Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Thinking of building a motor.
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
KaptKaos
I am running a 1911 in my car at the moment. I got the 1911 second hand and I like it, but I think it has issues. I think I should be prepared with another motor.

I have a 1.8 sitting on my stand in my garage. The original 1.7 on a dolly and a 2.7/6 in the black car.

I am trying to get the 6er running, but just haven't had a ton of time. So that's still a possibility.

I love weber carbs and have 44s on the 1911 (too much) and I want to keep using carbs.

So, I'd like to build a motor of moderate displacement (anywhere from 1.8 to 2.1) that uses carbs. I would be doing this on a budget (yet to be determined), But I want the sucker to rev. I know people say "you drive torque" but I've owned a lot of cars that were gutless down low (RX7, GS-R Acura) but were a blast to drive. I love winding out the gears. I'd keep the 1.8 if I had a combo that gave me a little more power and rev'd to 6500 reliably. I don't need a lot of HP, so 100 really does work pretty well for me.

I don't know if it's been done, or what would need to be done, but any insight is appreciated. I've read Jake's stuff and while he doesn't list the 1911 kit on his site, I think he still makes them.

Again, please don't hold me to anything, as I am just thinking out loud at this point.

TIA
sww914
If you want to keep the 44's you'll need to build an engine that can move more air. Larger displacement, higher compression, bigger cam, and probably bigger valves and ports.
My 2056 has 38mm & 48mm valves, huge ports, 10.5:1 compression and a huge cam. Weber 44's. It runs like a 1.8 on 3 cylinders under 3500 RPM's and then it takes off like a bat out of hell. Peaky, you could say.
To get a more driveable combo I'd go with more displacement and less ports, valves, and cam.
KaptKaos
That's the thing; I don't mind peaky.

To be honest, too much torque is what gets me in trouble. With a peaky motor, I have to have my boot in it and really be sure that it's what I want to do before the fun really happens. Torque can surprise you at the wrong time.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.