Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: i spent the last 3 days adding VINs to our database ...
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
SirAndy
I spent the last 3 days ( unsure.gif ) adding new VIN numbers to our database that i collected from all over the internet and out of various print publications ...
i added over 300 new VINs! type.gif

i also cleaned up the database and made some changes to the interface.
most notably, you can now list all '74 Limited Edition Cars separately and the display for them is now color coded. piratenanner.gif

here is a breakdown of the current database content:

- Total of "unique" VIN Numbers in the Database: 4255

- Total '69 VINs = 4
- Total '70 VINs = 634
- Total '71 VINs = 311
- Total '72 VINs = 545
- Total '73 VINs = 1028
- Total '74 VINs = 1248
- Total '75 VINs = 579
- Total '76 VINs = 290

- Total of prototype Cars = 4
- Total of 914/4 Cars = 4183
- Total of 914/6 Cars = 441
- Total of 916 Cars = 11
- Total of GTs - Factory/Dealer/m471 Cars = 57
- Total of Limited Edition Cars = 202
- Total of crushed/dead/destroyed Cars = 158
- Total of Cars with a Picture attached = 271

- Prototype Cars:
'69 = 4

- 914/4:
'70 = 253
'71 = 258
'72 = 528
'73 = 1028
'74 = 1248
'75 = 579
'76 = 290

- 914/6:
'70 = 381
'71 = 52
'72 = 8

- 916:
'71 = 1
'72 = 10

if you haven't updated your VIN info yet, please click the link below to do so:
http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?act=membervins

you can add as many VIN numbers as you like. we'd like to hear about all your cars, past and present. even the ones you cut up.
and if you came across a car in a junkyard or a field and you got the VIN number off of it, please PM one of the VIN admins so we can add those to the database as well.

special thanks goes to Rob Watson for sending me a comprehensive list of '74 cars! beerchug.gif

if you have any questions please contact me.
santa_smiley.gif Andy
davep
Thanks Andy, that is a LOT of work.
I think it means a lot of work for me to add the new info to my database.
Oh well, a labour of love.
helios
Wow, you've been busy. Very nice. I suppose I should probably add mine here one of these days in the near future. blink.gif I can be such a slacker.
ericread
Nice job Andy smilie_pokal.gif
helios
Gotta a quick question for you Andy. I did a search of my VIN (#4732902869) before I went and just started plunking information in, and it turns out the VIN is already listed by the prior owner. How would you like me to go about updating it? Or would you just like me to make a new entry? I did notice that he didn't have much information (such as all of the build tag info) other than the VIN.
Dr. Roger
8's????? ;-)
watsonrx13
Great job Andy..... I really like the new LE colors.... aktion035.gif

-- Rob
davep
QUOTE(helios @ Jul 23 2008, 10:25 PM) *

Gotta a quick question for you Andy. I did a search of my VIN (#4732902869) before I went and just started plunking information in, and it turns out the VIN is already listed by the prior owner. How would you like me to go about updating it? Or would you just like me to make a new entry? I did notice that he didn't have much information (such as all of the build tag info) other than the VIN.

Just add the info under your own name, and we can delete the association with the old owner.
Dave
SirAndy
QUOTE(helios @ Jul 23 2008, 10:25 PM) *

just add a new record for yourself with all the info you can find. you might want to add a note in the description that you are the current owner.

duplicate entries or not bad at all as they help showing the owner history of the car ...
beerchug.gif Andy
SirAndy
QUOTE(Dr. Roger @ Jul 23 2008, 11:54 PM) *

8's????? ;-)

there were no factory V8 cars ...
shades.gif Andy
SirAndy
QUOTE(davep @ Jul 24 2008, 05:51 AM) *

and we can delete the association with the old owner.

please don't ...
bye1.gif Andy
mstein95
There are approx six 914 carcasses at the VW/Porsche garage I frequent. I will Retrieve their VIN's and add them to the list.
SirAndy
QUOTE(mstein95 @ Jul 24 2008, 10:22 AM) *

There are approx six 914 carcasses at the VW/Porsche garage I frequent. I will Retrieve their VIN's and add them to the list.

smilie_pokal.gif

also, please try to get the paint code and chassis number from the karman plate in the drivers side door jamb and the build date from the drivers side door decal!

maybe even some crappy cellphone pictures ...
beerchug.gif Andy
ArtechnikA
QUOTE(SirAndy @ Jul 24 2008, 02:13 PM) *

no - only factory flat-8's.

