Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: OT: Better handling characteristics mid-engine or AWD ?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
levonfarra
I am just tossing ideas around for what my next daily driver should be. I am considering WRX or MR2 Spyder what would handle better?

Best,

Levon
Zundfolge
Well this is kind of an apples to oranges comparison, but according to Motor Trend, the 2008 Impreza WRX STI pulled .91g on the skid pad

The 2003 MR2 Spyder pulled .88g

Even so, I bet the MR2 Spyder is probably going to be more fun to drive.
i love porsche
there is more to compare between those cars than just the fact that one is AWD and one is a Midship Runabout

the MR2 is alot smaller and has much smaller tires, also lighter, more like a 914

the WRX is more powerful, and heavier, the AWD does make it handle well, and it is a better choice for a year round car, it also is going to have larger tires which will provide more grip

i would have to agree that the fun factor lies with the MR2, but practicality lies with the WRX. how tall are you? if youre around 6' getting in an MR2 is a SQUEEZE. i used to valet, believe me

test drive both, then you shouldnt even have to ask
Root_Werks
Audi TT Quatro. Look better in my opinion. We have one in our family, always get 28-29mpg averaged. Handles our crappy public roads great as well.

driving.gif
J P Stein
I have a 93 Mr.2 turbo. with about 160K miles on it & everything works including the original turbo. Failures consist of one rear wheel bearing.....thas it. It's a Toyoda, dude.

It's a bit more butt heavy that a 914....rear break away does get telegraphed more better.
I wouldn't buy one older than 93. The earlier Gen 2 ones could get downright evil in the handling department. If you can find an all stock one (like mine).....gud luck.....buy it.....mine ain't F/S, BTW. Most have been "modified" by twits.
URY914
When is some one going to AWD a 914? I don't mean some jacked up POS. Do a decent job of it using P-car parts. We've done everything else to these rust buckets.
SirAndy
QUOTE(levonfarra @ Jul 23 2008, 08:11 PM) *

Better handling characteristics mid-engine or AWD ?

Yes ... shades.gif
Zundfolge
QUOTE(URY914 @ Jul 24 2008, 07:31 PM) *

When is some one going to AWD a 914? I don't mean some jacked up POS. Do a decent job of it using P-car parts. We've done everything else to these rust buckets.

Would be interesting to see someone modify a C4 drivetrain to a 914.

Of course its going to end up being a rear engine 914 and no longer a mid engine (kinda hard to route power from both front and back of the motor, or run a drive shaft from the transaxle AROUND the motor to the front dif.
SirAndy
looks like there should be enough room in there for a 2nd transmission ... biggrin.gif

btw. the schematic is looking at the car from the underside, hence the steering column on the top ...
smash.gif Andy

This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.