Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: starter amps?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
DarrenG
ok, this bites.

I put the engine back together & reinstalled it. It turned over once and ran for about 6 seconds, then quit. After that, it won't start at all. I can't get it to turn over, so I'm guessing: starter, flywheel/tranny connection or worse. (didn't we just have a post with a similar problem)

I took the starter to FLAPS and it tested on the machine at 50 amps. Is this enought? Haynes says 35-50 no load. I've seen other sources say it should put out up to 110 amps or more.

Before I pull the tranny, does anyone know about the starter specs?

thanks

D
Joe Bob
Check grounds, check voltage at the starter...look for drops.

I had an issue with a bent starter shaft due to a worn bushing in the bellhousing.
VaccaRabite
QUOTE(DarrenG @ Jul 26 2008, 12:01 PM) *

I put the engine back together & reinstalled it. It turned over once and ran for about 6 seconds, then quit. After that, it won't start at all. I can't get it to turn over, so I'm guessing: starter, flywheel/tranny connection or worse.

Before I pull the tranny, does anyone know about the starter specs?

Describe what happens when you try and start the car.

Is there a clicking sound?
No sound at all?
If you pull the spark plugs, will the starter turn the motor over?

I am guessing that you do not think that the starter is turning?

Can you turn the motor by hand? (put in first gear, and turn one drive wheel with the other wheel on the ground).

Zach
VaccaRabite
Also, when the motor stopped after 6 seconds, did it make "bad noises" and quit abruptly? Or just peter out and die.

Zach
DarrenG
QUOTE(Vacca Rabite @ Jul 26 2008, 01:44 PM) *

Also, when the motor stopped after 6 seconds, did it make "bad noises" and quit abruptly? Or just peter out and die.

Zach

Peter'd out and died. no bad noises at all.

Update: New starter measured 52 amps (old one was 50) when hooked to the machine at FLAPS. So, not the problem.

Engine will NOT rotate. It rotated just fine prior to install -even with tranny attached.

Pulled the tranny, then the clutch, still won't rotate.

Sound it was making was a hard crank - not sure how to describe it. But it will not turn over. Looks like I'm going back in....
Joe Bob
No plugs and out of gear....no rotation...not good.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.