Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: noob fuel questions
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
pedalpower
I searched. Read some interesting threads. Even one about which states experience the most freedom. Alas no direct answers, so...
I just found a 74 2.0 with 49,000 miles and the original owner says I can have it for a small fortune. Needs injectors replaced, and fuel lines replaced.

I searched injectors and three possibilities pop up with three very different prices. The most expensive are the Bosch at 200 a pop, then the bosch at 70 a pop, and then the off brand at 30 a pop. Actually, I bet the injectors in the car are fine but need new rubber, but my gut is telling me that the 200 a pop is going to be the answer.

I will need to replace the fuel lines as well. Any indea as to who makes a fuel line that I'll only have to replace once? Where and how much?

I'll be going through the car over the next few weeks and will have a better idea of whats going on (first hand knowledge) for more detail.

Many thanks!
PP

P.S. I don't have a signature but my vehicles are as follows:
1956 oval window polar blue (original everything exept for a 12V upgrade and 36 horses...but I still have the original engine as well)
1973 jeep cj-5 (original yellow 304 V8 three speed stump puller)
1985 honda Aero 50 (peppy lil bugger)
1990 FZR 400 (redlines at 15000 and makes 70 MPH feel slow)
2000 jeep cherokee sport (the grocery getter)
1974 014 2.0 (yellow with brown interior)
and more minibikes (custom) and bicycles (some custom some off the rack) than a guy should have...

swl
Welcome aboard pp!

The injectors do develop leaks in the body that can't be repaired. Most problems however can be repaired by a quick trip to the injector cleaners. They will clean and overhaul for about $12 an injector. The only way to know is to get them pressurized and see what happens. if there are no obvious leaks risk the bucks to get them cleaned before buying new. There are a lot of carb conversions that happen with 914's - usually the result of MPS or other high cost FI component failures. You can put a WTB ad in the classifieds and see what pops up.

If there is really only 49K on the car the injectors should not need replacing. Does the car run in it's current state? The reason I ask is that fuel pumps are an expensive item with significant failure rate. As is the MPS (Manifold Pressor Sensor) and to a lesser extent the distributor.

Fuel injection hose outside the engine compartment can be had from any bug shop. The stuff they used in the engine compartment is a little different because of fire fears - the 914 had a recall that replaced the fabric jacket lines with a hard(ish) jacket. There is also an elbow between the injector and the pipe that needs to be replaced. You probably will have to go online to get those. Auto Atlanta has them and I think Pelican Parts as well. There are also nylon (plastic) lines in both the engine compartment and the tunnel. RacerChris makes stainless replacements for these that are worth every cent. Depending on the environment the car has been in the plastic can get brittle particularly where it exits the tunnel under the engine. Also don't forget the lines under the tank and the screen inside the tank.

Can't emphasize enough how important it is to ensure you have good rubber in the fuel system - these cars do have a history of fuel line failures and subsequent fires. Rubber just doesnt last 35 years.

Theres a strong northwest contingent here - you may find someone who will be willing to check out the car with you. May even belong to someone here.

Good luck - let us know how it goes.
Oh - and if you can get the vin and add it to Andy's database that would be really appreciated biggrin.gif

ericread
agree.gif with Steve. Well said.

Eric Read
pedalpower
I just wanted to thank you for the info/ideas.
Looks like I'm going to have to wait 'till I get some "extra" cash together. I think the RacerRick lines sound the best. I just put braided lines in the jeep, and it really makes the lowtech look hightech...that is to say I like it!
I will keep things updated and if I end up taking it home over the next month I will definately post the vins etc...
Much thanks
PP
Sleepin
Also check with Tangerine Racing about stainless steel lines for the tunnel! A safety must!

:plugsmiley:
ChrisFoley
QUOTE(pedalpower @ Aug 4 2008, 04:22 PM) *

I think the RacerRick lines sound the best....

Also check with Tangerine Racing about stainless steel lines for the tunnel!

Racer Chris; Ranger Rick; Tangerine Racing; CFR; Chris Farley, lol - all aliases for Chris Foley. biggrin.gif
Trevorg7
welcome.png

Agreed, check Tangerine Racing for the fuel lines. Do a search and you'll find a few threads about replacing them.

T
Sleepin
QUOTE(Racer Chris @ Aug 4 2008, 03:23 PM) *

QUOTE(pedalpower @ Aug 4 2008, 04:22 PM) *

I think the RacerRick lines sound the best....

Also check with Tangerine Racing about stainless steel lines for the tunnel!

Racer Chris; Ranger Rick; Tangerine Racing; CFR; Chris Farley, lol - all aliases for Chris Foley. biggrin.gif

Yeah, that guy! av-943.gif
peetzinc
QUOTE(pedalpower @ Aug 4 2008, 01:22 PM) *

I just wanted to thank you for the info/ideas.
Looks like I'm going to have to wait 'till I get some "extra" cash together. I think the RacerRick lines sound the best. I just put braided lines in the jeep, and it really makes the lowtech look hightech...that is to say I like it!
I will keep things updated and if I end up taking it home over the next month I will definately post the vins etc...
Much thanks
PP

The SS fuel lines are the best investment I made. I am in Oregon (Salem) if you are close and want to see them in practice.
Dave_Darling
Note that nobody makes "flex lines" that you only have to replace once. The rubber lines degrade over time (with exposure to gasoline), and should be replaced about every other year.

The stainless lines that Chris sells, AFAIK, are the "hard lines" through the center tunnel. Those would appear to be "lifetime" items. (I'm sure someone will correct me if I'm wrong!)

There are a whole lot of hoses around the 914; replacing them all with steel-braided ones is very costly. And would be a right pain to do well, as much of the 914 fuel system does not have threaded or flared fittings... Not to mention, SS braid makes a good file for other things in the area, especially if it's an area you can't see easily.

High-pressure fuel line, and Fuel Injection hose clamps are what you want. Those are the Omega-shaped (or horseshoe shaped) clamps with rolled edges, not the nasty worm-gear things that cut into the hoses.

--DD
Cevan
Having done this over the winter (replaced all the fuel lines front to back), I concur with all of the above.

1. Get Chris' SS fuel lines here.
2. Replace the rest with new rubber FI hose, including the elbows between the fuel rail and the injector (bug shop, AA, Pelican Parts).
3. Use FI clamps, not the cheap screw type that cut into the hose.
4. Send the injectors out to get cleaned and tested (Witch Hunter, Cruzin' Performance). Mine cost $16 per injector.
5. Replace the 2 rubber seals for each injector (AA, Pelican Parts).
6. While you have the tank out, replace the brass screen inside the tank ($7)
and the fuel filter.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.