Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Horn Not Working
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Ian Stott
Little round metal nub that looks like the top of a round screw is the contact point for when you beep the horn as far as I can figure, rubber inside of steering wheel is to make the inside portion of the steering wheel bounce back into position when you beep the horn, am I right so far?? Any chance of someone posting a pic of what that should look like.

Ian Stott
Moncton
Canada
Elliot Cannon
I don't havd a stock wheel in iether car, so a pic wouldn't do you any good. I think you might find a diagram somewhere on Pelicanparts.com.
Cheers, Elliot
Ian Stott
Thanks, hadn't thought of that, I'm sure we can get something working and I would like to stay as original as possible. I've already experienced helpful people who have lots of neat ideas that just wouldn't be what I want.

Ian Stott
ericread
What year is your car? There are some differences per early and later years.

Are you trying to troubleshoot a specific problem, or just dissect your horn mechanism? If you are looking to correct a problem, please provide the specifics so that we can assist.

Eric Read
Ian Stott
I swapped the steering wheel from my 74 1.8 into the 73 2.0 as the 73 was badly cracked and sun faded, the 74 steering wheel had a rubbery kinda donut which I think was to make the horn return to it's proper position after pushing on the horn portion of the steering wheel. I'm not sure what the rubber is actually supposed to look like, so I don't know if mine is badly mangled or OK.

Ian Stott
Moncton
Canada
markb
Go to Pelican & look up the parts diagram. You'll probably need to replace the rubber horn button.
ericread
Okay, here we go...

Click to view attachment

You have items 1,2 and 6 in your horn setup. Items 4 and 5 are not part of the 74 horn assembly, and items 3 and 7 are for the steering column bearings.

Item 2: This is in your steering column assembly. The ring on the outside provides elecrticity to the horn wire, which is attached. The black tab on the bottom of this is the turn signal canceller.

Item 6: The horn base plate attaches to your horn pad (the part you push to cause the horn to announce). The wire from the ring attaches to the tab on this ring.

Item 1: The horn boot keeps the horn pad away from the steering column. When you push the horn pad, the edge of the base plate makes contact with the steering column, which causes the horn circuit to close, causing the horn to announce. When you let up from the horn pad, the boot pushed the base plate back up and away from the column assembly, and the horn circuit opens, causing the horn to stop announcing.

That's it in a nutshell. Use a multimeter to trace your 12 volts through your column assembly and it should show you where your problem is...

Good luck!

Eric Read
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.