Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: THIS is how you drive a 914..... PERIOD!
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
moggy
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v4sP0lJYgB4

Would love to be up against this guy in my rally 914 smile.gif Just need about another 100bhp
SirAndy
QUOTE(moggy @ Jul 25 2008, 02:41 PM) *

Just need about another 100bhp

that, and a set of extra large balls ...
smilie_pokal.gif Andy
watsonrx13
WOW.... that was incredible ..... He bounced off the rev-limiter a couple of times...

Really neat video... aktion035.gif

-- Rob
carr914
Let me borrow the URY mobile again and that guy is Lunch.
T.C.

Click to view attachment
So.Cal.914
It would be nice to have a 'C P S' like that in the pass seat (Corner Positioning

System). Mine just keeps telling me I am going to fast or I just missed another

parking spot. sad.gif
PeeGreen 914
Yes please biggrin.gif
jimkelly
drive it like you stole it, dude with red gloves : )
ericread
Other than bouncing off the rev limiter, the guy can drive. Sweet video!!!

Eric
TC 914-8
WOW,

Try to follow what gear he's in thru the whole video. He's a mad man!!! petal to the metal.

Reminds me of our trip thru Mt Rainer, WCR08. Except 150mph faster, and he didn't get lost.
driving.gif w00t.gif

Tony
markb
I think I wet myself. unsure.gif
johannes
That't italian driving style ! ... wink.gif

This one is not bad too
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k7w0HeD0EAw

Enjoy ! ...
JRust
That is one sweet video! I don't think I'd have the balls to drive like that thru there confused24.gif Or the skill for that matter dry.gif
Eric_Shea
Thanks guys... we were vacationing in Italy and the wife wanted me to grab some milk. wink.gif
SirAndy
QUOTE(johannes @ Jul 25 2008, 11:39 PM) *

This one is not bad too

Enjoy ! ...

he makes it look so easy! smilie_pokal.gif

nice save around the 4 minute mark ... driving.gif

but i could have done without the music ...
huh.gif Andy
ArtechnikA
...and why you need a RennShifter at around 3:30...
Eric_Shea
Other than bouncing off the rev limiter, the guy can drive.

If you've got it, why not use it?
ericread
QUOTE(Eric_Shea @ Jul 26 2008, 03:19 PM) *

Other than bouncing off the rev limiter, the guy can drive.

If you've got it, why not use it?

I don't know..... I see the rev limiter as a protection device, not to be used instead of proper throttle technique. That he bounced against the limiter a few times shows how close to red-line he was throughout the drive. I still think you should respect the red-line and not depend entirely on the rev limiter.

But his driving is insane - in a good way. His wheels are on the very edge of breaking loose on the early turns. And he takes a very aggressive line throughout the course.

Sweet! driving.gif

Eric
Eric_Shea
His throttle technique rocks. Many drivers use the rev limited in certain situations vs. constantly watching at tach etc., especially on major twisties like that. Compared to the 7 minutes in the run, he only hits the limiter a few times.

I honestly have no room to critique that guy.
SirAndy
QUOTE(Eric_Shea @ Jul 26 2008, 04:53 PM) *

His throttle technique rocks. Many drivers use the rev limited in certain situations vs. constantly watching at tach etc., especially on major twisties like that. Compared to the 7 minutes in the run, he only hits the limiter a few times.

agree.gif no time to watch the tach on a drive like that. you don't want to take your eyes off the road, even for a split second.

you drive "by ear" (and shiftlight, if you have one) and hitting the rev limiter is not at all uncommon.

in fact, in certain situations, it's *faster* to just keep the rpm up at the limit and maybe bounce on the rev limiter than upshifting. shifting costs time, and if you're close to a slower part, upshifting and then downshifting again will cost you more time than to just "ride it out" ...
driving.gif Andy
johannes
QUOTE(SirAndy @ Jul 26 2008, 12:35 PM) *

QUOTE(johannes @ Jul 25 2008, 11:39 PM) *

This one is not bad too

Enjoy ! ...

he makes it look so easy! smilie_pokal.gif

nice save around the 4 minute mark ... driving.gif

huh.gif Andy

I agree. 2/3 of the clip is without music.

At 3:50 "poor little fiat 850 sport coupe" ....
At 4:41 " moron Alpine driver !!! ... "
At 5:24 " Wow ! this was hot !!! "
Dr Evil
Reminds me of the drive we all did once on the old hwy 1 in Baja.....my 2.0 was not exactly as thrilling, but the twisties were similar and I shot flames out of my exhaust smile.gif Ask SLITS, he was there.

