Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Porsche shifting question - DE
914World.com > The 914 Forums > The Paddock
Bill Smith
I am running a 74 914 with a 901 trans with a quaiffe. Running in Blue and really wanted to go to white so I was really pushing and showing that I could be agressive. Running at Summit point, WV which is probably the same as most tracks. Long Straight followed by a 180 degree turn.

Going down the straight in 5th gear, shift light comes on so I am close to redline, full throttle, 500 feet sign, 400 feet sign, 300 feet sign - off throttle - full brakes, 200 feet sign, 100 ft sign, clutch in - Shift from 5th to 3rd with a throttle blip and turn in going about 50 mph.

My problem is sometimes I rake the gear. I read in an article that you should pause in the middle of the shift to smooth it out. I think my eyes were wide open and I was trying to hurry the shift because I was taking the turn fast - MY instructor even said that was hotter than I take it but your car really holds. One time he even yelled that I was spinning but it was just trail braking and I throttled out of it. At the end of the session he did say I was ready for white - will probably get moved up next event.

Is there a good way to learn to shift smooth?? - I dont want to screw up my ride.
SirAndy
QUOTE(Bill Smith @ Jul 24 2008, 06:12 PM) *

Is there a good way to learn to shift smooth?? - I dont want to screw up my ride.

there are limits to how fast you can shift a 901. they're 40 year old technology and will never shift like a modern transmission.

the rennshift and JWest linkage really helped getting a nice gated feeling, which in turn helps with quick shifting.

on the track, i *always* blip the throttle when shifting, not just for downshifts but also for upshifts. seems to help a bit.

other than that, just spend more time with your car! experience is the biggest advantage ...
driving.gif Andy
mudfoot76
QUOTE(SirAndy @ Jul 25 2008, 01:02 AM) *

there are limits to how fast you can shift a 901. they're 40 year old technology and will never shift like a modern transmission.

on the track, i *always* blip the throttle when shifting, not just for downshifts but also for upshifts. seems to help a bit.

other than that, just spend more time with your car! experience is the biggest advantage ...
driving.gif Andy

agree.gif

Seat time, seat time, and more seat time. Also try the JWest shifter, that will help some. But in the end, practice is what will give you the best results. Or if you have cubic dollars, figure out a way to connect a more modern transmission to your car.

At my 'home' track, there is one corner where I occasionally have to downshift to second gear in my teener if I'm stuck behind a car with more HP but less turning ability. If I am in a hurry, I can feel a slight grind as if I may be nicking reverse. If I am gentle and take my time, no problems.
Todd Enlund
Does double clutching help? I've never been in a position to drive a 914 that hard...
SirAndy
QUOTE(Todd Enlund @ Jul 25 2008, 10:38 AM) *

Does double clutching help? I've never been in a position to drive a 914 that hard...

i don't think so ... double clutching was a *must* on old cars without syncros ...

just take your time shifting and you'll be fine!
biggrin.gif Andy
Racer
1) Seat time

2) NEVER rush a shift. Its DE, not racing for example. Take your time. Also, it should really only take the force of two fingers to move the gearshift, not a big old, adrenaline filled fist.

3) Downshift earlier.. and yes, it can be smoother to downshift through the gears rather than skip a gear.. why? you do a better job of rev matching, imho. You might try double de-clutching as well.

4) Are you using a heel-toe technique?

At Summit point, you not only have to deal with scrubbing off a lot of speed (essentially terminal top speed down to the 40-50mph range) but it does get bumpy in the brake zone and well, T1 itself is getting nicely washboarded.

While I can go fifth-third, I prefer the timing/sequence of a 5-4-3 downshift.

You mention it yourself that you entered faster than ever before.. both good and bad really. Good to learn the car will stick.. bad, because it made you "hurry up" your motions. I would even guess that you might have turned in a bit earlier than usual to "make sure" you made the turn.

Oh, and speaking as an instructor, a student that drives "fast" doesn't impress me much. Its the student who:

1) Manages traffic (both passing and being passed) calmy and quickly
2) SMOOTH inputs - braking, steering, shifting etc
3) Is consistent in driving "their" line, lap after lap, session after session
4) is aware of alll around him - flags/flag stations, track conditions, being critical of mistakes made, anticipating well the actions of the cars ahead of you AND behind you (ie, braking for T5 at SP and knowing if someone is going to collect you because they misjudge you etc)

BTW, which 914 was yours?
grantsfo
Practice your heel /toe technique. Thats going to save your tranny the most. Also will make you faster and safer.

I have the JWest linkage and it definitely helps with finding correct gear and not catching the wrong one.
HAM Inc
Rennshift and the JWest linkage. Anything else short of that, or comparable quality, is going to be frustrating. BTDT.
Good innerds in the tranny are essential too. My F-Prod 914 went from a lousy shifting turd to a great shifting car. All it took was a Blake Meridith rebuilt tranny with all new synchros, sliders, a Rennshifter and JWest linkage. That's all! Just a couple grand$$!
sww914
I practice my heel-toe almost everywhere that I drive. I'm still not perfect, but practice practice practice.
Bill Smith
thanks guys - I will practice
carr914
As an Instructor(21 years), I agree with Dave. Students that try to impress me with speed, usually don't get passed. I want to know that they will be safe around other drivers, so I look for consistency, and all the basics (heel& toe, good hand positon, looking up the track, use of mirrors, being comfortable with the terms of instruction, and car control).

The drivers that make it all look Slow are the fastest ones on the track.

T.C.
drew365
I was a speed shifter till I bought the 914. You can't shift a 901 like an American 4 speed. Don't skip gears, do the 5-4-3 downshifts and match the revs. Do a search here on trans coolers. Your gear box may be heating up.
HAM Inc
Don't mean to be argumentative (it's just not my style!) but I have no trouble skipping gears on my race car. Going into turn 7 at Road Atlanta I drop straight from 4th to 2nd,and going into 10a I drop straight from 5th to 3rd. Going into 10a I can actually brake much more effeciently by not dealing with the extra downshift. Going into 7 there just isn't time to go through 2 gears without getting out of the throttle a bit sooner.

The big breakthrough for my car was to hook the Rennshift to the JWest linkage with a fresh rebuilt tranny with all new synchros and sliders. It helped tremendously too that I gated the neutral travel at the shifter. That makes every shift identical and much more precise.

Since I did all of the above prior to this season I haven't missed a single shift, or grabbed the wrong gear. Swepco gear lube too.
hot_shoe914
QUOTE(grantsfo @ Jul 25 2008, 05:03 PM) *

Practice your heel /toe technique. Thats going to save your tranny the most. Also will make you faster and safer.

I have the JWest linkage and it definitely helps with finding correct gear and not catching the wrong one.

Heel/toe? Must be nice. I am 6'4 and 275lbs with a size 13 shoe and a center console. I am not afforded that luxury but I can shift with the best of them. sheeplove.gif
carr914
I would think that a bigger foot might help you Heel/Toe, But I don't know about 13's. I have extremely small feet (size 8) which makes it tough to get pedal contact.

T.C.
hydroliftin

Heel/toe? Must be nice. I am 6'4 and 275lbs with a size 13 shoe and a center console. I am not afforded that luxury but I can shift with the best of them. sheeplove.gif

I'm same height and shoe size and don't have any problem with the heal toe thing, but then I got rid of the center console.
Joe Bob
Go thru ALL the gears in the natural order....blip the throttle in between to keep the revs up so that it's close to matching once the cluych is out. You'll be busy....
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.