Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: To rain tray or not to rain tray?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
LetoAtreides
So, I got a new battery that's too tall to fit with the rain tray in (mine's cracked anyway). Is the tray really necessary? Tell me if I'm an idiot for removing it, please.
Rand
Depends on how much your car will be in the rain.
LetoAtreides
California coast?
Eric_Shea
I'd just get the proper battery.

P.S. I have an IMMACULATE early rain tray available if anyone is interested. New, in the box with Porsche sku stickers. biggrin.gif
ArtechnikA
/6's never had a rain tray.

If you have an Optima or other fully sealed battery, and rainshields if you are running any induction with vertical stacks, you shouldn't need a tray. Car will run cooler without it anyway.

But one big the reason 'The Hell Hole' gets that way is rainwater fills the vent holes in the battery, which overflows its acid.

You bought an Optima, right ?
LetoAtreides
I have DellOrtos with vertical stacks, but they have air cleaners on them. Will rain still get in?
LetoAtreides
And the battery is just a filler until I get a new one. It's a next-to-new Interstate out of an old dodge caravan. I'm just wondering if I'll have to put the tray back on when I do get the right battery.
Eric_Shea
But one big the reason 'The Hell Hole' gets that way is rainwater fills the vent holes in the battery, which overflows its acid.

You may want to put the tray back in... or get a sealed battery as Rich suggests.
Cupomeat
If you don't have watersheds on a 4cyl carb install, you should have the rain tray in place to keep the water from the filter elements. I wouldn't want to have water sitting on my pretty engine anyway, even with no filter issues.

A friend of mine was successful in lightly molding the end of the rain tray to keep it from hitting his optima by heating the end with a heat gun (or was it a torch, lol) and using a large object to mold it slightly once it got to a moldable temperature. Take your time with this project as you can get plastic to a bad state quickly.

It isn't obvious that there was any alteration of the tray without comparing it to an original.

I'd do this only to a non-perfect rain tray.
Ferg
QUOTE(Eric_Shea @ Jul 24 2008, 02:52 PM) *

P.S. I have an IMMACULATE early rain tray available if anyone is interested. New, in the box with Porsche sku stickers. biggrin.gif

av-943.gif
ArtechnikA
QUOTE(LetoAtreides @ Jul 24 2008, 06:57 PM) *

I have DellOrtos with vertical stacks, but they have air cleaners on them. Will rain still get in?

it did in my car...

had to put it in top gear and push it gently backwards to flush the hydrolocked water out of the cylinders into the exhaust. I was lucky - cars have broken heads, connecting rods, and pistons encountering hydrolock.

Get some proper rain shields. I've actually seen baking pans used and they seemed to work just fine albeit with that certain Rube Goldberg look. Or always carry some trash bags and ALWAYS bag the air cleaners if it looks like rain or the car will be unattended for long periods. (and try to remember to take them back off again before trying to start the car ;-)...)
tod914
Pat Garvey has been looking for an early tray Eric, please contact him.
Lavanaut
QUOTE(tod914 @ Jul 24 2008, 03:14 PM) *

Hook, line and sinker... laugh.gif
computers4kids
QUOTE(tod914 @ Jul 24 2008, 04:14 PM) *

agree.gif It better be as described. av-943.gif
SirAndy
here's what you need for your carbs ...

Pat Garvey
QUOTE(Eric_Shea @ Jul 24 2008, 04:52 PM) *

Eric,

This IS a very cruel joke - right?
Pat
headbang.gif
Pat Garvey
QUOTE(LetoAtreides @ Jul 24 2008, 04:47 PM) *

So, I got a new battery that's too tall to fit with the rain tray in (mine's cracked anyway). Is the tray really necessary? Tell me if I'm an idiot for removing it, please.

Hmmm, let's see. If you have a four (assumed), then you have all kinds of vital electrics on the motor that are unprotected from the wet elements.

You know Porsche didn't put that tray there for no reason. It rains even in Callyfornyah now and then.

Cracked or not - put it back! (yeah, like it isn't cracked!....)
Pat
Joe Bob
QUOTE(Eric_Shea @ Jul 24 2008, 02:52 PM) *

You have one?

OR

Doing this just to piss off Garvey?

Hey...I know a guy who needs some 914/6 wheels..... bootyshake.gif
MoveQik
QUOTE(Eric_Shea @ Jul 24 2008, 03:52 PM) *

Now that's a dick. wub.gif

As for the rain tray, move to AZ. You'll never ask about a rain tray again.
Pat Garvey
QUOTE(Eric_Shea @ Jul 24 2008, 04:52 PM) *

If it doesn't say "1 Stueck", I don't want it!
Pat
bs.gif
helios
I was thinking of making my rain tray removable. I'm planning on leaving it in place most of the time, but I was thinking that it might help cooling a bit on hot days and going over the passes (weather permitting) if I was able to remove it. Am I just being crazy, or does it sound like a reasonable idea?
JPB
Rain trays? Naaaaaah, just replace rain trays with garage and all is well beer.gif
VaccaRabite
If you have a carbed car that will only be a fair weather driver, I don't see the reason for one. The engine compartment will be cooler w/o the tray.

Zach
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.