Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Removing Oil Cooler with Engine IN
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
tornik550
A few days ago I changed my oil cooler seals with the engine in the car using instructions that are posted on pelican parts. It was a very bad experience and I will never do it again. I was quite upset when I got everything back together and saw that the leak was not fixed. I realized that I had to remove the oil cooler which I have always been told must be removed with the engine out of the car. As I was preparing to remove the engine, I decided to try to see if I could remove the cooler without removing the engine.

Bottomline- it is easy to do and MUCH quicker than removing the engine.

List of tools-
Jack
Jack Stands
Socket wrench
Socket set (I forget the sizes- I think 10mm and 13mm)
Various socket extensions
Allen wrench set (size- I forget)
Flat head screwdriver
Beer- for step 11

Instructions-
1- Place car high on 4 or more jack stands.
2- Remove 10 cheesehead screws from the from engine tins. most of them are obvious however there are three that tough to find. One that is accessible from the top. it is located right (passenger side) of center in the area that dips into the fan. There is one that is accessible from under the car. It is located under the alternator. The other difficult to find one is on the very front of the tin in front of the fan facing the firewall. Be aware that there may be some bolts that are hidden under the engine bay seals. Also, the above tin info is based on my car which has 2.0 tins, others may be different.
3- Under car- remove the tranny shift linkage. There is one hex bolts that needs to be removed just behind the firewall and in front of the engine mount bar. (side shifter only- I am not familiar with rear shift)
4-Under car- pull the drivers side front engine tin down and remove. Then remove the other tin by pulling them down also. You can now access the fan.
5- Loosen the alternator
6- Under car- Removed 3 fan bolts and remove fan
7- Disconnect the alternator from starter and from relay board
8- Under car- Remove 4 cooling shroud nuts and remove cooling shroud. Pull the shroud out the bottom.
9- Remove the oil cooler

10- Cold Beer

11- Put everything back on in reverse.

This was my first time trying this. It took me about 45 minutes. I think that removing everything could take only about 15-20min. Putting everything back together takes a bit longer.

Thanks,
Steve
brant
I'm confused....

it's super easy and takes no time, but you'll never do it again because of the miserable experience?

please explain.
Dave_Darling
He's saying that the seal replacement was miserable, and he's found a faster way; one that lets him remove the cooler completely.

--DD
tornik550
DD had it right. Changing the seals without removing the cooler as directed in a technical article on pelican parts was the difficult one. The new way is easy, just takes a little time.

Gint
If I'm not mistaken Clay Perrine has a nifty how to article in the Lapuwali Classic Thread Forum for replacing the oil cooler seals with the motor in the car.

And if you still have a leak after replacing the cooler seals it may very well be from the oil pressure sending unit.
ClayPerrine
QUOTE(Gint @ Jul 26 2008, 10:15 AM) *

If I'm not mistaken Clay Perrine has a nifty how to article in the Lapuwali Classic Thread Forum for replacing the oil cooler seals with the motor in the car.

And if you still have a leak after replacing the cooler seals it may very well be from the oil pressure sending unit.

Direct link to the How To Article.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.