Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Optima - The only true 914 cancer abatement option?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
jesiv
Ok, so I my optima totally died WTF.gif . It was sad sad.gif .

What and how do you charge your red top? What is the best charger for the optima?

Regards,

James
Joe Bob
The digital chargers suck.....my old Sears analog rocks.
SirAndy
QUOTE(jesiv @ Jul 24 2008, 08:40 PM) *

how do you charge your red top?

I have used electricity in the past with good results!
beer.gif Andy
ws91420
You are supposed to use a charger rated for AGM batteries. If you dont want to buy one if you take it somewhere to charge it make sure they use that type of charger or you will most definitely kill it.
jesiv
QUOTE(SirAndy @ Jul 24 2008, 09:47 PM) *

QUOTE(jesiv @ Jul 24 2008, 08:40 PM) *

how do you charge your red top?

I have used electricity in the past with good results!
beer.gif Andy

Andy

Are you implying that I should actually plug a 914 (much less mine) into the USA electrical network grid? WTF.gif I am very concerned with the potential consequences of such a real time connection dry.gif . I am prepared to plug a 914 into the network buffered by a charger piratenanner.gif … The question is which one drunk.gif ?

Regards,

James
Rand
I didn't think the Optima red top took anything special. confused24.gif

I run my car enough that the alternator keeps it up. If it was too low to crank I would jump start it. If I wasn't going to run it long enough to replenish naturally or it was low, then I would use a basic trickle charger made for car batteries.

If it is going to sit a long time without running (like months over the winter) then maybe a battery tender to keep it topped off.
ws91420
HERE is a link to a page for reccomendations to charging an OPTIMA
OPTIMA SITE CHARGING GUIDE
roadster fan
Hey James,

Looks like the link to the Optima recommended charging procedure is what I do for regular lead acid batteries. If it died and early death maybe just a lemon.

BTW, missed seeing you up in Scotts Valley at Canepa Design on Saturday. We should plan another bay area owner's trip there before the 914/6GT sells.

Sorry for the quick hijack good luck with your battery.

Jim
hcdmueller
I let my red top sit for 9 months and it was down to 8 or 9 volts. I used my motorcycle charger to get it back up to 13 or so. It is only 1/4 amp and it took just over a week. The battery is fine and I have not had a problem with it since.
kerensky
QUOTE(Rand @ Jul 24 2008, 09:55 PM) *
If I wasn't going to run it long enough to replenish naturally or it was low, then I would use a basic trickle charger made for car batteries. If it is going to sit a long time without running (like months over the winter) then maybe a battery tender to keep it topped off.
Every time I see this topic come up I toss in my usual warning. Trickle chargers and battery tenders seem to be OK for use, but do not use a regular car battery charger on your (stock) 914 without disconnecting the battery. This can and will fry your fuel injection ECU. I went thru two that way. headbang.gif
Rand
Good point Chad. I always do pull the battery out before putting it on a charger.
beerchug.gif

Actually I started the habit years ago (before I used Optimas) of setting the battery outside on the ground, because of the off chance the lead-acid batteries could boil over and leak acid while charging.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.