the cams

it can absolutely be done
but its more than "just cams"

brant

I'm not in touch with the guy, so I don't have a way of asking what "everything" he did to the motor to build it up was. But the dyno doesn't lie. Obviously he did more than "just cams" to get to 190 at the wheels.
ArtechnikA
QUOTE(zymurgist @ Jul 24 2008, 08:40 AM) *

he did more than "just cams" to get to 190 at the wheels.

Yes - we're agreeing with you ;-)

What we're actually discussing in this thread (aside from the actual stated topic) is the murky world of 'fresh rebuild' engines for sale.

A bit of rattle-can red and suddenly you have a 911S engine. or an engine 'built to 911S specs.' or 'built with 911S parts.' I think I'd almost rather have a basket case or a tired virgin core. (instead I have a tired Motor Meister rebuild of a '75S' with - yes - a red fan shroud. I have no doubt many surprises await... But I knew I was buying a core and the price was right...)

You see this all the time - engines described as "2,7RS" when all it really means is they found some 90mm Mahle P&C's. No MFI, no RS dizzy...

The same thing happens in the T-IV world. We've seen many cases of "fresh 2,0 engine" being built with 1,7 heads and 2,0 bus pistons.

Some phrases just wave red flags.

I'm sure your engine is happy and healthy and I'm glad you have the dyno numbers that back it up.
zymurgist
QUOTE(ArtechnikA @ Jul 24 2008, 08:52 AM) *

Yes - we're agreeing with you ;-)

No worries! beerchug.gif

A bit of rattle-can red and suddenly you have a 911S engine. or an engine 'built to 911S specs.' or 'built with 911S parts.' I think I'd almost rather have a basket case or a tired virgin core. (instead I have a tired Motor Meister rebuild of a '75S' with - yes - a red fan shroud. I have no doubt many surprises await... But I knew I was buying a core and the price was right...)

I hear you... I have been thinking about buying a tired engine that needs a rebuild and building it for the 911... that way, when I decide to sell the car, I'll pull its current engine and keep it for a 914 project "to be designated later."

I did think about the carbon fiber shroud when I saw it at Hershey... for about 30 seconds. Then I put the bong down and went back to rummaging through the body fiberglass.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.