Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: 914/6 engine tin- metal or glass?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
rfuerst911sc
Hopefully this posting will have less passion then my last one biggrin.gif Anyway I'm at a point in my /6 conversion that I need to purchase the perimeter engine tin for the 3.0. I have found new metal tin for aprox. $425.00 for the set unpainted. I have also found some fiberglass tin for $225.00. The price of the glass is attractive but what are the downsides of the glass if any? And assuming the glass is unpainted do you leave it raw or do you normally paint it?
sixgt
Either is fine, metal is more durable, the tin will hang up a bit sometimes when putting your engine in and out. If you are careful the fiberglass is fine. The fiberglass will usually come gel coated, if you get the amber one it should be clear coated. I would paint it because it does get dirty and greasy over time. I've used both w/ no problems.
PRS914-6
You should be able to find a better price.....I prefer the metal. Easy to modify and repair. I have damaged mine with engine removal but you can straighten it out pretty easy.
Joe Bob
QUOTE(PRS914-6 @ Jul 27 2008, 07:55 AM) *

You should be able to find a better price.....I prefer the metal. Easy to modify and repair. I have damaged mine with engine removal but you can straighten it out pretty easy.

I prefer metal. I used glass once and not impressed with fit....once it's in, it's hard to tell the difference though.

736convers (Brian Frenz) who posts on this site is a good source or a914guy@aol.com (Rich Johnson). I believe that both sell on eBay and should be listed in the vendor section on the site.
Dr Evil
I use glass and it is fine, especially for the price. The only thing is that I would reinforce the mount points for the side pieces as they were weak and cracked. It still works, though.
SirAndy
I bought the metal tin from Patrick Motorsports and the fitment was a dissapointment. I had to do a *lot* of work to it to make it fit ...

dry.gif Andy

PS: attached is a pic of the tin *after* i was done with it and before it went to the powder coater ...
Eric_Shea
I had a set of glass tins that I gave to Jeff who in-turn gave them to Effutou101 (from the looks of things). wink.gif

I had the honor of having factory tin and the glass tin side-by-side. It was obvious the glass tin was a mold of the factory tin. I think it requires some work to get it perfect but, once you bolt everything together and spray the glass with a nice semi-gloss black, I would doubt very much you could tell the difference while standing looking down into the engine compartment.

Heed the warnings of others herein. I'm sure the glass can be delicate if it catches on a rubber seal etc.
rfuerst911sc
QUOTE(mikez @ Jul 27 2008, 08:15 AM) *

QUOTE(PRS914-6 @ Jul 27 2008, 07:55 AM) *

I prefer metal. I used glass once and not impressed with fit....once it's in, it's hard to tell the difference though.

736convers (Brian Frenz) who posts on this site is a good source or a914guy@aol.com (Rich Johnson). I believe that both sell on eBay and should be listed in the vendor section on the site.

Rich Johnson is who quoted me the price on the metal tin. I need the throttle linkage kit also and Rich provides that also and gave me a good quote for both ( cheaper ). I won't quote the price as he may have given me a good price because I'm such a great guy biggrin.gif but it was much better than 425.00.
sixnotfour
I had a set of glass tins that I gave to Jeff who in-turn gave them to Effutou101 (from the looks of things).

Nope ,He bought his own , I am saving yours/mine for my Ginther car ,thats getting paint.

Glass/Steel used em both , glass is fine if you dont have to R&R the motor frequently.
scotty
QUOTE(Dr Evil @ Jul 27 2008, 09:23 AM) *

The only thing is that I would reinforce the mount points for the side pieces as they were weak and cracked.

Oh yeah...I have glass. It works just fine. Except for the time a piece came off (What was that thunk?), fell under the car (Hey, that thing in my miiror looks like...!), and was run over by a bus (Aaawwww, nuts!).

...metal would've been easier for me to repair, but i can fix fiberglass now! blink.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.