(2 total)
SirAndy
QUOTE(ArtechnikA @ Jul 24 2008, 02:15 PM) *

QUOTE(SirAndy @ Jul 24 2008, 02:13 PM) *

no - only factory flat-8's. (2 total)

which weren't exactly "factory" either. both were build up from prototype /6 cars as presents for the porsche family.

hardly what i would call a production car and therefore they don't get any special treatment on the VIN pages.

both are, however, listed under factory prototypes from '69 ...
shades.gif Andy

PS: Roger is a V8 guy, that's why i assumed he was referring to a V8 and not a flat 8 ...
bondo
QUOTE(SirAndy @ Jul 24 2008, 10:13 AM) *

duplicate entries or not bad at all as they help showing the owner history of the car ...
beerchug.gif Andy

Future DAPOs take note... we're watching you! happy11.gif
Pat Garvey
QUOTE(SirAndy @ Jul 23 2008, 08:24 PM) *

I spent the last 3 days ( unsure.gif ) adding new VIN numbers to our database that i collected from all over the internet and out of various print publications ...
i added over 300 new VINs! type.gif

i also cleaned up the database and made some changes to the interface.
most notably, you can now list all '74 Limited Edition Cars separately and the display for them is now color coded. piratenanner.gif

here is a breakdown of the current database content:

- Total of "unique" VIN Numbers in the Database: 4255

- Total '69 VINs = 4
- Total '70 VINs = 634
- Total '71 VINs = 311
- Total '72 VINs = 545
- Total '73 VINs = 1028
- Total '74 VINs = 1248
- Total '75 VINs = 579
- Total '76 VINs = 290

- Total of prototype Cars = 4
- Total of 914/4 Cars = 4183
- Total of 914/6 Cars = 441
- Total of 916 Cars = 11
- Total of GTs - Factory/Dealer/m471 Cars = 57
- Total of Limited Edition Cars = 202
- Total of crushed/dead/destroyed Cars = 158
- Total of Cars with a Picture attached = 271

- Prototype Cars:
'69 = 4

- 914/4:
'70 = 253
'71 = 258
'72 = 528
'73 = 1028
'74 = 1248
'75 = 579
'76 = 290

- 914/6:
'70 = 381
'71 = 52
'72 = 8

- 916:
'71 = 1
'72 = 10

if you haven't updated your VIN info yet, please click the link below to do so:

you can add as many VIN numbers as you like. we'd like to hear about all your cars, past and present. even the ones you cut up.
and if you came across a car in a junkyard or a field and you got the VIN number off of it, please PM one of the VIN admins so we can add those to the database as well.

special thanks goes to Rob Watson for sending me a comprehensive list of '74 cars! beerchug.gif

if you have any questions please contact me.
santa_smiley.gif Andy

Andy! Yoodaman! Thank you!
Pat
hot_shoe914
Great job Andy. I updated mine and when I get a chance in the daylight I will try to get build dates and such. I will also try and do some research and see if I can come up with the vin for the demolished LE in my avtar. Maybe I can find the title or something.

