Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: help me put a/c in my v8
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
pffft
Who has put a/c in their v8s? Renegade seems to have a serpentine setup
but it costs too much for me.
Simpson lists
-914 Air Compressor Mount: for Sanden or Sankyo #508 air compressor $205.00 -
and I am using his alt and pump mounts already.
Any other suggestions?

What have you done or seen done for the rest of the system that fits
reasonably well?

I just came back from driving around in the miata with the top down in
100+ and am thinking maybe I should upgrade the 914 before the motor
goes back in...

thanks!

patrick
computers4kids
agree.gif popcorn[1].gif
I'm with you brother...
I'm going to put ac on my v-8 as well...except Renegage wants my first born for the bracket. I would be interested in hearing what you find out. I have two complete DPD systems sitting on the shelf. Add a modern condesor, new lines, and rotary compressor I'll be in bus. I plan on using the DPD evaporator for the cabin. PS I talked to RH and they said they don't use the sanden anylonger because of numerous failures within a year...something to do with it running upside down.??

PS the adapter for the sanden can be had on ebay for $55
retrofit
agree.gif I don't have a V-8 but I'm interested in what you all come upwith for AC.
I have a '74 2.0. What do I need to get some cool air in this car? I have seen parts of AC units for sale here at World and other sites but I don't know what is necessary, out of date, can be modified, etc. Rumor is that a company in Florida is putting together a turnkey aftermarket kit for the 914's. Have heard nothing but good re their 911 based units.
Keep us posted re progress. Happy wrenching!
Allen
ps
I live in Turlock, North of Visalia, just So of Modesto, and yeah it gets hot as hell here too. With AC I could get more seat time in the summer. The cockpit of a 914 with black upholstry is like sitting in a heat sink! Bake brownies on the road lol.
andys
Patric, try Desert Hybrids in AZ for 914 V8 AC brackets; much friendlier pricing. Best to call.
http://home.earthlink.net/~adbuch/

Allen, for my V8 conversion, I'm using the Hot Rod Air under dash unit; looks very much like the dealer installed unit I had in my '73 2.0.
http://www.hotrodair.com/index.cfm/page/pt...=prod/prd93.htm

Andys
Kansas 914
QUOTE(retrofit @ Jul 28 2008, 10:35 AM) *

agree.gif I don't have a V-8 but I'm interested in what you all come upwith for AC.
I have a '74 2.0. What do I need to get some cool air in this car? I have seen parts of AC units for sale here at World and other sites but I don't know what is necessary, out of date, can be modified, etc. Rumor is that a company in Florida is putting together a turnkey aftermarket kit for the 914's. Have heard nothing but good re their 911 based units.
Keep us posted re progress. Happy wrenching!
Allen
ps
I live in Turlock, North of Visalia, just So of Modesto, and yeah it gets hot as hell here too. With AC I could get more seat time in the summer. The cockpit of a 914 with black upholstry is like sitting in a heat sink! Bake brownies on the road lol.

You are over - thinking this... see below. Of course more difficult if you have a radiator for a water pumper in there. idea.gif

1. No affiliation
2. Not my car
3. Not my idea
4. No - I am not thinking of doing this
5. No idea where I got this image

Click to view attachment

TedK
If you have not, read this write-up of a clean install. He sent me pictures of the compressor mount, but its for a Porsche six. Anyway, a good read.

AC into a 914-6
pffft
[/quote]
You are over - thinking this... see below. Of course more difficult if you have a radiator for a water pumper in there. idea.gif
1. No affiliation
2. Not my car
3. Not my idea
4. No - I am not thinking of doing this
5. No idea where I got this image
[/quote]

WOW, that's perfect !!.
I'll start checking out the neighborhood
after it gets dark tonight. I have to find a smaller one, though, cause the
stupid radiator takes up so much room.

rfuerst911sc
For a condensor has anyone tried installing a Porsche 964/993 fender mounted unit? These have a fan on them and they are the only condensor used on 964/993 Porsches and the AC works very well on those cars. For a /6 I would mount it in the passenger side rear quarter panel in front of the rear wheel. By doing this you keep the front trunk clean you only have to drill holes to run the refrigerant lines. When I finally get my /6 done and running I will start purchasing pieces to put AC in as it's hot as hell in Florida biggrin.gif
retrofit
QUOTE(rfuerst911sc @ Jul 28 2008, 04:19 PM) *

