Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Rear brakes
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Mavrick272
So does anyone know the secret to getting the clips off the rear brake lines where they meet the rubber hoses and getting the rubber hoses off?
I could use some advice

thanks

Trevor
PeeGreen 914
Take a pair of dykes and just pull them off. Easy peasy lemon squeezy biggrin.gif
Eric_Shea
Attach a pair of vise grips (really hard) and tap up with a hammer (really light)

Lemon Squeezy? aaron.gif biggrin.gif
Mavrick272
Hmm hmm hmm..
this may not be so lemony or so squeezy...

dyke?
SLITS
Obtain two tubing wrenchs of appropriate size.

Remove spring clip holding coupler of hardline to softline to body. Pull lines away from mount.

You can get just enough room to get the wrenchs on the fittings and pray that you can break the fittings loose.

Not really fun or easy.
PeeGreen 914
May have spelled it wrong but still the same.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Diagonal_pliers

You grab the portion that is sticking up and just yank them out.
PeeGreen 914
QUOTE(Eric_Shea @ Jul 27 2008, 09:44 PM) *

Attach a pair of vise grips (really hard) and tap up with a hammer (really light)

Lemon Squeezy? aaron.gif biggrin.gif

I am watching "the Greatest Game Ever Played" and the little cady says it. Couldn't help myself laugh.gif
SLITS
Put down the bottle and step away from the 'puter.
PeeGreen 914
QUOTE(SLITS @ Jul 27 2008, 10:13 PM) *

Put down the bottle and step away from the 'puter.

Sorry Ron. You're not here and I didn't know what to do av-943.gif
IronHillRestorations
Using flare wrenches on the brake lines is much better than open end wrenches.

I am watching "the Greatest Game Ever Played" and the little cady says it. Couldn't help myself laugh.gif

Good movie! One you can actually watch with the kids! Great story, and it's based on actual events.
6freak
QUOTE(Mavrick272 @ Jul 27 2008, 09:35 PM) *

So does anyone know the secret to getting the clips off the rear brake lines where they meet the rubber hoses and getting the rubber hoses off?
I could use some advice

thanks

Trevor

:remove with sawzall-smiley.gif replace with welder.gif ifin that dont work smash.gif
Eric_Shea
Sorry, missed the part about getting the hoses off.

You would benefit from new rubber hoses. In the rear, especially the passenger’s side, you will want to cut the hose as close to the top mount as possible. Get a 14mm (I think... it might be larger) deep well socket and put it over the remaining stub. Listen to Perry... use an 11mm flare wrench (got to PEP Boys and buy one if you don't have one) for the hard lines. While you're out shopping, get a MAPP torch. Heat the union before attempting the removal. DO NOT overheat the hard lines as the MAPP torch will literally melt them. If they get cherry red, allow time for them to cool before wrenching otherwise you will twist them like licorice. You may have to reach through an access hole in the tin to properly apply the flare wrench.

Good luck. Getting the soft lines off the rear is one of the worst jobs (2nd behind getting those rubber grommets with the tubes in them back in the top of the M/C).

wink.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.