Donald
drewvw

Nice work Andy. I love metrics like this...
Dr. Roger
good work mein Herr. wink.gif

maybe tracking which cars have modified engines is not such a good idea....
sww914
Thanks for doing it, and also thanks for taking the time to tell us about it. We appreciate all that you admins do. You're the reason that this is IMO the very best auto enthusiast website anywhere.
spare time toys
Updated mine that it was sold to a guy in Ohio
BarberDave
smilie_pokal.gif

Thanks for the effort Andy, the Administration here rocks, all of you. Again thanks. I will update mine ASAP. Dave slap.gif
SirAndy
icon_bump.gif beerchug.gif
markb
I put a bunch in, some dead from the wrecking yard. It looks like a few are dupes from before and may need to be deleted.
SirAndy
QUOTE(markb @ Jul 29 2008, 01:18 PM) *

I put a bunch in, some dead from the wrecking yard. It looks like a few are dupes from before and may need to be deleted.

Thanks! smilie_pokal.gif

i'll clean up the wrecking yard finds later, no worries ...
type.gif Andy
SGB
Wow.
I've been ignoring this thread. I knew my VIN was in the database, so I did not even read about what you have done.

Well, slap me naked!

I gotta go get chassis numbers and build dates to fill in the missing info. You added a LOT of feilds besides VIN. Neato. Now I'll have a new quest- get VINs, get all VINs!

Nice work amigo.
SirAndy
added another 60 VINs over the last three days ...

huh.gif Andy
SirAndy
more improvements to the Members VIN pages ...

- added a red colored background for VIN numbers that fall outside the known VIN range for that year

- added a yellow background for the range of known '74 LE cars

- added letter coding for:

c = car has chassis number listed
d = car has date code listed
s = car has sportomatic transmission

bye1.gif Andy

PS: if you haven't done so already, please take the time to update all your VIN information!
effutuo101
nice work Andy!
SirAndy
Even more updates to the VIN pages. I added pictures and better explanations to the "Help" links on the VIN editing page.
I also rearranged that page and added some more text to make it more clear as to what each option means.

Please let me know if that all makes sense and if the Help popups are actuall helpful (and correct!) ...
If you find anything that you think ain't right, please let me know ...

also, i added the following:

- checkbox for "does the car have a Sportomatic Transmission?"

- checkbox for "is the car a Factory GT or m471?"

PLEASE only fill out the "Custom Porsche Color" fields if your car actually has a "98" or "L98" color code or a code that is not listed in the dropdown.

If you car was repainted from the original color, please use the field "Current Color" instead!

beerchug.gif Andy
davep
QUOTE(SGB @ Jul 29 2008, 07:35 PM) *

Now I'll have a new quest- get VINs, get all VINs!

biggrin.gif I've been beating that drum for 30 years now. Finally some major progress.
bernd 1303
Hi,

VIN is added type.gif
Gustl
QUOTE(bernd 1303 @ Aug 7 2008, 04:22 PM) *

Hi,

VIN is added type.gif

Hi Bernd, welcome.png

the world is small, isn't it biggrin.gif

bye1.gif Gustl
pillay2k
Updated my VIN and added my Dad's. type.gif
SirAndy
QUOTE(bernd 1303 @ Aug 7 2008, 07:22 AM) *

Hi,

VIN is added type.gif

Hallo Bernd!

Herzlich willkommen ... welcome.png

beerchug.gif Andy
SirAndy
Added over 100 more VINs since the last update, a lot of them factory /6 cars ...

We now have 4391 unique VINs in our Database.
piratenanner.gif Andy

PS: If you haven't done so already, please update your VIN Info and add all your 914s, both past and present.
914werke
Got another one for ya Andy..Picked up a 76 today but its WAY far gone and is going
to Iron oxide heaven. sad.gif
bembry
Wow--my info and even an old pic is on there from Tim's 914 fan site from way back when--Cool! The car is white again now.
AgPete139
Great work, Andy!
SirAndy
QUOTE(rdauenhauer @ Oct 15 2008, 08:39 PM) *

Got another one for ya Andy..Picked up a 76 today but its WAY far gone and is going
to Iron oxide heaven. sad.gif

Make sure you get all the data off it before you start sawzall-smiley.gif

thumb3d.gif Andy
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.