I need a valume after that video,YIKES!
HeloMech
So for the innexperienced in the crowd... what type of engine setup is in something like those cars? Are they mod'd 914/6 or something entirely different?
ArtechnikA
QUOTE(Dr Evil @ Jul 27 2008, 12:36 PM) *

I need a valume after that video...

Pharmacopoeia is next semester?

"Valium"

(Between working for the nation's largest drug dealer and married to a Director of Nursing, we get most drug spellings correct...)
ArtechnikA
QUOTE(HeloMech @ Jul 27 2008, 12:50 PM) *

So for the innexperienced in the crowd... what type of engine setup is in something like those cars? Are they mod'd 914/6 or something entirely different?

The 914.6GT (if this car is trying to be period-correct) was more like a slightly detuned 906 than a modded 914/6. approximately 210HP with the usual factory tricks, but single ignition. 46mm Webers. Redline somewhere in the 8000 rpm range.
tat2dphreak
freakin' awesome!!
jfort
watched both videos. thanks for the links. fun!
Zundfolge
QUOTE(SirAndy @ Jul 26 2008, 02:35 PM) *

huh.gif Andy

I agree, although its weird, that's the third or fourth in-car racing video with that particular song in it (did it come from the Spinout or Speedway soundtrack?).

Oh well, it beats all the IDPA/IPSC videos that use that stupid "let the bodies hit the floor" song.
6freak
QUOTE(moggy @ Jul 25 2008, 03:41 PM) *

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v4sP0lJYgB4

Would love to be up against this guy in my rally 914 smile.gif Just need about another 100bhp

ONLY IN A SIX CAN YOU GET THAT SOUND aktion035.gif
rjames

I dunno, this type 4 sounded pretty good too...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1uFRrbjy_pM...feature=related
bondo
QUOTE(ArtechnikA @ Jul 27 2008, 08:59 AM) *

QUOTE(Dr Evil @ Jul 27 2008, 12:36 PM) *

I need a valume after that video...

Pharmacopoeia is next semester?

"Valium"

(Between working for the nation's largest drug dealer and married to a Director of Nursing, we get most drug spellings correct...)

Actually, the good Dr. Evil found out early on that his handwriting was much too good to be a medical doctor. When that happens you have two choices... start writing left handed (right handed for lefties of course) or spell worse to compensate. laugh.gif

Great videos, but it's really hard to get a sense of the speed without the inertial effects. It looks fast, but I'm sure if I was in the car, I'd realize that it's even faster than it looks! As far as music goes, there's a WRC compilation video from I think 2002 or 2003 that uses Linkin Park's "In the End" for the music. It's synced to the music pretty well, and is still one of my favorites. To this day I still drive faster when that song comes on the radio... It's going to get me in trouble one of these days. That video got me interested in Rally to the point of going to a rally school. I almost started building a rally car, but got into 914s instead. MDB2.gif
anderssj
GREAT videos!

I like the one johannes picked out . . . I can't get over all of the people standing around the start area--and at the turns, walls, etc., etc. Pretty sure we wouldn't see anything like that here.
championgt1
I have to agree with Sir Andy. You have to have massive balls to do something like that. If you make just a very small mistake that could be the last one you make. Awesome video!! pray.gif
Hammy
QUOTE(ArtechnikA @ Jul 27 2008, 10:03 AM) *

QUOTE(HeloMech @ Jul 27 2008, 12:50 PM) *

The 914.6GT (if this car is trying to be period-correct) was more like a slightly detuned 906 than a modded 914/6. approximately 210HP with the usual factory tricks, but single ignition. 46mm Webers. Redline somewhere in the 8000 rpm range.

So what size engine?
ArtechnikA
QUOTE(Hammy @ Jul 28 2008, 09:41 PM) *

So what size engine?

2,0 liters

However, the 914.6 that Hurley Haywood drove to a win at the 1998 Monterey Historics "Tribute to Porsche 50th Anniv" was a 2,9 built on an original 2,0 case, so the real answer is probably "Two-ish" liters ;-)
Eric_Shea
Most are 2ish. I was at that race and there was griping all around about what was in the cars. "Most" had at least been upgraded to 2.5 to meet new class rules later in life.
johannes
QUOTE(rjames @ Jul 28 2008, 02:43 PM) *

I dunno, this type 4 sounded pretty good too...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1uFRrbjy_pM...feature=related

The same pushing harder ... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4eYnSv14Czk

This four sounds even better http://video.google.fr/videoplay?docid=4691758296819443654
TeenerTim
After I watched the first vid, this one came up. An unbelievable 914 crash with lots of air. Watch the backgroud in the first few seconds.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.