Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: OT; The big lake refuses to freeze
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
rick 918-S
The Big lake is defying the 20 deg. below temps today.
olav
I guess all the pollution is helping not freeze.
rick 918-S
Lake Superior is the largest body of fresh water in the world. It takes a while for old man winter to do his work.
KaptKaos
Rich,

Where was this pic taken? We go to the Mouth of the Presque Isle, in the Porcupine Mts every summer. I can not imagine seeing the big lake at this time of year.

- Joe
rick 918-S
QUOTE(KaptKaos @ Jan 28 2004, 08:39 PM)
Rich,

Where was this pic taken? We go to the Mouth of the Presque Isle, in the Porcupine Mts every summer. I can not imagine seeing the big lake at this time of year.

- Joe

North of Duluth on the old scenic hwy 61. It's like the 2 lane coastal hwy in California.
KaptKaos
North of Duluth on the old scenic hwy 61. It's like the 2 lane coastal hwy in California.

I will never look at the big lake in the same way again. I love the U.P., but man, that just gives me the chills.

Stay Warm!

- Joe
skline
Largest body of water?? I was to the understanding that Bakail in Russia was the largest fresh water body on the planet? It holds more water than all the great lakes combined. Was I misinformed? Somebody check that.
skline
I did a little research:

Baikal's volume, at 23,600 km3, is greater than any other fresh water lake and makes approximately 20 percent of the world's surface fresh water. As a point of comparison, if you were to drain Lake Baikal, it would take the Great Lakes of the United States: Superior, Michigan, Huron, Erie, and Ontario to refill the empty basin
rick 918-S
I stand corrected. ONe of the largest bodies of fresh water in the world. Maybe in the US anyway. All I know is that it sure looked cool today. (in more than one way laugh.gif )
vortrex
big difference between volume and surface area.

hey I went camping/fishing at the porcupine mountains as a kid!
vortrex
"The world's second largest lake, and the world's largest freshwater lake is North America's Lake Superior at 31,700 mi2 (82,103 km2)."

Baikal, Russia is 12,162 mi2
SirAndy
QUOTE(vortrex @ Jan 28 2004, 10:34 PM)
"The world's second largest lake, and the world's largest freshwater lake is North America's Lake Superior at 31,700 mi2 (82,103 km2)."

Baikal, Russia is 12,162 mi2

that's surface, not volume wink.gif
vortrex
exactly, that's my point.

I look at it this way, what do you think of as bigger...

a 2000 sq ft house with 8ft ceilings or a 1500 sq ft house with 16ft ceilings?

got to stick up for my UP! smile.gif
SirAndy
QUOTE(vortrex @ Jan 28 2004, 10:43 PM)

got to stick up for my UP! smile.gif

yes, but he said:

"Lake Superior is the largest body of fresh water in the world"

emphasis on "body" which is volume, not surface laugh.gif

anuther pissing match in the making ???
pissoff.gif Andy laugh.gif
maf914
QUOTE(SirAndy @ Jan 28 2004, 11:01 PM)

Yeah, maybe. But this is something really worth arguing about! laugh.gif laugh.gif laugh.gif

Mike
rhodyguy
i have cousins in buffalo. i don't know how you folks put up with the winters or the summers. whether superior is first or second, when you loose the sight of land while boating i get a little nervous.

kevin
rick 918-S
Ya, It's so cold here today they closed schools. Flesh freezes in under 5 mins. in these temps. Air temps today -28 deg. plus wind chill. I hope the gas company guy delivers my propane soon. The shop is now colder and just as dark.
vortrex
QUOTE(SirAndy @ Jan 28 2004, 11:01 PM)
QUOTE(vortrex @ Jan 28 2004, 10:43 PM)

got to stick up for my UP!   smile.gif

yes, but he said:

"Lake Superior is the largest body of fresh water in the world"

emphasis on "body" which is volume, not surface laugh.gif

ok, well you're always right, so with your great german mentality argue this point against all the websites out there.

by the way, here's the definition of "body of water" from the princeton dictionary.

Noun 1. body of water - the part of the earth's surface covered with water

notice how it says SURFACE.
SirAndy
QUOTE(vortrex @ Jan 29 2004, 06:11 AM)
ok, well you're always right, so with your great german mentality argue this point against all the websites out there.

by the way, here's the definition of "body of water" from the princeton dictionary.

Noun 1. body of water - the part of the earth's surface covered with water

notice how it says SURFACE.

of course i'm always right! unless i'm wrong ...

let's just blame it on my lack of knowledge of the "finesse" of the english language.

when i think "Body", i think 3D not 2D laugh.gif

drunk.gif Andy
rick 918-S
Well old man winter won the contest last night. The Lake froze over night! The two photos are about 16 hrs apart.
GWN7
Having the big lake freeze is a good thing, it lessens the "Lake effect" snow storms caused by the moisture it gives up.
Mark Henry
QUOTE(rhodyguy @ Jan 29 2004, 05:55 AM)
i have cousins in buffalo. i don't know how you folks put up with the winters or the summers. whether superior is first or second.

kevin

We are about 150 miles due north of Buffalo.
They get 2 feet of snow and we'll get 2". It's all lake effect snow.

We live about 5 miles inshore from Lake Ontario in the ridges, so we never get any lake effect snow.

That said we have had 2 feet of snow here this week.
rick 918-S
One more picture of the defeat. Man that was quick!
iamchappy
I remember one time when I was up at Lutsen when the lake froze it was way below zero. When the waves were crashing the spray froze and you would get pelted by it. in the morning the ice was heaved up in huge sheets really cool.
rick 918-S
imchappy, I thought you were goin to Florida to hang with quarl!
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.