Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Look Mom! It's a JWest Eccentric Steering Spacer
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
stepuptotheMike
So I ordered this a couple of weeks back. Just finished up the installation today. Made sure to take a few pics along the way.

For a point of reference, I am 6'5" and 300lbs... in other words pushing the limits of space in the 914. biggrin.gif So I'll take every little bit of extra space to get my leg between the wheel and the shifter.

I'll warn you now... this is an incredibly complex installation. Full of risk and great peril. If you are brave enough and think you have what it takes..... maybe you too can join the ranks. driving.gif

The reference shot:

Click to view attachment

A little liquid assistance helps the job to run smoothly.

Click to view attachment

Adapter installed:

Click to view attachment

Continued in next post.....
stepuptotheMike
Next step is install the horn button adapter. This was a must for me and I had to get it from ebay as it is not included in the JWest kit. I ordered one from Ebay that looked exactly like the picture that is referenced on the JWest site. When I got it was slightly different in that it had a tab pulled up for a spade connector. Didn't need this in my case, so I had to cut it off to get it out of the way. I also had to tweek the horn ring a little bit because it's not held in with tabs or anything... just really friction. So a couple of minutes tweeking the horn ring and then throw on the wheel.

Here's a shot of the wheel installed on the adapter. This is the vertical position, top of the wheel as reference to the dash:

Click to view attachment

Rolled the wheel over to the inverted postion and this is what I get:

Click to view attachment

And here's a nice closeup of the installed wheel/adapter:

Click to view attachment

So overall impressions.... Nice product. Well made. I haven't driven the car with it yet as it is still on stands while I finish up replacing shocks and springs. I'll get that finished shortly and do a full road test.

It would be nice to have the horn ring adapter included with the kit, so didn't have to get it from a second vendor, but such is life and it's certainly not a show stopper... just a nice to have.

I'll take the video camera out to the garage and spin the wheel a couple of times to demonstrate the offset.

-Mike

stepuptotheMike
OK... let's see if I can get the video action to work....

<edit>Oh well, can't seem to get it embeded. Here's the link.</edit>

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xG-y06LBBwk

-Mike
Gint
I didn't know James even made such a thing.

JWest
QUOTE(stepuptotheMike @ Jul 27 2008, 12:34 PM) *

It would be nice to have the horn ring adapter included with the kit, so didn't have to get it from a second vendor, but such is life and it's certainly not a show stopper... just a nice to have.

I did not include it because most people should already have it - only the really old cast adapters had the ring built in so it can't be moved to the new location.

Thanks for the geat write-up!
orthobiz
um
embarrassing stupid question

so, what does the adapter do and why would someone need it?

Paul
JWest
QUOTE(orthobiz @ Jul 27 2008, 05:11 PM) *

um

Paul

Here is the link.
Gint
QUOTE(orthobiz @ Jul 27 2008, 04:11 PM) *
um

Paul

The answer is in the original text by the post author:

QUOTE(stepuptotheMike @ Jul 27 2008, 11:24 AM) *
For a point of reference, I am 6'5" and 300lbs... in other words pushing the limits of space in the 914. biggrin.gif So I'll take every little bit of extra space to get my leg between the wheel and the shifter.
McMark
Am I missing something, or doesn't this mean the wheel will be lower than usual when turned 180*?
stepuptotheMike
QUOTE(McMark @ Jul 27 2008, 07:52 PM) *

Am I missing something, or doesn't this mean the wheel will be lower than usual when turned 180*?

Yes, but it's also out 16mm further, and given the angle of the steering column, it cancels that out to some degree.

Click to view attachment

-Mike
Gint
And you don't spend that much time with the wheel turned at 180 degrees. You're certainly already in the car which is where a big guy might have the most trouble.

I don't need one, but I can see why someone might. And I think it's a cool idea. And I applaud James for making an off the wall item for 914's that some people need and will buy. Thanks.
JWest
QUOTE(McMark @ Jul 27 2008, 06:52 PM) *

Yes, it does not sound like a great solution but in practice it has worked well on factory 911 (3 and later 4 spoke), 924, and 944 wheels (check one out and you'll see it is not centered).
McMark
That makes sense, I just wanted to make sure I was understanding. thumb3d.gif

Very cool.
stepuptotheMike
OK... so it was a productive day today. I finished up the new rear shocks and springs. Then I put the passenger headlight bucket back together.

Took the car out for a drive this afternoon and the steering spacer really does make a difference. Shifts were much easier, both up and down. The few millimeters of additional space really do help.

If you're a big guy I would highly recommend this nice little option. aktion035.gif

-Mike
VaccaRabite
I just ordered one of these based on this review. Had been considering it for a while. Word of mouth works.

Thanks!