For a condensor has anyone tried installing a Porsche 964/993 fender mounted unit? These have a fan on them and they are the only condensor used on 964/993 Porsches and the AC works very well on those cars. For a /6 I would mount it in the passenger side rear quarter panel in front of the rear wheel. By doing this you keep the front trunk clean you only have to drill holes to run the refrigerant lines. When I finally get my /6 done and running I will start purchasing pieces to put AC in as it's hot as hell in Florida biggrin.gif

That's got to be one small package to fit in the fenderwell. Same location for a "4"? This would make for a very clean install! I could just see them all in the parking lot now-"ok he has AC, now where is it?"
Allen
creeg123

For a condensor has anyone tried installing a Porsche 964/993 fender mounted unit? For a /6 I would mount it in the passenger side rear quarter panel in front of the rear wheel.

So where would you get the air to blow across the condensor (with the fan)? From under the car? Just trying to picture its location.

Thanks
shelby/914
The Florida company is Gilmore Enterprises, but their web site still does not any any info on the 914 a/c unit except that its under development.

http://www.gilmore-enterprises.net/GH/index.htm
rfuerst911sc
QUOTE(retrofit @ Jul 28 2008, 04:39 PM) *

That's got to be one small package to fit in the fenderwell. Same location for a "4"? This would make for a very clean install! I could just see them all in the parking lot now-"ok he has AC, now where is it?"
Allen

It's not that small or too big, if you've ever looked in the front fender of a 911 there's not that much room by the headlight bucket. I am guessing the condensor and fan are aprox. 4 inches thick and maybe 14x14 square. Take a look in front of the right rear tire and that's a fairly large cavity there. I would think the lower you mount the condensor the more airflow there will be but the OEM 964/993 condensor fan moves a lot of air. On my 911SC I have a huge underbelly condensor ( no fan ) and a small condensor with fan mounted in the left rear wheelwell behind the tire and the system works good but I think the 964/993 condensor would work even better. I actually have to get one in my hands and take measurements before committing to the project. I'm at least a year away from that. I'm also going to have a front mounted oil cooler so I have to figure out hose routing for AC and oil lines. It can be done. beerchug.gif
BIGKAT_83

I'm using a underdash unit with AC and heat (looks just like the unit that Andys posted) also has a seprate set of vents in the rear for defrost. You can get this in complete kit without the compressor mounting bracket for $540 this includes everything compressor drier hoses evaporator.
Southernrods

Bob
cobra94563
popcorn[1].gif popcorn[1].gif popcorn[1].gif

I need it, too.
Joe Owensby
I also used components from SouthernRods. I have one of their evaporators inside the car. I decided to use one of the short units. It fits well, and looks nice. Have one of their Sanden508 compressors mounted to a modified York mount that I got from a parts car. I cut a hole in the trunk for the condensor. I used one of their remote condensors with built in fan. It works fairly well. For mounting the condensor, I cut the dreaded holes in the front trunk, and made a support to hold the condensor at about 15 degree angle to provide proper drainage for the refrigerant. I then made my own housing to allow the air to be drawn through the small front hole, over and around the condensor, and then to be forced through thecondensor and out the rear hole by the fan. I assume this is something like is used on the old aftermarket units . I just guessed this may be a good way to do it. I made the housing so that the spare tire can be installed over the unit. Total loss of trunk space is about 2 1/2 inches because the spare tire sits a little higher. to make the outer shroud, I just temporarily glued foam blocks into place, carved them to the shape I wanted, and then fiberglassed over them to make the housing shroud. I have since installed a simple metal bracket over this to support the spare tire. My camera batteries are dead, so I can't add more photos. The small evaporator is the one I used from Souternrods. It blows very well, and leaves a lot more foot room than the ones that extend further across the car. I also think it looks nicer. I bought my components individually, but I think the total cost was about $600 or so. I can supply more details if anyone is interested. JoeO
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.