Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: how much is it worth?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
tat2dphreak
first off, I generally don't like these types of topics, but I need some advice....

rather than put in one of my 2 engines(1.8 bus and a 1.7), both of which probably need a complete rebuild...but both would run, but haven't in about 9 months(1.7) to 1.5 years(guess on the 1.8) I would like to get a solid, good running motor... 2.0 preferred... that can maybe wait 1-2 years on a rebuild, or that maybe has already been rebuilt. first off, how much would a 2.0L rebuilt longblock(or complete with FI) engine cost?

2nd, I have a 2nd project, that has kind of been abandoned... it was cheaper/EASIER for me to buy another body than do the body work on the car... but it is basically a complete project: '72, complete 916 kit, would go with either engine(buyer's choice), tranny, and a ton of extra parts(3 extra 1.7 heads, lot of interior and electrical and brake stuff)... my wife and I would like to get rid of this stuff... I don't know what it's worth... the body is not in *that* bad of shape... it mainly needs paint, but no MAJoR dents... slight rust under the battery(of course, but not bad enough to need replacing) and rust in front floorpan(under spare tire, this piece would have to be replaced)

it all boils down to this though: I don't have the CASH to outright buy a 2.0... however I would like to trade some one what I have + the little bit of cash I can afford, for maybe a discounted 2.0... am I dreaming?

let me know what you are thinking, honestly. if you need some pics, it's the white car I have pics posted on the web(links below)
redshift
Watch the classifieds, and PP classifieds.

Scott Kline sold a 1200-1500 mile 2.0 for $1350 about 3 months ago, that happens 4-5 times a year.

M
tat2dphreak
do I take that as "the parts I have are not worth a trade?"

if so, that is fine... I was just hoping to get something for the stuff.. but I don't want to insult someone with trade negotiations

I do watch the classifieds as much as I can... the problem is finding something like that local..

thanks for the input... that was about the price I was expecting for the 2.0
redshift
You will see things as shammy as GPR selling cores for $750 though.

I think a top core price for a GA case is $500.

Your best bet is to find people who love cores, and VW motors, for VWs, there must be someone with a bug who dreams of having your big blocks..

laugh.gif

M
tat2dphreak
LOL, thanks redshift! that's a good idea!
a friend actually sent me a link... I talked to the guy today... a 2.0 L... NO TIN(how much will that kill me? to find AND buy) and this particular 2.0 blew a sparkplug huh.gif out the head... the guy *thinks* it would only take 50$ to fix the head... I don't know but that sounds like bs.gif for these engines... he was under the impression that it was a thing a machine shop could slip right in... I thought the sparkplug threads were cast... molded into the head... which would mean a fractured head! definately NOT $50!

he wants me to make an offer, since it was running good, right up to that point... what do you think?
415PB
I have a complete 2.0 D-Jet, side shift tranny. It might need a rebuild, I have to look into it further. PM me and let me know what you are interested in trading. I was going to build a stronger spare engine for my 74, but what the heck, the wife is pissed as all hell at me as it is laugh.gif
rick 918-S
QUOTE(tat2dphreak @ Jan 29 2004, 04:39 PM)
2.0 blew a sparkplug huh.gif out the head... the guy *thinks* it would only take 50$ to fix the head... I don't know but that sounds like bs.gif ?

Where did we see pics of that motor? Wasn't that posted here?
tat2dphreak
QUOTE(rich 918-S @ Jan 29 2004, 08:32 PM)
Where did we see pics of that motor? Wasn't that posted here?

I saw the ad the maverick PCA site... but he may have posted here too... confused24.gif

I didn't see it though... I can probably get some pics...

and I may have another "local" lead... local for TX anyway... only 8 hours away! smile.gif

thanks for the offer 415PB.. I'll send you a PM!
tat2dphreak
can the spark plug issue above be fixed easily and cheaply with some sort of insert that a machine shop can install?
tat2dphreak
I'll get pics of the head and get you guy's opinion...
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.