Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Tranny Help
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Ian Stott
Was changing the clutch in my 73 2.0 and instead of robbing parts off my 74 1.8 transmission we just swapped it in, I noticed after in one publication the transmissions have different numbers. Need advice here do I need a transmission specific to 2.0 engines??

Ian Stott
Moncton
Canada
SLITS
All the same 'cept for tailshifter vs sideshifter.

That said, the stock clutch for a 1.7/1.8 was a four spring friction disk. The 2.0 used essentially the same clutch as the 914/6 .... six spring friction disk, but the can be used interchangeably. Pressure plates supposedly were different rates too! After this many years, a greater percentage of the clutches have been changed over to the six spring anyway.
Dave_Darling
The different numbers are just different serial numbers (or build date codes). The gearing is identical in all stock four-cylinder 914 transmissions.

--DD
Ian Stott
Ok, great to know about the transmissions being the same, I was a bit concerned when I read in the book the were different numbers. The clutch I put in was a 6 spring I had bought from Jake to go into my 74 . Cleaned the car up and the wife and I went for a drive, stopped for gas and drew a crowd! Loving this car, it has issues of course but will get them sorted out over time. Can't shift into 4th gear, reverse, 1st to 2nd to 3rd all quite smooth but then have to jump over to 5th, car pulls smoothly in 5th from below 3000 RPM which says to me engine is good. Any hints on why 4th is misbehaving??
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.