Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Potential 914 buyer
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
JackVrooder
I apologize for asking a question that has most likely been asked and answered many times. I am seriously looking at buyingone of these classics. I have a 944 that I am selling ( too complicated of a car for me). Any thoughts or things to watch out for when i go shopping for a 914? I have owned Fiats most of my adult life so i know little about the 914 except I like the looks.
thanks
Jack
TINCAN914
Use the search feature, there are so many different topics.
Rust should be at the top of your list though. Check the longs and hell hole for starters. Again ue search and you can learn from others mistakes or challanges... Good luck..
ericread
Pelican Parts has a pretty good article on what to look for:

http://www.pelicanparts.com/914/How_to_buy_a_914.htm

And search in this forum for a Jeff Bowlsby thread that includes a Pre Purchase Inspection checklist.

Both of these should be useful in your search for a good teener.

Good luck!

Eric Read wavey.gif

SirAndy
QUOTE(JackVrooder @ Jul 25 2008, 07:53 AM) *

Any thoughts or things to watch out for when i go shopping for a 914?

Rust, Rust and then some more Rust. Hands down the biggest problem on a 914.

There are a few areas that are prone to Rust, mainly the "Hell Hole" and surrounding areas as well as the floor pans, the rear trunk floor and the jack posts.

The Hell Hole is the part under the battery tray (if it hasn't rusted away yet). Battery acid drips down on top of the passanger frame rail and eats through it. This can also effect the engine shelf on that side and the suspension console(!).
If the top of the framerail has rust or was "repaired", make sure to remove the rocker panel on the pass. side and inspect the area just behind the jack post closely. More often than not, rust has made it's way all the way down there through the frame.

The floor pans usually rust right in front of the rear firewall from a leaking rear window (very common). Looks can be deceiving as the pans are coated with a thick layer of tar, which will hide the rust. Do the "crunch" test by pressing firmly on the tar. If you hear crunching, you got rust.

The rear trunk floor is prone to rust because of leaking taillight seals.

The jack posts accumulate dirt and debris from the rear tires that gets wedged inbetween the body and the rocker panels. You will have to remove the rocker panels to check.

You can also do the "big butt" check. Remove the targa top and with *both* doors open, stand on the pass. side frame in the door opening. if the car "sags", you got rust in the frame.

The '73 2.0L seems to be the most desireable of the bunch as it has the most power (no later model smog equipment) and least weight (less impact protection and lighter bumpers).

As a rule of thumb, buy the best car you can afford for your money! Rust repairs are time consuming and costly ...
bye1.gif Andy

PS: welcome.png
AvalonFal
In addition to all of the above, if you're looking for original, I would check for the correct fuel injection system and engine code for the appropriate model year. There are lists on this site and in 914 reference books that have the necessary info.

Paul
warrenoliver
One other thing to keep in mind. Once you find a likely candidate, try to find someone to do a PPI (pre purchase inspection), for you. Ask on this board if there is anyone nearby who can take a look at the car. There are a lot of knowledgeable and helpful guys here. smilie_pokal.gif

Good luck!

Warrenoliver
Cevan
And take alot of pictures. We love to look at pictures of 914s and will be happy to scrutinize them for you.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.