Zach
JmuRiz
QUOTE(Vacca Rabite @ Aug 3 2008, 08:19 PM) *

I just ordered one of these based on this review. Had been considering it for a while. Word of mouth works.

Thanks!

Zach

Let me know what you think as well, I think the same way...only need 2 reviews before I decide, hahaha.
VaccaRabite
QUOTE(JmuRiz @ Aug 18 2008, 04:36 PM) *

Thanks!

Zach

Let me know what you think as well, I think the same way...only need 2 reviews before I decide, hahaha.

Well, I bought one. Went to install it and found out that I had one of the older Dino wheels that still had the 5 bolt pattern and not the Momo 6 bolt pattern. For whatever reason, I was sure I had a 6 bolt wheel. Live and learn. I'm going to keep it in case I decide to get a different wheel.

Zach
byndbad914
QUOTE(stepuptotheMike @ Jul 27 2008, 04:14 PM) *

QUOTE(McMark @ Jul 27 2008, 07:52 PM) *

Yes, but it's also out 16mm further, and given the angle of the steering column, it cancels that out to some degree.

Click to view attachment

-Mike

At that slight of an angle it won't make any real difference. The wheel rotates about an axis at the center, therefore the top becomes the bottom at 180 at the exact same location, therefore it is still the same offset shift from axis, and the wheel is that offset amount lower than it would be without the spacer. The angle would slightly translate the bottom of the wheel forward, but the cosine of a small angle is basically 1.0 At a 12 deg tip it is .978 (I forget the exact wheel tip but close to that IIRC)

So if it offset the wheel up 1", then at 180deg it will be close enough to 1" lower that it is basically 1" lower (.978" lower at 12 deg). If anything be slightly further forward negates it as the bend in your knees at that height is at the dash, so your legs are ramping up.

BTW, ain't knocking the part, just clarifying that if it is 1" up it is also basically 1" down at half turn.

As stated, really only an issue on really tight turns or U-turns.
r_towle
QUOTE(Vacca Rabite @ Aug 18 2008, 06:08 PM) *

Thanks!

Zach

Well, I bought one. Went to install it and found out that I had one of the older Dino wheels that still had the 5 bolt pattern and not the Momo 6 bolt pattern. For whatever reason, I was sure I had a 6 bolt wheel. Live and learn. I'm going to keep it in case I decide to get a different wheel.

Zach

I must say this.
STOP buying.
FINISH building
START driving.

I expect to see the car all done for hershey next year.

Rich
moordi
I'm pretty small (5'6"), but I bought one of these because my Momo wheel obscures the top of my tach and speedo when centered. With James' eccentric I now have as clear a view of the gauges as I'm going to get.

This is a very nicely done product (i.e., perfect fit and finish), which you would expect from anything that carries the JWest brand.

The one thing I'll say is that it *does* feel odd when making quick sharp turns, but I can definitely see myself getting used to it fairly easily. It's certainly not going to be any more odd than a wheel that's not round by design, such as the Momo "Commando" wheel or some of Sparco's more radical looking wheels.

All in all a great product and finally I'm no longer the only eccentric in my 914!
tronporsche
To Mike and the rest of you guys........ I notice this thread was posted a few months back, and I don't know if you have found your solution, but once again, I highly suggest THIS set up........ I have all of the room in the world for my legs. I am 5'11. ..........O.K. you have the adapter or "spacer"......now, get the "quick release" mechanisim..............Click to view attachment these two combined not only bring the wheel closer, but a little higher.....next, Click to view attachment get the 90 degree wheel , and smaller diameter, mine is a 13 inch. The 90 degree wheel is meant for racing; it brings the wheel closer to you so your arms won't get tired from being stretched out so long. Not only does this make more room, but the quick release makes life so much easier......snap off wheel to get into and out of the car, snap back on. simple. No more twisting your left knee to get out of the car. Also......get the short shift kit and stick, this saves your right knee from getting beat up !!! I have responded to threads like this several times so far, and will continue to do so, because I really feel sorry for you guys who are suffering in your 914's because you won't do this simple change !!! confused24.gif

MOMO WHEEL: $206.25

MOMO HUB ADAPTER: $61.20

NRG QUICK RELEASE: $89.95

COMFORTABILITY, SIMPLENESS AND RELIEF: ........PRICELESS !!!!!!!
VaccaRabite
QUOTE(r_towle @ Aug 18 2008, 10:40 PM) *

QUOTE(Vacca Rabite @ Aug 18 2008, 06:08 PM) *

Thanks!

Zach

Zach

I must say this.
STOP buying.
FINISH building
START driving.

I expect to see the car all done for hershey next year.

Rich

Ha! I just saw this.
ScottyB is comming over the weeken of Nov 7-9 and we are going to try and get the car as complete as we can. It may be drivable by Xmas, giving PA 3 months to get the title settled by Hershey.

Zach
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.